Close

Default TRX tires. I have 2 original. Any good all this time?

I have two outstanding orignal TRX Michelin tires. They have about half their tread life yet(about a little less than half a penny).

They do not look dry rotted

They are still firm and have no leaks

They have no strange discolorations

I can post pictures tomorrow once the rain stops but I assure you they look great. BUT!!! Is it even safe to be using them?

Does the tire's structural integrity break down over time like we know old things tend to do? If it's in the best interest of my safety and any passenger's safety I'll bite the bullet and buy a new set of four.
    1x 1984 Mustang GT 5.0 - 84 1/2 build w/ Foglights and rounded spoiler, Medium Canyon Red ext, CR Int, 5sp, 8.8 rear. Flooded by Katrina - Interior in progress. Engine dead.

1x 2007 Mustang GT - Black. Black Leather interior. Silver Le Mans stripes. Ducktail Spoiler. Daily driver.

I have 27 yr old original trx on my 82 and they are in fantastic shape. No dry rot or anything. I cruise on the to the tune of about 100 miles a year...other than that no way I would use the for normal use. That's why I have a set of turbines with new Kumho rubber.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Super Member

i would trust it just carry a spare in case the worst...
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

No. It's never safe to use 7 year old tires, let alone 27 year old tires.

I recently replaced a set of 12 year old tires which also showed no signs of dry rot or other problems. I see more and more recommendations to replace tires at time intervals. I do wonder if really old tires like the ones you have would be ok for a quick, short ride for ice cream, or whether a failure can occur at any time (not just under hot and/or high-speed conditions).
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Alrighty I think it's clear here. Thank you.
    1x 1984 Mustang GT 5.0 - 84 1/2 build w/ Foglights and rounded spoiler, Medium Canyon Red ext, CR Int, 5sp, 8.8 rear. Flooded by Katrina - Interior in progress. Engine dead.

1x 2007 Mustang GT - Black. Black Leather interior. Silver Le Mans stripes. Ducktail Spoiler. Daily driver.

google for explorer tire and see if tires have ever been a problem??? I know my rubber seals on my windows are no good after 27 years. Forget the spare carry 2 life insurance policies, one for your survivors and one for the person you kill. Rubber deteriorates over time, Fact! Your playing Russian Roulette>

My advice is to inspect them often. Tires/radials are extremely rugged. I see a lot of cars at shows on vintage tires and can't remember anyone lamenting a blow out. Maybe they're all dead, I dunno

-Mike

The problem with old radials is they leak air. Once a crack is large enough it will leak like a nail in the tire.

Take a long trip (e.g. 200 miles) and you can lose up to 10 psi in short order. Not fun.

can you send some pics to efc92@aol.com i am interested i them thanks

At a car show this weekend I was parked next to a guy with a very nice 82 Corvette. He proceeded to show me some damage on the lower rear quarter from a 'blown tire.' I then asked him the details. The car was a one-family car and had been a show-car only for some time. He had gotten it fairly recently. Driving down the highway he had a blowout. The tires were about 12 years old, with no wear or damage to speak of, just old. Wisely he junked the old tires and had new ones installed.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Ask yourself this question:

Is there anything on the car more important than the tires?

If your answer is yes, use the old tires.

If your answer is no, buy new ones.
    - 1965 Mustang Conv. A-Code 4 spd.
    - 1966 Mustang Conv. 4 spd
    - 1969 Mustang Mach 1 - M Code
    - 1986 Saleen Mustang #26 (Saugus Speedway Pacecar)
    - 2005 Mustang GT S197
    - 1957 Ford Thunderbird Dusk Rose

* Current

My answer to that is YES....the driver and his/her decisions on HOW they drive. Like I said...if you are simply cruising occasionally to a show or local cruise and the tires look pretty good - I would drive on them. I drive my 4I cars about 100 or so miles each year. You have just as much probabilty of crashing due to somebody elses negligence as you do having a 45mph blow-out on old rubber.

If I am going to do some serious miles or driving at higher speeds as part of a road rallye or something like that....on go the turbines & new kumhos.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    My answer to that is YES....the driver and his/her decisions on HOW they drive. Like I said...if you are simply cruising occasionally to a show or local cruise and the tires look pretty good - I would drive on them. I drive my 4I cars about 100 or so miles each year. You have just as much probabilty of crashing due to somebody elses negligence as you do having a 45mph blow-out on old rubber.

If I am going to do some serious miles or driving at higher speeds as part of a road rallye or something like that....on go the turbines & new kumhos.
    I agree more important is the driver.. of the other car you hit when you have a blow out..or kid.. One evidence of a blow out of an old tire should be enough. Fact, rubber ages, look at your 25 year old weather strip.. To much to risk for a small reward..

I took my 69 BOSS 302 out on the original Magnum wheels with BFG TA Radials that were bought in the mid 90's.

I had to really hammer it to merge into freeway traffic, and the car got away from me, it was like driving on oil. I was very lucky to escape without incident.

That was what I based my "most important" question on. Something like that happens, the car is GONE with you in it. Mario Andretti won't save it, and neither will you. I was simply lucky, nothing more, nothing less.

I've been driving like a maniac since 1982, and am an open track veteran at Willow Springs since the early 90's and have never felt so helpless behind the wheel.

Those tires went home, came off the car, and went in the scrap heap.

The only other thing close to tires in importance is the brakes.

Now, all of my tires are thrown out every five years, with much less than 10K on them. I could sell them on Craiglist, but my conscience doesn't allow that.

My $.02 for what it's worth.
    - 2005 Mustang GT S197

* Current

Quote Originally Posted by 69boss View Post
    I took my 69 BOSS 302 out on the original Magnum wheels with BFG TA Radials that were bought in the mid 90's.

I had to really hammer it to merge into freeway traffic, and the car got away from me, it was like driving on oil. I was very lucky to escape without incident.

That was what I based my "most important" question on. Something like that happens, the car is GONE with you in it. Mario Andretti won't save it, and neither will you. I was simply lucky, nothing more, nothing less.

I've been driving like a maniac since 1982, and am an open track veteran at Willow Springs since the early 90's and have never felt so helpless behind the wheel.

Those tires went home, came off the car, and went in the scrap heap.

The only other thing close to tires in importance is the brakes.

Now, all of my tires are thrown out every five years, with much less than 10K on them. I could sell them on Craiglist, but my conscience doesn't allow that.

My $.02 for what it's worth.
    I feel ya thank god someone with a brain! People just dont get the risk they are taking vs what the real reward is.. a couple of bucks

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    X2....There Is a world of difference Running trx (mine arer 25 years old) verses a modern radial tire on (10 holes, ponys, or turbines) They make a trx replacement tire at $250 + a tire ( Ive been told) but the tires still ride rough. Ford did make a 14 Inch aluminum rim combo that looks pretty good on the mustangs & capri. That Is my $.02

I get your point but you are making me out to be brainless or something....I said local, cruising. And I said ~100 miles a year. I hardly consider that dangerous driving that is putting me or others at risk.

I didn't say anything about fast speeds or having to hammer it to merge into traffic like 69boss said - I'm not interstate or highway driving on these tires. Like I said...I have spare wheels and new tires for the serious driving if I know I will be doing that. If it is just local to a cruise-in or show, I prefer to show the car with the original wheels and tires.

And yes I agree they don't grip well, and they ride rough and noisy....but again at lower speeds and ultra low miles per year I am confident in my decision making.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    My 89 has the front tires it came with I bought it in 2000, still on her.
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins89notch5.0 View Post
    My 89 has the front tires it came with I bought it in 2000, still on her.
    Make sure you are riding with a St. Christopher medallion.

Give the lady in this article a call and ask her what she knows about tires:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in698335.shtml
    - 2005 Mustang GT S197

* Current

I have a set of 4 tires and rims/2 tires are new and 2 have minimal wear. Rims have center caps. Rims are highly polished with no clear on them now.
    Edel Perf intake & 600cfm carb & 6037 heads, non-roll eng 9.3comp,alignhone/torqueplate bore/balanced,cm filefit rings,recon rods&caps,10under crank,Clevite bearings&KB pistons,CompCam:dur 224I/224E@.050 lift/110,Crane alum1:6 RR,new8.8-373s.Granatelli upp/low cont arms,KYB adj.shocks,4 point K-member brace,B springs&ft cont.Arms,struttower brace,1 5/8 headers,weld subframe connectors.,10.5 clutch&flywheel,T-5Z/PRO5.0 shift.Canton7qt pan,bal shaft-Spicer u-joints.welded boxes.alum rad.MSD6AL&dizzy,17" Rs.276RWHP