Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default FMR AIR DAM pics and my opinion

I recieved my new air dam today from FMR. First off I would like to thank FMR for even making stuff like this. Im sure it isnt the most cost effective type of piece to make and sell with the limited interest, unlike billet accesories for the 05 up crowd. However you do make great parts, offer rare nos pieces, and great services for the four eyed crowd. THANK YOU.

On to the air dam. Overall im gonna say its a great piece, the urethane is well prepped, looks 100% correct right down to the slight bow in the large opening. I test fit the air dam in a nose and it fit great. I also test fit it up against a set of nos extensions (also bought from FMR) and the fitup was also flawless. It looks like theres a little more meat on the inside top edge of the small openings ho help fight warpage- it wasnt on my real 82 air dam but maybe added to the tooling when the capris got the air dam. Nice touch anyhow.

My one complaint. I was half expecting it, but the airdam did not have the mounting strip installed on the air dam unlike an actual nos unit that does have it installed. Now youve got to try and find a nice one. Also the holes are not punched in the dam so youll have to lay them out yourself and drill them.

Overall im glad I bought the air dam. Its a unique piece that is gonna be just as hard to come by as the original. Buy them now! Hopefully 79-84 moldings are next on the list!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Banned

more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice looking piece.

Is the top lip above the side openings a little taller too?

That's the area that seems to pull out from under the bumper molding.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Nice looking piece.

Is the top lip above the side openings a little taller too?

That's the area that seems to pull out from under the bumper molding.
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    How much was it again?
    list was $259 I believe, FEP discount was $229

If anyone wants any close ups of a certain area let me know and Ill post them

Ain't that a Xenon bumper cover?

thanks for comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    Ain't that a Xenon bumper cover?
    Xenon cover is different ... look their side holes
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

$230 is s steal. A near perfect reproduction piece like that should be a $350-$400 piece. FMR outdid themselves with this.

-Mike

I agree, it's a nice looking piece and a great price.

Makes waiting for my original to deform a little less stressful

Nice lookin piece! UPS man should be here with mine on Monday, cant wait!

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Makes waiting for my original to deform a little less stressful
    Better order one now then, they not gonna be makin em for ever. Only being produced in very limited supply.

86 50CPRI

I must have misundertood...I thought this was a NOS piece,not a repro..not that I mind either way.

The big brown truck finally came today! I got my air dam! And I'm +1 on everything Twistedstang said, except that I happen to have a really nice mounting strip waiting for the occasion. It'll go on some time this winter when I take care of all body work.

Big thanks to FMR for putting out super high quality parts and for having the NOS stuff we perfectionists look for!

Default Who Is FMR

Who is FMR? How do I reach them? Will the air dam fit an 84 Capri?

Quote Originally Posted by VA5LCapri View Post
    look at the top of the page. They are a sponsor of the site
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Quote Originally Posted by VA5LCapri View Post

www.foxresto.com

1-866-496-7320

so if I were to purchase the front air dam I would also need to purchase the extensions if i were going to put it on my 84Gt that has an 86 nose cone on it? I did not see the extensions listed on FMRs website.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

86 50CPRI

I've never seen this air dam fitted to an 84-86 nose cone.Not saying it could not be done,just never seen it.This airdam is specifically for the Capri RS from 84-86 as well as the 79-82 Mustang "Pace Car,Cobra,and GT. This,I believe,is the list of cars it was installed on from the factory.

The only way this air dam will mount up properly is to use the matching upper nose/grille from one of the models that originally used this air dam.

86 50CPRI

I know of a certain person here who has the zenon air dam affixed to a standard Capri nose. There was trimming, epoxying, and some magic involved,but it looks great. That being said, if there is a will there is a way.I always wondered this about the '85/86 nose cone.If you trimmed off the lower half,would this air dam work. But after seeing the Zenon piece on the 85/86 from the other thread,it might look alright,if you could mount it.

You could get the Maier air dam. It's like the Xenon air dam 'cept it looks like the real thing.

MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

86 50CPRI

looks to have a little splitter on the leading edge,too.

Yea on the site they say they added a 1" lip for extra down force. Since I have to fix a section of my bumper anyway I was thinking of doing something like that as well. I like the extra lip.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

Chris Wood

The Maier piece is fiberglass, not urethane.

I once cut the lower section of a standard 82 front cover and used the 82gt air dam, it worked fine. since then i found the regular 82gt upper and replaced it. But you would be better off buying an aftermarket designed for your year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast