Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rock Auto Complaint

I just wanted to voice my bad experience with Rock Auto today:

My heater core went out this week, and I turned to Rock Auto to order my replacement. I ordered the part yesterday for overnight delivery. The website clearly said it would be delivered by Friday September 12th. I ordered based on that statement.

Later Thursday I received shipment confirmation that said it will be delivered Friday September 12. Today, no heater core and the fedex tracking updates to Monday September 15th. WHAT?!

I called Rock Auto expecting them to have good customer service and take care of me. Well, after talking to 2 people who's only answer was to "look at the website because it would not tell you it would ship the same day" I got fed up. I have written evidence that their system told me it would be delivered today and they told me I was wrong.

I asked for a refund of the part and shipping, and they said no refund for the shipping as they held up their end? I am stunned they would do this, and I expected a lot more from their customer service. They basically told me I was lying about a delivery date that they printed in their email.

I don't understand how they can do business like this. I will not purchase from them again, and I would advise others to think twice about their expectations from Rock Auto customer service.

Now, I have a car with a dashboard torn out and I had to re-order for Saturday delivery from Amazon!

Rant Over!!
    2011 Mustang GT Track Day car
    1985 Mustang Dominator GT

Previous cars:
    1979 Mustang 5.0 upgraded to a 351W (1987 - 1991)
    1985 Black Mustang GT Dominator T-Top (bought from Bluesfannoz In 1992 sold in 1993 RIP)
    1990 Mustang GT Titanium hardtop w/black leather (1993 - 1994)
    2004 Mustang GT w/a few bolt ons 255 RWHP (2004 - 2006)
    1985 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red Factory Sunroof 32,000 miles - Sold to the right person (2013 - 2016)

Hopefully you have better luck with Amazon. I always seem to have stuff ordered from amazon not ship for several days. Of course I haven't ever opted for next day delivery either. I've worked in the mail order parts business for 15 years. What you have to realize about most of the places you're ordering from is a lot of them don't have ANY inventory. They ship from different warehouses around the country. Depending on when you ordered and where that warehouse was you very well could have missed a cutoff for same-day shipping. We do have our own warehouse, but what we don't stock we ship from about a dozen others. I assume from Rockauto's site and my previous orders from them (which all went as expected) that they pretty much dropship everything. Which is fine and likely why they are able to sell at such a small margin of profit. I've always been happy with their service.

On another note after 25 years of wrenching on cars I NEVER take something apart before I have parts on hand when it's got to be driven. That's just setting yourself up for failure. You could have looped the heater core lines together and kept the car in service. I know a few people on here do DD their 4 eyes but counting on a 30 year old car as your only means of transportation isn't something I've been willing to do since my early 20's.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I have bought many things from there and had no problem. They rock! Lol! Give them one more chance and if they mess up again then the whole FEP forum will boycott rockauto!!!! Last chance rock auto!!! Lol

are you saying they didn't ship it, did the tracking number/info match the purchase date? maybe the day after?

just saying once it's out of their hands it's on the shipping company to get it there on time. fwiw I've had good service from rockauto so far anyway
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I only use them when I don't need something by a particular time. I've used them a lot though. I love that they carry Motorcraft, almost everything.

When I'm in the middle of working on something and find that I need a part, i'll often go to Auto Zone first just because they're the closest, but most of the time they don't have what I need on the shelf, and I end up waiting about as long as Rock Auto anyway.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Problem might be fed ex. i always have problems with them at 2 diff addresses.

Thanks for the responses everybody! I have bought several things from them in the past. This is the first issue I've had. You know, they say you can judge someone by how they handle problems. Rock Auto handled this one poorly

The issue was not with Fedex. I received a shipping confirmation from RA that it shipped yesterday and it would be delivered today. I didn't actually leave RA until today. Their customer service peopel told me that I was basically being untruthful about the situation even though I had written evidence in hand.

The long and the short of it is that there was a problem and RA refused to do anything about it. That is poor customer service in anyone's book.

Previous cars:
    1985 Black Mustang GT Dominator T-Top (bought from Bluesfannoz In 1992 sold in 1993 RIP)
    1985 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red Factory Sunroof 32,000 miles - Sold to the right person (2013 - 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk261 View Post
    The issue was not with Fedex. I received a shipping confirmation from RA that it shipped yesterday and it would be delivered today.
    Sorry for your trouble. I know that it stings when you don't feel fairly treated by a trusted vendor. But why don't you simply e-mail back to them the confirmation that you received? That should eliminate any doubt in their minds about your integrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

FEP Power Member

Sometimes it depends what time of day you ordered the part. Depending on where it was shipped from, FedEx and UPS have their scheduled pick up times as I'm sure they are at Rock Auto all the time. If say you ordered the part at 3:30 pm and the pick up time is 3:00 pm the part won't be shipped until the next day unless you have someone at Rock Auto do a special trip for you to manually deliver the part to the shipper which is unlikely.
    Also in your area of the country FedEx and UPS shipping centers are few and far between. So sometimes they might not make it until late in the day even if you request AM delivery. Sometimes not if there is weather conditions that delays a plane flight or if a truck breaks down or something like that. Had a lot of experience this way.
    I've had good luck with Rock Auto myself, although I've never done a rush delivery with them.

I like dealing with my local NAPA.

Good parts, professional service, free delivery.

I've never had a part they couldn't get for me "by tomorrow".

I like my local Napa too. But price-wise it's tough to beat rockauto even when you're in the business. I occasionally special order parts through some our suppliers at work for my other cars and often times I find I can buy things cheaper from them than I can from a wholesale supplier. But again I suspect they are just drop-shipping everything like most internet parts vendors. I've had a few minor issues with parts from them and all were handled professionally and to my satisfaction. Heck I pretty much built my whole Capri through their closeout specials! But in the OP's case I suspect it was a case where the order was confirmed as fine but wasn't really fine for same-day shipment due to the warehouse carrying out shipping the actual order. That could certainly have been handled better. But I'll bet any NAPA or other chain store could have had a heater core within a day cheaper than the overnight shipped price from Rockauto or amazon. But maybe the OP really lives out in the boonies.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I don't know about FedEx, but I have received a few orders from UPS which was transferred to USPS. And the postal service delivers whenever they feel like it.
    85 5.0. 68 cougar- hidden four eye.
    12 5.0
    02 6er

Quote Originally Posted by P51-Sled View Post
    I don't know about FedEx, but I have received a few orders from UPS which was transferred to USPS. And the postal service delivers whenever they feel like it.
    That's called surepost. And it SUCKS. We tried it at work for about a month on about 25 percent of our orders and it was a nightmare. We upset so many customers in that timeframe we ditched it. I would say a good 10 percent of the packages we sent got shipped back to us as undeliverable to customers we had been shipping to for years. Not to mention it took forever. And of course no recourse for us either. It was cheap but we sure got what we paid for.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Sorry to hear you had a issue with rock auto. I have dealt with there customer service in the past on an wrong part that was my own fault and they took care of me no problem. I never order anything online that need that quick. Too many local part stores that i can just go get the part from. Even if they have to get it in overnight i would rather deal locally. That way if there is an issue getting the part it is on them and i can deal face to face with someone.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

I received my heater core from Amazon this morning by 8:30 am and was able to finish her up today! Kudos to Amazon!!

I ordered the heater core online as no one had a Motorcraft unit in stock or had quick access to one. I live in the greater KC area, so certainly not in the "boonies" :-) .

I ordered from RA because I had never had any problems before, and their website clearly indicated that I would have the part on Friday. The problem I have with them is that when I called them to have them help me with the issue, I got a canned response using circular logic and they outright refused to do anything to satisfy me as a customer.

I told them that the website showed that the part would be delivered on Friday. Their response was that the website would not say that. In essence, they said that I was making it up. Never mind I have the email from them stating "Your order has shipped!" and "You should receive by September 12, 2014". It didn't matter what I said to them, They insinuated I was not being truthful and the website would not show that.

When a company screws up, as RA did in this instance by not shipping the part the day they sent me the email saying it was shipped, should do something to make up for that mistake. RA had no intention to make good whatsoever and told me flat out they did what they were supposed to do. That is where my complaint comes from. I understand problems happen. All of these companies are run by humans, so there will be issues. It is how you handle these issues that defines you. They handled it about a poorly as humanly possible.

Now I know that their business model is to sell parts cheap and deny they do anything wrong thus not having to let a single dollar go when they have screwed up. I can't say I will never buy from them again, but I will do my best not to. Unfortunately, they sometimes have Motorcraft stuff others don't.

Also, this is not a carrier issue. This is a 100% Rock Auto issue.

Thanks again for the opinions everyone! :-)

Previous cars:

Maybe i can clarify the order process

Last year i worked for a company that manufactures trailer hitches and related items.
    Assisted in the order picking, packaging, loading tasks of orders for product in the warehouse.

Take a site like Amazon. They send the orders directly to a vendor warehouse via pc.
    They process the payment, ship address, and forward all the data needed to the vendor.
    I would imagine Rock Auto has a similar system.

Daily orders from Amazon, etc, and local customers are picked and packed in the order received.
    Orders were received thru out the shift. We stayed until the order screens were emptied.
    The boxes were then loaded on semi trailers parked at the dock thru out the day.
    One trailer for FedEx, one for UPS. There also were common carriers on a daily route.

All standard ship, 2 and 3 day were combined and sorted further on.
    Single vans were sent out by UPS and FedEx to pickup 'hot' expedited items as required.
    The trailers were picked up in late afternoon whether full or not.
    It was the shipping companies freight once they signed the bills.

Everything is bar coded, scanned multiple times for tracking all the time shelf to door.
    Can be traced online via tracking number assigned to order(s).
    Only certain scan checkpoints show up. No constant real time minute to minute data.
    Order transit time depends on routes used, type of transit, weather conditions, etc.

Every warehouse (vendor) is different speed wise and inventory.
    There is a cutoff time for ordering for same day ship, then processing orders, usually near the end of shift.
    Of course, if a vendor has multiple shifts, they keep going.
    Same day ship means an order went out the door via carrier the same day it was received.
    The earlier in the day you order, the better chance it will be en route the same day.
    Last edited by gr79; 09-14-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Somebody is lying. Either Rock, or Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex might've lied to Rock, and they're all sticking to their stories. I'm not convinced that Rock is the problem here.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

i used R.A. about a month ago and i was not really thrilled about the shipping delay. the raybestos drums and brake hardware arrived right away, the shoes and e-brake cables took their sweet time getting here. i don't know what their deal is lately, they used to be great shippers. after three days part of my order hadn't even left the warehouse yet. my car was sitting on jackstands and i was not amused. i don't know if they're just that busy, or if they have some lazy kids pulling orders now.

Having worked for automotive performance warehouse distributors as well as automotive dealership parts departments for several years, I am VERY familiar with the process. My order time was 12:58pm CST. The shipping warehouse was in Little Rock, AR which is also CST. Again, RA sent me the email that said it was shipped. I have n reason to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Maybe i can clarify the order process

Last year i worked for a company that manufactures trailer hitches and related items.
    Assisted in the order picking, packaging, loading tasks of orders for product in the warehouse.

Take a site like Amazon. They send the orders directly to a vendor warehouse via pc.
    They process the payment, ship address, and forward all the data needed to the vendor.
    I would imagine Rock Auto has a similar system.

Daily orders from Amazon, etc, and local customers are picked and packed in the order received.
    Orders were received thru out the shift. We stayed until the order screens were emptied.
    The boxes were then loaded on semi trailers parked at the dock thru out the day.
    One trailer for FedEx, one for UPS. There also were common carriers on a daily route.

All standard ship, 2 and 3 day were combined and sorted further on.
    Single vans were sent out by UPS and FedEx to pickup 'hot' expedited items as required.
    The trailers were picked up in late afternoon whether full or not.
    It was the shipping companies freight once they signed the bills.

Everything is bar coded, scanned multiple times for tracking all the time shelf to door.
    Can be traced online via tracking number assigned to order(s).
    Only certain scan checkpoints show up. No constant real time minute to minute data.
    Order transit time depends on routes used, type of transit, weather conditions, etc.

Every warehouse (vendor) is different speed wise and inventory.
    There is a cutoff time for ordering for same day ship, then processing orders, usually near the end of shift.
    Of course, if a vendor has multiple shifts, they keep going.
    Same day ship means an order went out the door via carrier the same day it was received.
    The earlier in the day you order, the better chance it will be en route the same day.

Previous cars:

RA told me that it shipped and I would get it on Friday. They did not get it into FEDEX's hands until Friday afternoon. This is not a Fedex problem. RA did not get it on the truck when there was ample time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Somebody is lying. Either Rock, or Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex might've lied to Rock, and they're all sticking to their stories. I'm not convinced that Rock is the problem here.

Previous cars:

The understanding that I am getting is that it is (supposedly) perfectly acceptable for RA to have poor customer service and long shipping times because their parts are a little cheaper. I don't know that I subscribe to that way of thinking. I think I'll spend a little more and not deal with the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
    i used R.A. about a month ago and i was not really thrilled about the shipping delay. the raybestos drums and brake hardware arrived right away, the shoes and e-brake cables took their sweet time getting here. i don't know what their deal is lately, they used to be great shippers. after three days part of my order hadn't even left the warehouse yet. my car was sitting on jackstands and i was not amused. i don't know if they're just that busy, or if they have some lazy kids pulling orders now.

Previous cars:

FEP Supporter

The understanding that I am getting is that it is (supposedly) perfectly acceptable for RA to have poor customer service and long shipping times because their parts are a little cheaper. I don't know that I subscribe to that way of thinking. I think I'll spend a little more and not deal with the hassle.
    I haven't had to order anything form Rock Auto, O'Reilley's etc. to send up to Canada due to exaggerated shippping prices. You are sooo lucky you have them and Amazon to buy from. We cannot order and have anything shipped from Amazon.com to Canada and Amazom.ca does not carry automotive stuff like .com does. Lucky you have multiple options...

I would hope this was an isolated incident. Everyone nowadays relies on computers, bar codes etc. to feed the flow of info to us. It could have been human error if someone actually touches it after it's boxed. Maybe like they scanned it "shippied" and forgot it on the shipping desk when the truck picked up how many other boxes. Of course the vendor only has the info they do to pass on (or they aren't telling the truth).

Having been direct witness to Jayhawk261's phone and email conversations with RA, as I was helping him with the heater core replacement. I feel that if I were in the same shoes, that I would come to the same conclusion. Based upon the information provided by the RA website and subsequent emails. I too believed the part was going to arrive on time, based most specifically on the email that the item had shipped and would arrive on Friday Sept 12th. I have purchased many items online, knowing that estimated delivery dates on the website should be taken with a grain of salt. Typically a item shipped confirmation email has been very reliable though, in this case it was not. When the item had not in fact shipped when the email said, I believe he was within his rights to request the entire transaction be withdrawn and refunded for not only the part, but the expedited shipping as well. That is where I have to agree that RA failed in their opportunity to rectify the situation in a method that could have satisfied both parties. They refused to negotiate any on the shipping. That is the part that troubles me the most and makes me question purchasing from them as well. The one time I had a shipping issue with Amazon.com, they gave me a $5 gift card, no questions asked. No trying to make me feel stupid for not reading any fine print on my order. Hmmm.. did I end up spending the $5 with them? Yes I did. Just my .02 cents.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Having worked for automotive performance warehouse distributors as well as automotive dealership parts departments for several years, I am VERY familiar with the process. My order time was 12:58pm CST. The shipping warehouse was in Little Rock, AR which is also CST. Again, RA sent me the email that said it was shipped. I have n reason to think otherwise.
    Ah, you know how it works too. How its supposed to work. Most of the time it does.
    Someone dropped the ball. Missed the bus and no one caught it?
    Oh well. No heads roll. No assy plant line got shut down. Its only us.
    Someone at RA central got a conformation of shipped from the warehouse.
    Then they move on. Their job is done. I guess they have to believe what they see.

Everything is rush rush rush every day same old thing. Pushing system limits, the odds of error increases.
    Loaded on the wrong truck, etc. Damaged in route. Sent on the wrong plane ending up in Hawaii. Who knows?
    Once tracked an ebay item (located 100 miles away) routed in the opposite direction to a hub in Atlanta (700+ miles).
    Last edited by gr79; 09-14-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Ok, officially the weirdest deal ever!! Part arrived damaged. Dented at the end tank on the return side and dented in the core so bad a row crushed to half it's width. Now for the weird part. I call RA and they give me a full refund and pay for the shipping to return it. No argument, no problem. The guy had all the notes from my previous conversation, but he didn't know why they would not have taken care of me. He was surprised when I told him what my shipping confirmation email said and even asked me to email it to him to see if they needed to adjust their system (maybe total BS).

I am just stunned that after the fight I went through on Friday, today was literally unquestioned and a 5 minute phone call.

Name:  IMG_1059.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  140.9 KBName:  IMG_1060.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  103.3 KBName:  IMG_1061.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  60.0 KB

Previous cars:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast