Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

my uncle had a 86 944 turbo, that was one quick car

As a pro german car tech, I will point out that Porsches, like all other german cars, make excellent storage units, and kitten triage/birth facilities... I've even seen several excellent floral arraingments growing out of them, before they rust away.

I will add this- if the german car in question is currently running, it also has the added benefit of controlling road dust, due to the leaking oil.

Sorry for the negativity, but I've seen too many good people suffering from the bad decision of german car ownership. Any remnants of the "Ultimate, indestructable german road machine" myth have died, going back about 10 years. And, this myth was murdered by inept engineering twits, following the "all technology is great technology" mantra.

If you buy it though, good luck, and find a good tech that knows the car!
    Pro BMW tech- I'd rather fix the mustang, though..

Quote Originally Posted by gt88 View Post
    As a pro german car tech, I will point out that Porsches, like all other german cars, make excellent storage units, and kitten triage/birth facilities... I've even seen several excellent floral arraingments growing out of them, before they rust away.

I will add this- if the german car in question is currently running, it also has the added benefit of controlling road dust, due to the leaking oil.

Sorry for the negativity, but I've seen too many good people suffering from the bad decision of german car ownership. Any remnants of the "Ultimate, indestructable german road machine" myth have died, going back about 10 years. And, this myth was murdered by inept engineering twits, following the "all technology is great technology" mantra.

If you buy it though, good luck, and find a good tech that knows the car!
    I will second the above. I have a friend who owned a 928 S (or was tortured by one) and it is the most frustrating car I have ever worked on. The complexity for no apparent reason other than for the design engineer to materbate. German engineers must just either HATE mechanics, or love to see how many specialized tools can be used for the most routine of maintainance.

The other german car I despise is my wife's Volks Passat wagon. It has the Audi v6 and a manual transmission. The amount of time I have spent putting band aids on and soaking up blood is countless. Imagine placing the most routine maintance items in the almost impossible to get to locations- example the O2 sensor nearest to motor is unreachable by hand or conventional tool. I had to grind down wrenches and break out the welder and modify wrenches to get to it. Simply moving the location on the other side of the pipe would have made it a 10 minute job. Engineering arrogance- they believe the part will never fail as they designed it. The PCV system has 12 parts to it!!!!!

German Car= NEVER AGAIN

(that came off a little bitter didn't it?)

Bill
    82 Mustang GT -original owner. RDI/Ford Racing "Boss" aluminum block 347, DC&O Stack Injection System, Holley EFI, Tremec TKOII, 9" rear w/ detroit locker, full Griggs coilover suspension, Brembo brakes, Baer/AKT LOGIC 17x9 Wheels, etc. .......

Ah, I feel your pain, Bill.... it would seem the Nazis have achieved revenge, wouldn't it?
    Pro BMW tech- I'd rather fix the mustang, though..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12