Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was looking around at NADA and this is funny!!!!

LOL!!!!

This is how reliable NADA is for car information.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

Banned

LOL!!!!

I have a story, a Illinois local Ford dealer's general manager and I both Mustang fans. In late 1984 talked to me about a police interceptor prototype with a 351 windsor that he saw in action at Ford test track in Detroit area. We wanted to order one under the assumption of a municipality police car. Then cancel muni order and the dealer would be stuck with it and I would purchase it. Well Ford cancelled that SSP car run and crushed them supposedly. So maybe there could be some actually out there?
    Have
    1982 Mustang GT 2nd owner
    1999 Dodge Viper GTS Canadian model 2nd owner

Had
    1966 GT 350
    1967 GT 500
    1980 Fairmont Futura Turbo 2nd ownerhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/3818362

Would the hand full of special Mark VII with 351's qualify as a Fox?
    Or were they a post factory package?
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

All years of Mark VII (1984-92) were built on the Fox platform but they did not have 351W from the factory. Almost all Mark VII came from the factory with a 5.0L. A few thousand came with a I6 turbo diesel in 1984.

Is it the Mark VII "GTC" you're thinking of?
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 06-01-2014 at 06:06 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    There was no Ess Option Package for 1980 Capris.
    There sure as hell should have been!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Originallyposted by FoxChassis Is it the Mark VII "GTC" you're thinking of
    ?
    Yes that's the model I was thinking and drooling for.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

The GTC was done by Cars & Concepts and Roush. The 351W engine was optional so not all had it.

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/php...hp?f=24&t=4881
    http://web.atmc.net/~snonnenman/
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by mean green lx View Post
    cobra r had a 351w
    The 93 Cobra R had a 302... the 95 R had and was the only 351W modern mustang
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

[QUOTE=mean green lx;889526]i work at o'reillys i'll have to look at that tomorrow lol[/QUOT

Do NOT rely on ANY information in the data bases of O'reillys, Pep boys ,Autozone etc I have 1973 Cougar I have had for over 33 years. Original 351 Cleveland that has never been apart. Runs like the day it left the factory. I use a 10W -40W in it and its changed every 500-1000 miles. O'reillys (boneheads) told I was using the WRONG oil and there data base says it was to use 5W-30W in the engine ( 5w-30W was not even around in 1973) If I used the 5W-30W this could have caused more engine wear on a start up. The owners manual states 10W-30W or 10W-40W Always double check everything before before purchasing/or using. Many data bases are wrong.

Chris

1986 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 liter Bone Stock
    1986 ASC McLaren Vert #0082 Stock
    1973 Mercury Cougar Base Model Stock
    2014 Honda Ridgeline RTL
    2012 Ford Fusion (Scrap metal)

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

[QUOTE=86capri50;1651874]
    Quote Originally Posted by mean green lx View Post
    i work at o'reillys i'll have to look at that tomorrow lol[/QUOT

Do NOT rely on ANY information in the data bases of O'reillys, Pep boys ,Autozone etc I have 1973 Cougar I have had for over 33 years. Original 351 Cleveland that has never been apart. Runs like the day it left the factory. I use a 10W -40W in it and its changed every 500-1000 miles. O'reillys (boneheads) told I was using the WRONG oil and there data base says it was to use 5W-30W in the engine ( 5w-30W was not even around in 1973) If I used the 5W-30W this could have caused more engine wear on a start up. The owners manual states 10W-30W or 10W-40W Always double check everything before before purchasing/or using. Many data bases are wrong.

Chris

1986 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 liter Bone Stock
    1986 ASC McLaren Vert #0082 Stock
    1973 Mercury Cougar Base Model Stock
    2014 Honda Ridgeline RTL
    2012 Ford Fusion (Scrap metal)
    Chris,
    I had the same thing happen at an 'oil-change' place. They are all like "You need to put 5w 20 in your car...you NEED IT" I'm like sister(girl employee!) if you don't put at least 10W 30 in my 5.0 right now--you give me the keys!@"

Incredibly, there was an old-timer working there, who owned an '84 Turbo ragtop new, and was like "yes--yes he's right Marie-listen to him!"

There's probably some push to get old cars off the road by blowing them up with 5W 20
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 06-02-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added text

If anyone can find a Red 1981 Capri RS with a 351W VIN and AOD trans code, then there is one.

There are factory 351's, but they are protoypes, and I can tell you who to contact if you want the red 1981 item below.

This is a factory 1981 351 W Capri, but it was done by Ak Miller, so its like Jack Roushes pre production 1988 351W turbo Aero Mustang, just a prototype.

It won't have a valid 351 VIN engine letter or a valid 1981 AOD trans code...there were no AOD and 351 Fox body Capris, although Car and Driver did a 4.2 AOD conversion with factory parts.

You can put an AOD in a Fox, and many Fox Thunderbirds and Cougar XR7s came with them from the factoryin 1980-1982.

There were no 351W Foxes until the 30% Fox based SN 95. Which wasn't, insn't, nor ever will be Fox, as Mic has stated. Just sharing a few pressings doesn't make an Aston Martin DB7 an XJS Jag, or a Mustang a Fairlane. The common so called Fox 4 frame was totally revamped, and internally after 1982, it was called the S chassis, and started to move away from the Fox origins.

The rest is semantics. Like"You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl".

A 351 Capri will always be a conversion based on the Federal VIN engine code that the base vehicle had, and in 1981, that would have been a D code 255, with trans code ALSO corresponding to the C4 auto Capri's ran that year.

The Ak Miller cars likely were totally covered by the CARB exemption for emissions, so may have been able to be sold privately. That has never been Ford practice. Normal Ford rules say prototypes are "burn notice" cars, and have to be excluded from normal warranty product liability issues because they may be missing critical compliance, so they wipe there hands of any warranty unless its a production variant with EO emmissions numbers and a valid engine VIN code and valid transmission code is in existance.That makes a 1981 351 W AOD twin carb turbo impossiable to fully certify in that manner, and technically unable to be sold.

FoxChassis has shown time and time again what is factory and what is not by just checking these.

That engine above is in Jay Storers 1984 112 page SA book

"Economy or Performance Propane Fuel Conversions for Automotive Engines: A Complete Guide to Using Propane as a Clean, Economical, High-Octane, Alternative Fuel"

SBN-13: 978-0931472121
    ISBN-10: 0931472121

is posted here in its splendor

It was in an 81 Red Ak Miller RS Capri with 351W conversion, and then twin CA 425 Impcos for 920 cfm, and two E series converters able to flow 650 horsepower, and two nice big turbos. The kit was a 1982, I think, gave 15 mpg US highway.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-Foxes-around
    Quote Originally Posted by hjhnracing View Post
    The Red 1981 Capri actually belongs to my buddy. It was Ak Miller's personal vehicle back it the early eighties. I had a chance to buy it for $7000 but passed on it and bought a brand new 1983 Capri L 5.0L which I still own today. The 81' Capri is a twin turbo 351w with an AOD running 12 PSI of boost on propane. I ran a similiar setup but with a 302 and single turbo. I am currently building a 347 with a turbo but switched back to gasoline just recently.

I havent seen it lately but I use to see a Fairmont at the local car shows that had a 460 in it. The guy made it look like it came from Ford that way. Factory air cleaner with "oil filter" on it and everything. Really cool looking car.

There were 351 powered test mules running around Detroit throughout the 80s, and it was not unusual to see FoMoCo engineers cruising Woodward in Foxes with big inch small blocks, experimental heads and intakes, etc. Somewhere in Detroit there's rumored to be a Fox coupe with a 6.2 liter Windsor topped with a set of rolled, raised port heads with x-numbers hidden in a garage. Part of a program to thoroughly modernize the small block in the late 80s that was ultimately scrapped in favor of the Modular. Not production obviously, but the story is that car made it out of the experimental garage alive and with its special engine intact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12