Close

Default Marti Report for 1979 Cobra I bought

After I place the order they asked me for a pic of my door tag for in house research.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

FEP Supporter

Thanks for posting. I see it didn't sell until the spring of 1980, ten months after being "released".
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

No mention of the Cobra Package Alternate. Not sure if that would be in the 'equipment' list. Don't know if I have seen a Marti report from a confirmed Alternate yet.

EDIT: I have seen Marti reports from two other Alternates. The "Green Exterior Accents" in the equipment list confirms it.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 01-02-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I am wondering if that is why they asked for a pic of my door tag.
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1998 GT convertible

Thats awesome thanks for posting!!

Interesting how they say 919 with these Paint/Trim codes when there was supposed to be 938 Cobra "Alternates" built. Also 17,584 Cobras built when I was told 17,579.

You are welcome Darran and Fidel. Thanks for looking!

I agree JT. It is all very confusing.
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1998 GT convertible

double post sorry
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1998 GT convertible

The stats on that report are all off from what I have seen on others.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Thanks for posting it! I too, have noticed a bunch of differences in the actual amount of Cobra's produced. David Bass' Marti Report came back with 16,000 something produced while mine is like JT's at 17,579. I know it's not a BIG deal but how are we to know which number is accurate? I mean, isn't Kevin Marti's info supposed to be "THE INFO" to get?

On a side note, I noticed that your Marti report doesn't have a radio listed. Do you know if yours had a factory radio in it either now or at one time? Also, yours states that it came equipped with the rocker panel molding. That's the first time I've seen that on a Cobra. I also noticed that yours has the "Interior Decor Group" listed as an option while mine is listed as the "Interior Accent Group". I wonder if there's a difference there and what these groups actually consist of.

Your Cobra was produced the same month as mine (6/6/79 for mine vs. 6/21/79 for yours) and they were both shipped to Massachusetts (North Adams, Mass for yours and Brockton Mass for mine). It's good to see that they're both still around!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Pete. Funny you should mention the radio. There is not a factory radio in the car. There is an old realistic radio shack radio in it. We are currently trying to decide if I should get a factory radio or not. The radio bezel is there. Very strange. Thoughts, Also very interesting about our cars being produced the same month and going to the same state. I wish the production numbers provided were more concrete. Anyway thanks Pete. _
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1998 GT convertible

FEP Supporter

If someone put a radio in your radio delete car, did they cut the back quarter plastics for speakers? My '82 came without a radio but of course by the time I got it, there were speakers in the back . Our Tangerine '79 was a radio delete also but had a dealer installed AM radio and mono center speaker. The joy of sound back in the day I guess

You said the bezel was there (turned to match the Cobra theme I assume), but it should have came with the delete plate for the radio plus the antenna plate I would think. Maybe there was a factory added radio and someone "upgraded" to the one in it?

Either way, great to see all of the idiosyncrasies to a car like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

yes the bezel matching the rest of the console trim. There are speakers in the hatch. So yes maybe there was a radio and then someone changed it later. The radio in it has a tape player in it. Very confusing! I like your 79 Tangerine! Very cool car!!!
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1998 GT convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    Thanks for posting it! I too, have noticed a bunch of differences in the actual amount of Cobra's produced. David Bass' Marti Report came back with 16,000 something produced while mine is like JT's at 17,579. I know it's not a BIG deal but how are we to know which number is accurate? I mean, isn't Kevin Marti's info supposed to be "THE INFO" to get?
    17,579 = Cobra Package
    16,641 = Cobra Package w/ Tu-Tone Paint Treatment

The discrepancy was explained by Kevin Marti a few years ago, when we started seeing the 17,xxx and 16,xxx numbers on different reports. See this thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?53858

On a side note, I noticed that your Marti report doesn't have a radio listed. Do you know if yours had a factory radio in it either now or at one time?
    According to the door tag on this car it did not come with any radio (no radio code).

I also noticed that yours has the "Interior Decor Group" listed as an option while mine is listed as the "Interior Accent Group". I wonder if there's a difference there and what these groups actually consist of.
    I couldn't find an "interior decor group" in the 1979 car facts book, the 07/04/79 price guide, or the 1979 showroom sales brochure. But "interior accent group" is there. I know interior decor group is for sure a 1st gen (1965-73) option, not sure about 2nd gen (1974-78). This is what the 1979 factory literature says is included in the interior accent group:

• vinyl or cloth & vinyl seating
    • low-back front bucket seats w/ inertia seatback release
    • passenger visor vanity mirror
    • color-keyed deluxe seat belts w/ tension eliminator
    • deluxe sound package
    • carpeted luggage compartment (2-door only)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Thanks for the reply Mick. I had completely forgotten about that thread and was surprised that I had even participated in it! What are your thoughts on the 17,584 number from foxylady's report above?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I am not sure why some say 17,584 and some say 17,579. This is not the first time I have seen 17,584. I think a call or email to Marti Auto is needed.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I am not sure why some say 17,584 and some say 17,579. This is not the first time I have seen 17,584. I think a call or email to Marti Auto is needed.
    I agree. Please keep us posted - Thanks
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371