Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I will be working for probably the next two weeks and then I'm done. I was having some chest tightness and pain and some immune system stuff going on and the doctor figured out that it's the chemicals at work. My wife has been laid off since May and is going to get called back in the next few weeks, but we are a bit behind the ball money-wise (she was actually the main income in the family) and now me losing my job puts us further behind. So right now the Capri is basically going to be driven now and then until I can find employment again. Then it will be a Boport cam, oil pan gasket, front seal, rear seal, transmission pan gasket, and trans. input seal!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Please keep me posted on what you find out /decide about the cam. I am new to the forum but have a 93LX that I'm looking for a cam for. I have a Ranger header that I'm putting on, along w/opening up the exhaust ports on the head and running 2 1/2" exhaust thru a decent muffler (magnaflow, etc). I also plan on a CAI, performace chip upgrade and MAYBE MSD unit. I too am looking for something low-end that is going to be 'better' yet still retain decent mpg's and streetability. I'm NOT looking for a canyon carving full-out road machine, but DO want something much better than stock w/o going to the Volvo DOHC turbo conversion.

my email is: scampbell662000@yahoo.com if/when you make a determination.
    Last edited by Barhopper; 11-10-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Welcome to the forum. I plan on getting a custom made cam from Bo. His customer support so far has been awesome and he claims he can get me some really nice gains in power. Being that I am now laid off, money is a little tight, but I still have a small amount saved for car stuff. As for your 93 LX, you've got an awesome starting point. You have a mass air setup so the computer system is very forgiving and cam swaps and porting are fine. Just so you know, when you put the Ranger header on, you will have to modify your EGR pipe if you plan to continue running the EGR.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Barhopper View Post
    Please keep me posted on what you find out /decide about the cam. I am new to the forum but have a 93LX that I'm looking for a cam for. I have a Ranger header that I'm putting on, along w/opening up the exhaust ports on the head and running 2 1/2" exhaust thru a decent muffler (magnaflow, etc). I also plan on a CAI, performace chip upgrade and MAYBE MSD unit. I too am looking for something low-end that is going to be 'better' yet still retain decent mpg's and streetability. I'm NOT looking for a canyon carving full-out road machine, but DO want something much better than stock w/o going to the Volvo DOHC turbo conversion.
    Welcome to the forum. I too, have a 93 LX. I will tell you, do not waste your money on a CAI. They look like crap, and are unnecessary. The stock air box is fine, the only benefit of the CAI for these cars is deleting the silencer, which you can do while keeping the stock air box. The silencer is basically a small tube inside a big tube with a resonating chamber. The small tube is like, 1 1/2" so it's pretty restrictive. I just replaced that part with a 3" exhaust pipe that I reduced on one end so it fit in the elbow to the throttle body. With this, you'll notice a small improvement in throttle response and it seems to breath a little bit better at higher rpm's.

I don't have any pics yet of it installed. I'm going to paint it so in the end it looks factory. But, here's a pic of what the silencer looks like inside. Check out the size difference.
    click the thumbnail

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I plan on getting a custom made cam from Bo. His customer support so far has been awesome and he claims he can get me some really nice gains in power. Being that I am now laid off, money is a little tight, but I still have a small amount saved for car stuff. As for your 93 LX, you've got an awesome starting point. You have a mass air setup so the computer system is very forgiving and cam swaps and porting are fine. Just so you know, when you put the Ranger header on, you will have to modify your EGR pipe if you plan to continue running the EGR.
    x2 to this. I've heard it's best to get the EGR pipe with the header and just join the factory one and the ranger one.

As for keeping the EGR, I'm on the fence of do I make a block off plate or not.
    Last edited by 1982 niGhTmare; 11-10-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

86 50CPRI

Bob,I just noticed reef blue and my vert have the same combo 2.3Auto Mass air dual plug.. I have removed my silencer,and tried about everything I could think of to wake this engine up,but nothing doing.Mine runs out of steam at about 65-70 mph,no tach at the moment,but its got 3.73's and 225 /60's on 10 holes. Overdrive kicks in,but probably not lockup. Any progress you get,let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Bob,I just noticed reef blue and my vert have the same combo 2.3Auto Mass air dual plug.. I have removed my silencer,and tried about everything I could think of to wake this engine up,but nothing doing.Mine runs out of steam at about 65-70 mph,no tach at the moment,but its got 3.73's and 225 /60's on 10 holes. Overdrive kicks in,but probably not lockup. Any progress you get,let me know.
    Mine has 3.73's too, and currently has 245/50's on the Pony's (it's what came on two of the rims, a 55 series would be better looking). Before my tranny woes, it would easily get some good smoke from the right rear in a brake stand, and I've guesstimated that I've gone around 90mph on the parkway (speedo goes up to 85) and could have gone faster, but cars were coming up so I slowed down. So there's probably an issue with your vert if you have trouble going past 65-70.

Now, thanks to the tranny I can't even do a burnout nor can I go faster than 75-80 since it just slips too much. Once I do the 5 spd swap, I'm very anxious to see what it'll do with a tranny that doesn't suck up power like it's candy. I would have to assume you're using the A4LD as well. Also keep in mind, first gear in the A4LD is pretty much equal to second in the t5, so there is something to be gained. Factory shift point, from first-second at least, is 4600 rpm WOT, trust me, even though the cam may peak at 4600, it needs more rpm. Shifting later makes a big difference.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

86 50CPRI

Yeah .. A4LD. Swapped the complete drivetrain from a 92 coupe,got everything from radiator to tail pipes and EVERYTHING in between(fuel lines,exhaust,driveline,trans xmember with extra mounts-4cyl only,trans lines,engine harness,pcm,all accessories,belt) for $400. About the ONLY thing I have not changed/exchanged would be the PCM/ECU. I may have damaged it while hooking up the wiring originally,when assembling a few years ago. Milage has never lived up to expectations either, 18 max,with mixed driving.)

I have a 4 cyl T5 also..could do the swap...also have enough parts to build a turbo 2.3,which is probably the direction this car will go(w/T5)

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Yeah .. A4LD. Swapped the complete drivetrain from a 92 coupe,got everything from radiator to tail pipes and EVERYTHING in between(fuel lines,exhaust,driveline,trans xmember with extra mounts-4cyl only,trans lines,engine harness,pcm,all accessories,belt) for $400. About the ONLY thing I have not changed/exchanged would be the PCM/ECU. I may have damaged it while hooking up the wiring originally,when assembling a few years ago. Milage has never lived up to expectations either, 18 max,with mixed driving.)

I have a 4 cyl T5 also..could do the swap...also have enough parts to build a turbo 2.3,which is probably the direction this car will go(w/T5)
    I would be led to believe the PCM is different, if what you are saying is that you're using the original one to the vert. As for mileage, I've gotten 22-26 mixed driving, but pure city is 14-16. I'm wondering if you have a tune/timing issue.

I too, plan on the 2.3T route, eventually. Dad has one that he built for around 300-350hp, but the Turbocoupe (someone else's car) it was going to go into got t-boned and slid into a pole. Then he was going to put it in his 86 LX 2.3, but that car had it's nose shifted over thanks to a lady in a Cadillac running a red. Both cars it was gonna go into got smashed. I'm afraid of continuing this with my 93 Either way he sold the turbo stuff, so I'd have to buy that stuff.

But, this thread has me thinking otherwise for a while. If Bo can make a real nice custom roller grind that gives respectable n/a power, I may try out a cam swap. So I'm pretty anxious to hear what happens when ethan is able to buy the cam.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

86 50CPRI

PCM was from the other car,not the vert..I too have been hesitant to do anything....was originally going to do a 5.0AOD..now just don't know

The 91-93 "dual plug" cars tend to have ignition issues due to the weird 8 spark plug setup. Often the root of power loss problems can be traced, at least in part, back to the ignition. Some easy, quick things to do: Check that all 8 plugs are firing and are the correct plugs. Replace the plug wires if they are of cheap quality or are more than 10 years old. Unscrew the EDIS module from the intake, clean the intake's screw holes and the screws that attach the module to the intake and apply plenty of heat sink grease to the back of the module before reattaching it to the intake. Remove all connections in the ignition system and clean them and coat them with dielectric grease. Remove the crank pulley and check to make sure no debris has accumulated on the crank trigger.
    Those are just a few quick things that can be done in a day to make sure your system is in top operating condition.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

86 50CPRI

Thanks for the tips,I have replaced the ignition module,as I found the original one was not firing one bank,dont remember which side,then one of the coil circuits would shut down,essentially shutting down two cylinder(sounded like a John Deere).Replaced a couple of the plug wires.Never laid eyes on the crank sensor,figured if it worked the car runs,if not no run. I have wondered if the ignition module is controlling timing properly,though.

Thanks y'all ! As for the EGR - from what I've been finding out, I think I'm just going to delet it entirely. As for the cam - I'm not saying price ISN'T an issue ...but good customer service (in MY book) goes a loooooong way in making up for other things ! So if what you've found is leaning you towards a bo-port cam then I'll trust your research. Think I'll probably go w/the 1.5

What do y'all think of running the MSD for the dual-plug 2.3s...???? Has anyone done this ? What did you think ? Was it worth it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Barhopper View Post
    Thanks y'all ! As for the EGR - from what I've been finding out, I think I'm just going to delet it entirely. As for the cam - I'm not saying price ISN'T an issue ...but good customer service (in MY book) goes a loooooong way in making up for other things ! So if what you've found is leaning you towards a bo-port cam then I'll trust your research. Think I'll probably go w/the 1.5

What do y'all think of running the MSD for the dual-plug 2.3s...???? Has anyone done this ? What did you think ? Was it worth it ?
    Keep us posted on the results if you delete the EGR. I'm curious as to the results. And I totally agree on the customer service, it's why if I go with a cam for my engine, or for a 2.3T, I'm gonna probably go with Bo.

As for ignition upgrades, for our coil pack cars, I don't think there's really much to gain for the price IMO. If you were building a 2.3 car to get some ball-dropping performance, it'll probably be worth it. For a stock or mildly upgraded 2.3, the stock ignition is probably good enough for what it is.

And if you happen to buy the cam, even if it's the 1.5 while we plan on the 1.1, I'm very anxious to here results. I'm assuming that from your posts it's staying n/a, so would you be getting the 1.5 as it is, or get a custom grind by Bo for n/a engines?
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

FEP Senior Member loutheplumber's Avatar

anyone thought of using a stainless flexible gas connector for a egr tube i know the threads on the intake are just pipe threads
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo
    1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe now lives as power plant in 1990 Jeep Wrangler
    2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    1959 Ford 871 Select-o-Speed
    "You Can Tell The Men From The Boys By The Price of Their Toys"

hey guys, does anyone know the size of the throttle bodies on the 2.3 ? I can't find much info, but for some reason am thinking they're 56mm. I was thinking about changing to a 65mm w/spacer.......

thoughts ??????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123