Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My '79

black and tan is always great. Capri Ghia! don't see those every day!

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

UPDATE:
    so I decided that since I'm going to bring the car down to Vic next week I wanted to make sure I was going to get there in one piece. New rotors, wheel bearings, seals, brake pads, and calipers. I have been putting this off for quite awhile and now I have an excuse to do it properly. The rear brakes are pretty much 85% or better. the drums aren't even ridged or scored or anything. I didn't even have to replace any springs. Just adjusted and threw the wheels back on. Oh, I also changed some tires over, took the old BFG traction T/A's off the turbines, used the fronts, trashed the rears and bought a couple BFG Radial T/A's (like the old school ones).

rear tires - BFG Radial T/A's 215/60r15

Vid of car running
    1979 Mercury Capri Ghia 5.0, T5 swap
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

looking good man, making me want to go out and work on my 79 so I can drive it around the block!

So a little update for those who are watching this thread. I recently got an 8.8 from a mustang buddy with some 3.08 posi gears, it was freshly built when he bought it from another mustang buddy. here's the thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=96163
    Vid of car running
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

Here's a good pic of how the car sits with the new rear end work

Vid of car running

{Project Info}

You bringing it over to Van?
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    You bringing it over to Van?
    bring it to Van for what? Probably not anyway, I don't get over there much anymore, usually we are just blasting through on our way north. Don't stop for anything but red lights and traffic
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}

So now I have the BBK equal shorties and offroad H-pipe instaled, I had to replace the motor mounts, as the passenger side was knocking against the cross member. so today I changed them. then I had to go buy a new air cleaner so I could close the hood without doing any modifications to either the hood or the accessories around the carb. here's some pics of the engine as it sits now, next upgrade is full MSD ignition.

Vid of car running

{Project Info}

*UPDATE*

so since the last update there has been some changes. i put the car on the dyno during the race weekend last summer and it didn't do too bad. 180hp and 240ft.lbs. BUT a couple days after something went in the tranny and it puked all its fluid out on the street. so i started to collect pieces for a T5 swap. I finally got enough time to have the car moved to my Dad's shop across town so I can start the swap. i'll post up some pics of it being moved and pics of the parts i've collected so far. i'll put up a list of the parts i've got and hopefully someone is able to tell me what I'm missing.

T5 with bell housing
    bell housing with plate
    balanced drive shaft
    flywheel with clutch
    new flywheel
    pedals
    new clutch cable with firewall adjuster and billet quadrant
    short shifter with boot
    clutch fork
    RPM intake

that's all i can remember right now, i didn't write anything down. If i remember anything I'll add it to the list. *If anyone knows what I'm missing please post or email me.

The move

The hood isn't rusty, its just droppings from the cedar shrubs beside the driveway. the car sat in the driveway for a few months without moving at all. Hope this post isn't too big :P

so ya, if anyone can let me know what i'm missing so i can get it ordered soon so i can it finished and get her back on the street so I can bang some gears
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Looks very good.

Do I see black and caramel?

We all know that CARAMEL ROCKS!

Seriously, it's a sweet ride.

BTW, I like that trailer (with the wooden floor), too.

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    Looks very good.

Do I see black and caramel?

We all know that CARAMEL ROCKS!

Seriously, it's a sweet ride.

BTW, I like that trailer (with the wooden floor), too.
    yes. yes you do. and yes yes it does

ps. the trailer was borrowed from a friend of my Dad's who bought it with his new Tractor
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}

You're welcome ---- and in all seriousness, black and caramel are a GREAT combo!

Keep up the good work!
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy

DAY 1 - March 29, 2011

Hood's off, driver's seat is out. center console has been moved off to one side, shifter and shifter plate removed. Steering column has been 99% removed.

the steering column was the hard part today. i've been following a write up by Stinger-Performance Engineering. they recommend removing the steering column all together so its easier to get at the pedals. i got it to the point where i've removed the single bolt holding the upper part of the steering shaft with the u-joint in it to the steering column. the portion of the shaft that gets removed when that bolt is out seems to be stuck. so thats where i'm at now. Hopefully tomorrow i'll get that removed and i can start on the motor tranny removal.

Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Day 2 - March 30, 2011

Steering column is out. Engine has been stripped down for removal. rad is out, tranny cooler is out. hedders are out. driveshaft is out. ready to bolt some chains on tomorrow and yank everything out. then i'm gonna install the new clutch quadrant and pedals tomorrow and start to strip the engine down

i also found something interesting when the rad and tranny cooler were removed. I found stuffed inside the front bumper an ancient metal magnetic key holder. inside was a spare key to the hatch. I would never have found it. here are some pics

Vid of car running

{Project Info}

about that key.. lol thats one old piece of history
    Brandon

If you ain't first your last!

Quote Originally Posted by BM62391 View Post
    about that key.. lol thats one old piece of history
    it sure it. i even tried it in the hatch and it actually works. the key itself isn't rusty it just needs a wipedown and its good to go. i might re-hide it somewhere else on the car when i'm done
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Day 3 - March 31, 2011

Motor and C4 trans came out today. *spilled alot of fluids on the floor, cleaned it up using some wicked old school floor dry ****. *started to strip down the motor. *pedals hopefully soon. *gotta start ordering the parts i need still

Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Day 4 - April 5, 2011

Nothing really got done. I tried to install the new billet clutch quadrant on the pedals, and came to a brick wall. i wasn't sure if the parts i ordered many months ago from A.M were the right ones, so I stopped working and went home to research the bits a little more, and try to find some installation instructions.

I got it figured out I think so hopefully I can get it installed today (April 6)
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Day 5 - April 6, 2011

Today the C4 pedals came out, I got the billet quadrant installed on the T5 pedals, the motor was stripped down to almost bare block. I have to take the pan off and its ready for a clean and probably paint

I picked up the release and pilot bearings today for the T5 and clutch as well as a full gasket kit. so i'm ready to put the motor back together when i get my cam and heads ready

so a few issues came up with the T5 pedals and firewall adjuster. first thing, there are a couple contact switches on the pedals that concern me. one looks like a brake sensor and the other seems to be a non-start switch on the clutch pedal. the "brake sensor" doesn't touch the brake pedal and doesn't look like it can be adjusted, the clutch switch make full contact when the pedal is in the "engaged" position. do I need these or can I remove them? Here's some pics of today's progress

brake sensor switch

clutch sensor switch

billet quadrant installed

"you got no brakes dude!, the pedal goes to the floor!!"

C4 pedals out

Motor stripped down, it doesn't look too bad, the cylinders have a bit of a lip at the top but they look good, the pistons look a little black, but i'm sure i can clean them up a bit

Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Day 6 - April 14, 2011

Haven't worked on the car in a few days, helped a buddy change the clutch in his S-10.. what a nightmare!

Anyway, yesterday I worked on the car a little bit, started to get the RPM intake cleaned up and ready to install. I also borrowed a Die Grinder from a buddy and enlarged the hole for the fire wall adjuster.... finally :P I'm hoping today the pedals will be in and going to start porting the intake and heads. here's some pics of the fire wall adjuster

Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Chicago, Illinois. home to the world's largest collection of potholes

lookin good!
    hello, my name is Epi and i'm addicted to four-eyes
    '86 Mustang GT convertible - restomod
    '86 Capri - DD hotrod
    '08 Ford Edge - Weekend hauler
    past:
    '86 Mustang GT hatch - sold for diapers
    '87 LTD - gone after 12 long years
    '90 Mustang LX - cancer
    '86 Thunderbird 3.8L
    '87 Mustang GT

Day 7 - April 26, 2011

Today I installed the pedal assembly. first fitting was good, except for the part where one of the posts the quadrant is attached to was binding up against the brace for the dashboard. so I had to remove the pedals again and trim some off the one post and re-drill for the pin. next step is the steering column and try to track down a shifter and cam. the shifter i bought from American Muscle came out of the box broken and damaged. So i contacted them and sent them pictures of the damage. they sent me another one and a UPS label to return the damaged one. The replacement was even more damaged and some pieces were probably missing cause the bag was ripped open and everything was flying around the box and the box was also ripped on all 4 sides and the bottom. So i sent them more pics and they have agreed to give me a refund. So now I have to find a shifter. Anyone know where I can get a good shifter that isn't coming from the East Coast?

Pics of the trim job i did on the pedals. nothing spectacular just enough to clear the brace underneath. I cut off the post just below the original cotter pin hole and drilled a new hole

Before: you can see the original hole and the additional washer on top as a spacer

After: cut off pretty much flush with the top of that additional washer

Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Day 8...or 9... or whatever - May 28, 2011

So I've been dragging my ass on this. Trying to figure out what to do about the cam and such. I've decided to put the cam off until later, I want to get this thing back on the road for the summer. I worked on the E7TE heads today, cleaning them up and getting them ready for port and polish. I think I'm gonna order an RV cam for the motor and call it done for now. I can always get something much better later on when I decide to switch to better heads and maybe throw the Bottle on it too..... I also removed the oil pan to get it ready for repairs. I haven't been able to meet up with a guy who's got a pan he's willing to sell me, so I'm gonna affect some repairs to mine for now in hopes that it doesn't leak anymore

No pictures of this, I didn't have my camera with me, but if you think of some E7TE heads with the rockers removed and gaskets scraped off, thats what it'll look like. The bottom end of the motor looks good, no visible damage so far, i have to roll it upside down fully to have a better look.

Will update when I get some more work done
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Feels like stepping back into an 80's time machine. LOL great find!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast