Close

Default Console Ebrake Handle Seal?

I have my console out and apart for a cleaning. One thing that was in the back of the car when I bought it was the console ebrake handle seal. It looks to be in ok shape but how does the seal attach to the coin tray thing?
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

If they're not broken off like all of mine -- there's little pins molded on the coin tray that the seal pops onto. If they're broken, then you either have to glue the seal on and hope it stays, or find one that's not broken.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

All are broken but one. Thanks for the info. I will see if I can figure something out. I am surprised there is nothing to sandwich it between.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

That's what I figured. I also remembered when I put the ash tray lid in my 93, I used silicone to glue the seal in place since it was flopping around.

Sounds like glue may be the way to go.

At least you can get one from FMR as a last resort

http://www.foxresto.com/products/byCategory/121/E_Brake
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Go buy some GOOP.

Then use a bead of it (apply with a toothpick if needed) and put the seal back on the coin tray.

Goop is GREAT stuff. It is good at bonding dissimilar materials together like plastic/leather/rubber, etc.

-Mike

If your tabs (the round thingies) aren't broken too badly, you can always drill the tab centers with a small drill bit and screw in small screws to keep it in place. A couple of washers and you're set.

I had that on mine for nearly a decade before the rubber finally gave way.

I used a solder gun with a sharp tip and melted it about every 2". Better than tabs and held mine forever.

Also did not the coin tray seal but lots of repairs with a soldering gun for a lot of console and coin train repairs.

Thanks for the input guys, I got mine on today. I hope it stays on for a while.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by mustang86er View Post
    Also did not the coin tray seal but lots of repairs with a soldering gun for a lot of console and coin train repairs.
    What did you say????
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    What did you say????
    You can repair plastic with a soldering gun. Use it to weld the plastic together.

Dad used a soldering gun to fix the chin spoiler on his 70 Mustang. It was cracked in a corner and, well, he welded it back together with the soldering gun.

Works a hell of a lot better than the first few times of trying to epoxy it together.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Rather than start a new thread, I'll dredge up this one.

While I had my change tray out of the console to work on amp wiring, the seal fell off. I had glued it together a few years ago with black RTV and it held pretty well until now. But the RTV easily peeled away from everything. So, I decided to use some Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant.

Name:  CONSOL_COVER_1.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  146.2 KB

It seems to be a filled rubber cement. It's holding things together pretty well at the moment. Time will tell.

Name:  CONSOL_COVER_2.JPG
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  CONSOL_COVER_3.JPG
Size:  117.9 KB
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Wow this is a blast from the past. My seal is still sealed LOL after all these years.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179