Close

Thread: New Brake Fluid

Default New Brake Fluid

Today my wife went to get a quote to have the brakes repaired on her car. 30,000 miles on the odometer.The guy told here that she needed to replace her brake pads, rotors and all the brake fluid. The pads still have approximately 3/16ths left on them. I have never heard of a brake system flush and replacement of all the fluid. Is there such a thing or was he trying to take advantage of her. He also wanted to replace the power steering fluid. What do you think?

brake fluid don't last for ever. when it gos .it cause the piston to size and seals to fail. we has strips at work, where we can test you brake fluid and power steering fluid.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

It's not a bad idea to flush the brake system. I have been told that over time it will collect moisture. I plan on doing it to my Mach with 54K on it. Just haven't had time. I also am going to do it to my other cars before winter. As for the power steering, yea it won't hurt to do it. That's all stuff you should be able to do. Google search brake system flush recommendation. You'll find a few good articles very quickly.
    2004 Mach 1 The garge queen
    1988 F250 5.8L 5 spd 4x4 A true work horse!
    1980 F100 stepside Yard ordament
    1983 Capri L 5.8L FINALLY!!!
    ^Ready to play!!!!

Yes, the brake system should be flushed periodically. About once ever three years, or so, regardless of mileage.

I flush and change my brake, power steering, antifreeze and auto trans(+filter) fluid every 2 years. It's not that hard to do it yourself and those fluids are inexpensive.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

although he may not have suggested it if you had brought it in.............it's there job to upsell also remember that.
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

i work for VW, they recomend a brake fluid flush every 2 years regardless of mileage. in fact, they feel so strongly about it, they inlcuded it with ther free maintenece plan offered a few years back.
    brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture in the system. this works well at keeping your internal hydraulic componenst from rusting, until it has absorbed all it can. by replacing with fresh fluid, you retain this absorbic action in the system, and saves components from premature failure.
    as for the power steering fluid, it takes a ton of heat abuse from the pump and should also be replaced. we have had passats come in with noisy steering pumps on turns, flushed the fluid, and the noise goes away.
    these 2 fluids are probably the most overlooked servicable fluids in the vehicle.
    on an up note, they were not trying to take advantage by offering these services. as far as the power steering fluid, the machine we use at work is a simple set up, just evacuates the fluid from the reservior. and refills it, about 5 times. the fluid gets cycled through the system by the pump, so you could do this service yourself, with just a few quarts of fluid, and a turkey baster. use the baster to take the fluid out of the reservior, and fill it up with fresh fluid. let the car runs a few minutes, turning the wheel back and forth a few times. repeat this 4 or 5 times, and most of the fluid will be new. just a thought to save some cash.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Just like any fluid in a car, it needs replacement. I'm guilty of not ever replacing brake fluid on my drivers. Since I started road racing I did flush the fluid on all my street Mustangs. On my old 86 Saleen the brake fluid reminded me of Guiness beer when it came out. It was black and nasty. My SVO was not nearly as bad. I flush the race car's system at least once per season, and thats about 400 miles of driving.

The flush every few years makes sense, altho I don't get how water gets into a closed/sealed hydraulic system.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

what about blinker fluid?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post

The flush every few years makes sense, altho I don't get how water gets into a closed/sealed hydraulic system.
    know one way! every time some one open it and check the fluid level! there moister in the air!
    Last edited by rancheronut; 10-24-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: where waldo
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

Chicago, Illinois. home to the world's largest collection of potholes

Quote Originally Posted by varn82 View Post
    i work for VW, they recomend a brake fluid flush every 2 years regardless of mileage. in fact, they feel so strongly about it, they inlcuded it with ther free maintenece plan offered a few years back.
    brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture in the system. this works well at keeping your internal hydraulic componenst from rusting, until it has absorbed all it can. by replacing with fresh fluid, you retain this absorbic action in the system, and saves components from premature failure.
    as for the power steering fluid, it takes a ton of heat abuse from the pump and should also be replaced. we have had passats come in with noisy steering pumps on turns, flushed the fluid, and the noise goes away.
    these 2 fluids are probably the most overlooked servicable fluids in the vehicle.
    on an up note, they were not trying to take advantage by offering these services. as far as the power steering fluid, the machine we use at work is a simple set up, just evacuates the fluid from the reservior. and refills it, about 5 times. the fluid gets cycled through the system by the pump, so you could do this service yourself, with just a few quarts of fluid, and a turkey baster. use the baster to take the fluid out of the reservior, and fill it up with fresh fluid. let the car runs a few minutes, turning the wheel back and forth a few times. repeat this 4 or 5 times, and most of the fluid will be new. just a thought to save some cash.

+1 on all this. i also work for a shop and we usually reccomend these services to customers
    hello, my name is Epi and i'm addicted to four-eyes
    '86 Mustang GT convertible - restomod
    '86 Capri - DD hotrod
    '08 Ford Edge - Weekend hauler
    past:
    '86 Mustang GT hatch - sold for diapers
    '87 LTD - gone after 12 long years
    '90 Mustang LX - cancer
    '86 Thunderbird 3.8L
    '87 Mustang GT

Definitely a good idea.

The fluids with higher boiling points like DOT4 brake fluid, found in newer European cars, are required to be replaced every 30,000 miles at least, or two years.

When the fluid collects moisture it is much more prone to boiling inside the lines under hard braking and creating air/vapor bubbles which lowers braking efficiency.
    FOR SALE: 1984 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Edition with '86 Roller V8

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    altho I don't get how water gets into a closed/sealed hydraulic system.
    Also Don't forget about condensation on your cold brakes being heated up after a small amount of braking, also as for color, one of the reasons for fluid turning black is from the aluminum components in the braking system I.E. Master Cylinder, Calipers ETC, same thing that happens to your hands after handling aluminum
    No Longer a 4I Owner

I purchased an all original 86 GT convertible this summer with 59k miles. While going over the car from front to rear, I found the brake fluid to be about the color of maple syrup. It was probably original and 23 years old. So it was changed along with all the other fluids. It may be my imagination but the stock brakes now feel a little bit better (pads / shoes were good). Pedal seems to feel a bit firmer. None the less, I feel better knowing I've got new fluid in the stock brakes....

I also changed the power steering fluid and it is still noisy!
    1986 Mustang GT Convertible - 63k miles - my toy
    2007 Honda Ridgeline - my daily driver
    2002 Honda Odyssey - wife's daily driver

Former Toys:
    1966 Shelby GT 350 - sold in 1977 for grad school tuition - I cry everytime I think about it!
    1975 Trans Am 455 Super Duty
    1970 Firebird Formula 400

Quote Originally Posted by beaullieu View Post
    Alot of guys on here have had good luck putting Royal Purple Fluid In The Power Steering and nearly or completley eliminating the whine or noise
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Quote Originally Posted by theemustangman View Post
    Alot of guys on here have had good luck putting Royal Purple Fluid In The Power Steering and nearly or completley eliminating the whine or noise
    Which Royal Purple fluid? ATF, right?
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

Check the manufacturers reccomendation on the brake fluid flush. My father owns a repair shop nearby a MIDAS. They keep him pretty busy with work they have attempted that was above thier ability and need him to correct. Three or four times this year they have sold a fluid flush on a car ( mostly imports) that he needs to repair the ABS.
    1985 LTD
    1986 GT
    1989 LX Hatch Road race
    1991 LX Convt Street Killer
    2002 150 SuperCrew FX4
    2008 EDGE
    1969 WHEEL HORSE
    Stock Sucks
    F#*k the Factory
    I didn't build it for you

Thanks guys, this really helps.

They are legit services. You are more than welcome to come by my place on a weekend and I can take care of it for you. I can do your brakes too, if you haven't had them done already.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

I've owned a 1991 Firebird since 1998... I hardly ever drive it since it's a nice weather only car. A few years back the brake warning light on the dash came on and wouldn't go off. I pulled the proportioning valve and it was full of mud. The brake fluid looked like coffee left on the burner for 12 hours, complete with grounds. The master cylinder reservoir had about 1/4" of mud in the bottom. I replaced the master cylinder, and proportioning valve, and flushed the fluid and it stops great again.

My Mustang had a layer of sludge in the bottom of the master cylinder too. When I get a chance I want to flush the fluid in the two Camaros that we never drive. It's cheaper to replace fluid regularly then to replace blocked brake lines, or gummed up prop valves.
    Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 05-08-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Quote Originally Posted by beaullieu View Post
    I purchased an all original 86 GT convertible this summer with 59k miles. While going over the car from front to rear, I found the brake fluid to be about the color of maple syrup. It was probably original and 23 years old. So it was changed along with all the other fluids. It may be my imagination but the stock brakes now feel a little bit better (pads / shoes were good). Pedal seems to feel a bit firmer. None the less, I feel better knowing I've got new fluid in the stock brakes....

It is no surprise you felt a difference. Brake fluid compresses only so much when you apply the brakes, and water compresses even more...combine the two and you can imagine why your brakes feel better after the flush.

DO people still change their systems over to silicone these days?

86 50CPRI

If you live in hilly country and have never had your fluid flushed,you might get the surprise of your life when you go for the brakes and they aren't there any more. Brake fluid does absorb moisture..the rubber lines are somewhat porous . As brakes heat up and get heat soaked,the moisture will boil first,before the brake fluid. When this happens,you get steam in the lines which can compress,and it does. Ever heard of brake fade?

I recommend a flush every two years,regardless of milage.

You would be amazed at the colors that come out of bleeder valves in calipers and wheel cylinders....

Most folks just don't know that you should bleed your entire brake system every couple years or so.

If you want to do it the easy (and slow) way, just crack open the bleeders, and let it gravity bleed. Keep the master cylinder reservoir full, and it'll bleed itself.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper