Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by javier302 View Post
    I have a 174 on my 86 now, I love it, I like holley carbs, I had a 650 before the blower and went with a 750 afterwards, I run 7 psi and runs fine...
    look into a btm box (boost timing master) too much boost and too much timing don't get along unless you running race fuel.
    Why are there so many different BTM's listed? Are they application specific? Why is this one so much cheaper than all of the others? Will this one work with my car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-B...Q5fAccessories
    85 Mustang GT

Thank you so much for posting those FloridaGrabber!
    85 Mustang GT

No problem, good luck with the build.
    JP
    79 Capri RS 2.3t / 4spd (project)
    79 Pace Car 2.3T / 4spd (driving project)
    79 Pace Car 5.0/auto ( project)
    84 GT White 5spd T-Top (project)
    86 Tan/Tan 3.8/auto (daughter's project)
    87 LX vert Red 2.3/auto
    07 4.0 Grabber Orange 5spd (Modified Mustangs Nov.07 Cover)

I just did some research, and it doesn't look like that BTM is going to work with my ignition. I guess that one is for an MSD.
    85 Mustang GT

there are a couple different ones, some need to be hooked to an msd some will work with stock ignitions
    I believe I have a 6btm (6al + btm) #6462

5462 is the universal one, can be hooked to stock ignition but you'll have no rev limiter...
    8762 wires to msd's ignitions (6-6al, etc)

also If i remember correctly either the 7 or 7digital have a btm built in bdut those get pricey

Quote Originally Posted by Fabiodriven View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the pics man! I was wondering earlier if I was gonna have to ditch my engine fan. Looks like I'll have to run electrics, eh?
    I had a flex fan on it.

I was kind of looking into the same thing.

http://www.holley.com/data/types/pic...74SBF_ZOOM.jpg

I am sure that anybody looking into one of these has seen this but...

Hi all. I'm new on here so I hope this is in the right section.

So I've got an 85 GT. I've had it for about 7 or 8 years, almost sold it three times, but always chickened out once I started it up for "The last time". Its got an 89 (I think) motor but still has a carb, Weiand Stealth intake, Mac headers, B303(?), Pete Jackson noisy gear drive, Edelbrock 600, underdrive pulleys, 3.73's, UPR Products shifter, dual gauge a-pillar pod, aluminum driveshaft, 87-93 front brakes, 8.8, full 2.5 inch custom dual exhaust with Dynomax mufflers, bigger radiator, flex fan, is that it? Whew...

Anyhoo, I just ordered my Weiand 174 blower from Summit. I'm kinda guessing that my Edelbrock 600 is going to be a bit small for this application, but I don't really know. Can I just put bigger jets in the 600? Should I get a 750? I am very mechanically inclined, but I have never actually jetted an automotive carb, just small engines. I'm guessing it's not that difficult. I am also curious if there are going to be any surprises when I go to install this bad boy, or anything I may need that I don't already know about.

I also ordered a mini spool. How tough is it to install? Like I said, I can spin a wrench. This car was bone stock when I got it and I've done everything it has myself.

Also, if anybody has a good deal on a Tremec, I'm looking to pick one up. Thanks!
    I had a B&M 144 blower on a stock 86 short block with 88 heads and a B303 cam.It made 8# boost with a 10 rib setup,andd used a 750 dp carb and at the track used an 830 carb. It made good power went 11.41 @ 121mph on an et street tire.They work well.Meier racing make a hood for these its a cowl with the 82 gt scoop on it,thats what I have on mine,it was still tight but clears the air cleaner.I will see if I can dig up some pics.
    1986 GT
    9.61@139.89 n/a on DOTs street trim

Well, time for a little update. I haven't started spinning wrenches just yet, but some parts are here and others are in the mail. The blower is here. Yesterday I ordered sub frame connectors, torque box reinforcements, and trailing arms. Today I ordered a quadrant, fuel pump, and full MSD ignition (BTM, coil, wires, cap and rotor). Supposedly I'll be picking up a brand new TKO 600 this week, but I'll believe it when I see it. Should be spinning some wrenches soon. Here are some before pics. I've had the car for 8 or 9 years. It was bone stock when I got it. It's been sitting for about four years now. She looks pretty sad right now, but not for long.

Last edited by Fabiodriven; 11-16-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    85 Mustang GT

Question- I cannot see for the life of me where I could tap into this thing for a boost gauge. Anybody know?
    85 Mustang GT

Question- I cannot see for the life of me where I could tap into this thing for a boost gauge. Anybody know?
    There are plenty of places, drill and tap the intake with 1/8"NPT tap...........Little advice for ya'........read up on booost referencing the power valve chamber, those type of blowers create a vaccum under the carb and can cause the power valve to shut when it should be open.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_18.html

I actually run an Edelbrock. I didn't think Edelbrocks had powervalves, do they?
    85 Mustang GT

Question

I actually run an Edelbrock. I didn't think Edelbrocks had powervalves, do they?

I know nothing about Elelbrock carbs, I'm sure their fuel metering is different than holleys.................

This build will be picking back up soon. I can't get the car in my garage right now due to construction of a new home for the old girl. I was shooting for the end of March to have the car back on the road, but now I'm guessing more like April.

85 Mustang GT

This build will be picking back up soon. I can't get the car in my garage right now due to construction of a new home for the old girl. I was shooting for the end of March to have the car back on the road, but now I'm guessing more like April.

Thats a wet dream right there bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No powervalve on the Edelbrock carb. I wish they made those blower manifolds for the 351w, I'd love to have one too. I wonder how one of those small blower setups would respond to some E85 gas, hmmm.
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

A friend of mine had one of these small B&M blowers on a 351W in his 69 coupe. It was on the car when he got it and the engine builder had made some adapter plates to make it work on a 351. It was kind of a funky setup but I figured Pat Musi (who built the motor originally) knew more about this kind of stuff than we did. The car now has I believe an 871 on it instead with dual carbs, wasn't fast enough with the small blower. But he put that same blower on a stock early 80's non-roller 302 in his 72 bronco. He runs a blower specific 750 holley on it, and the thing runs great and has plenty of power even on an otherwise stock engine. But he no longer has room for a mechanical fan or an electric puller so it's impossible to drive it in traffic without overheating even with a massive aluminum radiator and a good sized pusher fan.

Well, I dragged the old girl out today and cleaned her all up. There were about 6 mouse nests throughout the car, 3 or 4 of which were in the heating ducts. I was originally going to install all the parts I have all in one shot and just git 'er done, but now I'm debating on just putting the car on the road and doing them one at a time. The tranny's gotta be installed first thing, that much I know.
    85 Mustang GT

Got the quadrant and adjuster installed.

Tip of the day- Do not buy a BBK quadrant.
    85 Mustang GT

Changed the air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap (MSD rotor didn't fit ), and wires yesterday. Got a fresh tank of gas and got the car on the road today and the carb quickly filled up with crud. I cleaned it once and it filled with crud again. Fuel filter needs some addressing, but at least she's on the road!
    85 Mustang GT

Cleaned the carb today and got her running right. Changed the fuel filter.
    85 Mustang GT

Well the car has been cleaned up and driven for about two months now and I'm ready to install the blower. I have run into a bit of an obstacle though. Apparently I need and alternator bracket and manual belt adjuster from an 83-85 3.8. These parts have proven to be quite elusive and if anybody can help me out please let me know.
    85 Mustang GT

Hey...I ran across your thread and was wondering if you completed your blower install.
    85 GT, 331 Stroker, Forged crank/pistons, AFR185's, 1.6 rollers, CompCams blower cam (35-312-8 ), Performer RPM Intake, Summit Racing 600, MAC 1 3/4" Ceramic Shorties, Stainless 2 1/2" X-pipe, MAC Cat-back w/ 3" tail pipes, Poly bushings front 2 back, 10.5" clutch upgrade, WC T-5, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Tri-ax handle, Granitelli LCA's, BBK Specific Rates, 8.8 w/ 3.73's & Ground Pounder Girdle kit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4j41_xXQM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPrj...eature=related

I actually haven't completed it yet. I've still got all of my parts. I got the car on the road in the spring after four years of sitting. At the time I had a garage being built and a lot of other things going so the blower install got pushed off to the side. I have been thinking a lot about it lately and hopefully I will attack it soon. I'll keep you updated.
    85 Mustang GT

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast