Close

Default Does anyone have details on changing the drive gear in a T5

As some of you know I put a 4.10 gear in my mustang, and now I am trying to get my speedo to work correctly. As it turns out I need to change the drive gear in the tranny, and I am having trouble locating directions. I do have a Chiltons, but there is so much information it's confusing me rather than helping me.
    Has anyone changed the drive gear in a T-5, or found some instructions that would be helpful to someone that is not too technical?

't-5 for dummies'

Any help is appreciated.

--Steve

The T-5 service manual is available for viewing or download here:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...vice%20Manuals

Neither here nor there

Steve remind me at work tomorrow and I will have the repro boys make a nice book from the pdf for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The T-5 service manual is available for viewing or download here:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...vice%20Manuals
    FoxChassis - Thanks for the doc. Hopefully I can get jeff to look at this also. It seems pretty straight forward if the tranny is out, but is there a way to do this while it's still in the car?

Yes, you can do it while the trans is still in the car. It's just more difficult to remove and re-install the extension assembly.

you're better off to remove the transmission to do it. i wouldn't attempt this in the car, it'll be too messy. sometimes the 5th gear shift rod can be a pita to get it to seat in the tail case properly. here's a quick how to with it out of the car:

you will have to drain the fluid. then you will have to remove the shifter, drive out the pin in the shifter block/shaft, remove block, spring and detent ball. then you will have to remove the 8 bolts attaching the tail housing to the transmission main body case, and slide it back and off the tail shaft/shaft. watch to make sure you don't lose the plastic cap of the end of 5th. then you will have to pull the clip out from under the speedometer drive gear. the factory one was made differently then the one in my rebuild kit, and it broke, so order another one to be safe as they're cheap.

next, slide the gear off the shaft. slide on a black 6t ford driven gear, and put clip in place.

assembly is essentially the reverse of dis-assembly. clean up mating surfaces with brake cleaner and a use ultra black rtv. torque to specs in manual.

i hope this helps!

cale

Before you go through all the work, are you sure you need it? You probably already have the 6 tooth drive gear in your trans, unless you have replaced it with an '90 or newer T-5. You should just be able to replace the driven gear on the end of the cable, which is a 5 minute job. With a 4.10 gear, and the 6 tooth drive gear, you would need the 23 tooth driven gear, which is white. You can buy one here for $10.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-17271D-K
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Interesting ,,,,, - How would I figure out what drive gear is in there?

By the color. I have seen a chart some where that tells you what color each driven gear is. Then you just have to figure out which speedo gear you need to match up to the gear in the trans.

Maybe someone here knows the chart and can post it up.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

The 6T (black) drive gear was not stock in V8 T-5s. It was either 7T or 8T.

7T (yellow) = '83-late '89
    8T (green) = late '89-'95

I'm guessing I was mistaken about it being a 6 tooth then. Whichever one is yellow, probably a 7 tooth, is the one you want in there to work with the white 23 tooth driven gear.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

You don't want the 23T driven gear.

Change to a 6T drive gear and then use the right (Ford) driven gear.

the yellow is probably what you have, and it's only good for 373's. the black, as mentioned is what you want.

you may be able to pull the tailshaft off the t5 while it's in the car, but you'll likely never get it back on. It requires a finess with the ball, spring and shift lever and you won't have any eyes or room with the trans tunnel up top. Pull that t5.

make sure you check input shaft play when it all goes back together. Cheap insurance.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki47 View Post
    Interesting ,,,,, - How would I figure out what drive gear is in there?
    what year is the car? is it the original trans? i believe the 83-89 t5s used a 7t drive gear (yellow). 90-93 used the 8t (green, mine looked yellowish clear though). i had to use a 23t with 90t5 an 3.55 gears. the 23t gear is junk and got pretty torn up, i'm surprised that it still worked. it's not a ford gear, they only go to 21t.

check out these links:

ford speedometer gears

mustang t5 year-by-year info

cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    what year is the car? is it the original trans? i believe the 83-89 t5s used a 7t drive gear (yellow). 90-93 used the 8t (green, mine looked yellowish clear though). i had to use a 23t with 90t5 an 3.55 gears. the 23t gear is junk and got pretty torn up, i'm surprised that it still worked. it's not a ford gear, they only go to 21t.

check out these links:

ford speedometer gears

mustang t5 year-by-year info

cale
    The car is an 85 Auto/ Conversion. I think what I am going to do is put in the 20t tooth drive gear I just bought so i can drive it a little bit more more before the snow falls. I will revisit this in a month or two when I have some time to pull out the tranny.

I do want to says thanks to everyone for your input.

So the curiosity got to me, and I had to go see what color the gear is.

It does have a Yellow drive gear in there. So.... I need to change it to a 6tooth over the winter.

Wow, I stumbled onto this and now the answer has been revealed. FEP continues to amaze me with the wealth of knowledge!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki47 View Post
    So the curiosity got to me, and I had to go see what color the gear is.

It does have a Yellow drive gear in there. So.... I need to change it to a 6tooth over the winter.
    Or - if you need tires - you could put the 21 or 23 tooth in and get a different series tire. a whole series different will approx change ratio by one factory size. Example: a 225/50 series from a 225/60 series will make the effective ratio to a 3.27 from a 3.08.

Jason

1986 GT T-Top.
    In the middle of its resto...