Close

Unhappy Rear end woes 83RS Turbo

So I bought an 83RS T in California and drove it all the way to Ohio just to have the rear end take a dump during the last 100 miles. Does anybody have a 7.5 rear after an upgrade? or suggestions for replacing it w/ an 8.8? Just got the car and don't know the gear ratios etc. or what models would have the proper rear end for junkyard purchase for either the 7.5 or the 8.8. It is a 2.3 T w/ the 5 speed T5 trans. Prior owner put a T Bird TC turbo on it but it is now leaking some oil and water? Seals or turbo wearing out I don't know yet, one thing at a time. All help and information appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-13-2009 at 07:07 AM.

just about any year 7.5 or 8.8 will bolt right up. up to you which one you want to go with. if you plan on making a lot of power, then go with the 8.8. if you can find one, get a '87/88 tc rear as they were 8.8's, have either 3.55 (5 speeds) or 3.73(autos) gears and disc brakes. of course you'd have to change some other stuff for the brakes but it would be worth it in the end. what happened to your rear btw?
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

The 83 RS TURBOS had a 3.45 ratio with slapper bars
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

ANy year upto 98 Fox4 Mustangs as far as same length. I'm only refering to Mustangs here.

Not really sure yet. Drove the car all the way from San Francisco to Cincinnati through San Antonio and it started moaning outside of Indiannapolis. Kind of a rhythmic sound. When I got off of the interstate it was grinding. Lube level was fine when I left but I guess it could have been old and not protective enough for a 4000 mile drive through 3 deserts.

Chris Wood

Have you taken the diff cover off yet? It could just be a chewed up axle / axle bearing. Fairly easy and cheap to fix.

FEP Power Member

Put some friction modifier in first. Mine was making a noise and this fixed it. Yours may be something else but this is a cheep first step.
    Kendal

You still in Indy or did ya make it home? I'm in Louisville and I have a 7.5 used as just a roller in an old coupe if you need one to get home with.

Those 2.3t cars can make some power. I'd go ahead and find an 8.8, use the 31spline carrier assembly out of an Explorer and throw the small change at a set of aftermarket axles (Alloy USA, Moser, Strange, etc.). That's a cheap route that'll last for a good long while. And don't forget about the friction modifier like stated in above posts. The traction lock is only $50 to rebuild but I'd only want to do it once per diff.

I am in Illinois and have a 7.5 for free that worked great, and know a guy who would sell an 8.8 with a 3.08 and a trac lok for $50! I would jump on it myself but I just bought and installed one (paid $75 which isnt to bad either).
    1979 Mustang Cobra 2011 Coyote 5.0, 8.8 w/3.73, PA C4.
    2010 Taurus SHO Livernois tune, Eibach Pro-Kit, Magnaflow, Airaid.
    2007 Escape 3.0 V6