Close

FEP Senior Member

Default 1981 Mercury Zephyr: refreshing

Back story:

I received this car when I was a sophomore in high school with 75,XXX on the clock. My dad bought this car form the original owners niece for a very small sum of money. So we are the second owners. This car got me through two years of high school, two of college and some there after. Its given little to no problems and never left me stranded. But has seen better days. Now that is almost 30 years old I'm gunna do my best to fix it up and make it presentable. Mainly for the random cruise or car show.

Since I'm not planning on restoring my Zephyr or really resto-modding it either I figured I'd go with the term "refreshing" instead. So now on to my plans and pictures.

Exterior:

I'm gunna give the roller paint job a try, if it doesn't turn out. I'll sand it off and take it some where to have it sprayed. Also I would like to two tone it. Maybe give it a little "ES" flair, but not go over board with it. Blacked out tail light panel, black between the wheels, not really sure of I wanna do the girll and head light bezels black or not. As for wheels, not 100% sure yet. I like the wheel covers but I've also got a set of 10 holes. Possibly some AR Ansen Sprints?

Interior:

New carpet, dash and "new" dash pad. I'm planning on keeping the red interior. I've got a factory AM/FM I'm gunna put in it with Infinity speakers all around. I'm gunna try and install a modified Mustang console as well. I also want to install some after market gauges, oil, water and volt. Cause an idiot light won't tell you everything.

Mechanical:

Stopping power!! New brakes all around, lines, calipers and master cylinder/booster. Eventually rebuild the 2.3 and maybe do some slight mods to get a little more umph out of it. New shocks/struts and any other odds and ends that will make it handle and ride better

All in all I want a decent driver, I don't want to spend tons of money on it cause I want to actually drive it. I'll be posting pictures and updates as I go along. Since its starting to cool off here in my part of Az I'm gunna get started on it. Now here are some pictures of it as it sits currently.

Current milage is: 91,963.1 original miles.

1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

FEP Senior Member

Its time for an update!!! Things finally slowed down for me to spend sometime working on it. I was able to get the rear of the car sanded, trunk and rear quarters. Plus I was able to remove some of the trim with out destroying it. My new Ryobi makes sanding so much easier than doing it by hand.

Pictures:

keep up the good work!!!
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

FEP Senior Member

I got ambitious this weekend. I removed the last of the trim and anything else that can get damaged while sanding. Then this morning I got the Ryobi out and went to town on it. I got the doors, the hood, one fender and some of the roof sanded. Here are a few pictures:

I came across some bondo on the passenger side door, should I sand it off or leave well enough alone?

86 50CPRI

if its straight and smooth,go easy.You're doing a roller job...eager to see how this turns out.

What's a "roller job"???

FEP Senior Member

A roller job is basic thinned Rustoleum paint applied to the car with a high density foam roller. If its done right it will come out pretty good.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=80212

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=80491

I haven't been feeling all that well this past weekend so no new updates but here are a couple newer pictures as of about a week ago. Every thing is stripped off and it currently rests under a car cover.

FEP Senior Member

Update!!!

I spent pretty much all weekend working on it. I was able to get some primer on it but just enough to cover the exposed metal. Also painted the tail light panel and wiper cowl black to give it an "ES" feel. As I want to start driving it now that the weather is starting to cool off I sealed up any trim holes with some silicone, put some trim back and stuck some "turbine" style hubcaps on it. I still need to do the tail lights and some brake work to make it road worthy again, it also needs a good tune up from it sitting the past 3 months.

Very nice. Good progress
    FOR SALE: 1984 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Edition with '86 Roller V8

86 50CPRI

I thought you'd have it painted by now

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    I thought you'd have it painted by now
    i was thinking the same thing but just another temp at paint job going to rust!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rancheronut View Post
    i was thinking the same thing but just another temp at paint job going to rust!
    Thanks for the encouragement. Paying bills and other expenses kinda take up any fun money. Once I get the chance (and cash) I'll be picking up the rest of the supplies I need to get it ready to paint, plus do any last of the body work (bondo, welding). But I would say I'm doing pretty good for a broke 20 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by fox81 View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. .
    we all have to do our part! i did mine ! if it help you get motivated, to get some kind of paint on your ride!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

Get it painted yet????

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.