Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Any have experience with this specific clutch?

Perfection is the brand. From what I understand they are under the ZOOM brand, or the other way around.... But has anyone used the kits specifically from advance auto?

I was looking at getting this one, hope the link transfers good...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Clutch-Set-Perfection_5333385-P_244_R|GRP60006_565961558___

I would have asked in the 2.3T section, but this isn't for a car that fits the bill for that section. Just wondering how they hold up, and what power people are running if they're using this. Any likes/dislikes. Wondering if there's another clutch kit that others would recommend over this one for a similar price.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post

Why would you mill the input shaft, can't you just modify the pilot bushing?
    I would leave the input shaft alone. The thicker shaft gives you more strength. Taking apart the tranny to get input shaft takes time also.

On my Dodge Cummins setup, I had the flywheel bored for a larger bearing. The factory had a small needle bearing that wore out prematurely. When the bearing went, it tore up the input shaft.

The bearing I installed was a sealed ball bearing unit. It took less than a 1 hour machine shop time to modify the flywheel. In the long run, a much better fix!
    1979 Mustang Cobra - 5.0L HO, 5 speed
    1979 Indy Pace Car - 2.3L, 4 speed (parts car)

Past cars:
    1969 Mach 1
    1966 Mustang GT Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra56 View Post
    I would leave the input shaft alone. The thicker shaft gives you more strength. Taking apart the tranny to get input shaft takes time also.
    Yea, that's why I'm wondering why touch the input shaft. It's also cheaper to **** up a pilot bushing than an input shaft, and easier to replace.

So no one out there that has any experience at all with that clutch?

'nother question, I should be able to use the factory starter with the TC flywheel, right?
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

i think i will ask my friend to clarify why he milled the shaft when i get back into town
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeldevil View Post
    they had a pic i think its due to bolt location. the input shaft on the 5.0 t5 is larger and simply wont fit in a 2.3l so to use the tranny he had it milled down to match his 2.3l t5.
    i simply dont know if the pilot bearing could be modified to make it work. this was his solution and his reasons for it. that took to long to right errors blurry key board off to bed i dont want to sleep through my birthday
    you do realize he wants to put a tc t5 into a 4cyl mustang right?

cale

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post
    So no one out there that has any experience at all with that clutch?

'nother question, I should be able to use the factory starter with the TC flywheel, right?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Oh, and today I bought a clutch pedal assembly and double hump cross member for $50. The pedal assy has the clutch safety switch, but no brake switch, which I should be able to use from the original auto pedal assy. Don't think it had the clutch switch for the cruise control, or is that also controlled by the same switch? Oh, and he threw in a gas pedal too.

So I need a quadrant, cable, firewall adjuster, clutch kit, and.... driveshaft, which I need someone to CONFIRM whether or not a t5/AOD one from a 302 will work. And the inner shifter boot. The shifter boot bezel can come later. The TC boot and shift knob are of course both leather and both worn But it's what I've got, and can't argue with free.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

what is it particularly you a concerned with in regards to the driveshaft?

the clutch pedal assembly from my car came out of a 4 banger aero car. they are all the same.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

what is it particularly you a concerned with in regards to the driveshaft?

the clutch pedal assembly from my car came out of a 4 banger aero car. they are all the same.

cale
    I need to know whether or not if a driveshaft from a 5.0 Mustang either t5 or AOD will work in my 93. From that link, I'd assume all the output shafts are the same, so the yokes would be the same. I need to know if they would be the same length when comparing a 2.3/t5 driveshaft to a 5.0/t5/AOD driveshaft. And one from an 8.8 will bolt up to a 7.5?

I've heard people say that you can only use one from a 2.3 t5 for my swap, and others say you can use one from a 5.0 car. I just need to confirm that if I buy a driveshaft from a 5.0 car that I can use it in my swap before I take the car apart....
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

8.8 and 7.5 doesn't matter. i blew the 7.5 out of my car and put the 8.8 in it with no issues.

what i would make sure of is the a4ld tailshaft being the same spline count and diameter as the t5 one.

what i would do next is take a measurement of the bell/trans assembly and compare it to that of the a4ld. you should be able to make a conclusion from that. also measure to see if the trans mount locations are the same. that's about as much as i can contribute because i haven't done this for myself.

oh and i was messing around on rock auto's site and saw the 87-88 tc's used a slave cylinder. not sure if your bell will be set up for the cable, and if you might need a different clutch fork.

maybe try messaging mfpmax. i'm sure that dude knows a ton of stuff about this.

cale

Ok, one thing down then. That's good too since the future holds an 8.8 back there as well, just not now.

From what I've read, out of all the rest, the A4LD yokes are different, and the driveshaft length is different. However, the swap page on stinger-performance doesn't say anything about a different driveshaft being needed. I'm freaking confused as to WHAT I need and don't need.

Not sure on that, I know they used hydraulic clutches but that's about all I know. There's a clutch fork, dog bone cable, and bell crank still attached to the bell. Now I'm confused, would this be the same for a car with a hydraulic clutch AND one with a clutch cable ??
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    you do realize he wants to put a tc t5 into a 4cyl mustang right?

cale
    no i wasnt, i was under the impression that he wanted to use the t5 from a 302
    and as i said i will get in touch with the ford tech that did it. he is an old guy that has been working on fords for a very long time and knows his s@#$.
    i just got back from a 80+ hour work week and it is christmas soon. sorry but nightmare you will have to wait a little longer. i swear i will get the info after the holidays. oh and he had a spare tc t5 so i will see if he still has it if you want.
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

I have the tc t5 already as mentioned before hand....
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

ok its been 3 months since i read that had to re-read.
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

86 50CPRI

the splines/ slip yoke should be the same. The length is the big question. I know you've asked this about 50 times,and no one is answering...I don't think anyone is holding out on you; they just aren't sure.

I'm going out on a limb here, and theorizing that the shifter is in the same location(we even have heard of 4 cyl T5 in a V8 car) which would mean the tailshaft housing is in the same approximate location and configuration(mid-shift,forward shift,etc)... I would guess the V8 driveline would be what you need. These are the same between auto and manual,right?

I guess then I'll have to measure out the t5, and go under the car and measure the a4ld and see what's up. From what I read the yokes were supposed to be different? Could be just failure of knowledge on some people's parts. I just don't wanna find out when I'm actually trying to do the swap and can't find what I need.

Yea, the t5/aod driveshafts are allegedly the same, but with all this contradicting matter, who knows. That's why I'm hoping someone that knows for a fact reads this.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

I have a spare t5 driveshaft with no front yoke on it (twisted the yoke, drag radials, nitrous, long story) its yours for the taking. I am asuming that if the front slip yoke on you auto is a 28 spline, it should fit the t5, and if the length is all you care about, it should work fine. Just swap your front driveshaft yoke to the shaft. let me know. also, i have to look, but i think i have a console shifter plate (no boot) for an 89, should be the same, ill have to get back to you about that. again, if i find it, its yours. Also, not 100% sure if it is the same or not, but i have a clutch fork for a t-5, if its what you need, i can send that. shoot me a message.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

ford performance parts
    Tech Support (800) FORD788

they sell driveshafts they should be able to answer your questions
    though they are closed for the holidays
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Quote Originally Posted by varn82 View Post
    I have a spare t5 driveshaft with no front yoke on it (twisted the yoke, drag radials, nitrous, long story) its yours for the taking. I am asuming that if the front slip yoke on you auto is a 28 spline, it should fit the t5, and if the length is all you care about, it should work fine. Just swap your front driveshaft yoke to the shaft. let me know. also, i have to look, but i think i have a console shifter plate (no boot) for an 89, should be the same, ill have to get back to you about that. again, if i find it, its yours. Also, not 100% sure if it is the same or not, but i have a clutch fork for a t-5, if its what you need, i can send that. shoot me a message.
    Well, that's the thing. I have to find out if the yoke is different or not. If it's the same yoke, but I need the length drive shaft you have, then we can figure something out.

As long as it's from a 5spd car all 87-93 shifter bezels would be the same. I've got the leather boot from the TC, so no biggie there.

As for the clutch fork, I don't think it's the same as the 2.3 also has that dogbone cable and a bell crank, all of which I have anyway.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Default Pedals

Pedal assembly is removed (no pics yet --- too dark), and I was working on snaking the speedo cable through the proper hole it needs to be moved to. I had to try a couple times since the cable was caught on everything and didn't have enough slack to reach the speedo again. I will finish the speedo cable routing tomorrow, and get the clutch/brake pedal assembly in tomorrow (thankfully wasn't scheduled work ).
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

glad your making progress
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Thanks. It's actually two months ahead of schedule right now. The plan was to wait 'till I finish this semester so I have more time for it but I have doubts that this auto will last me two more weeks..... Not only are the seals leaking but I think the pump is going too... I've been driving the car a couple hundred miles a week and I should have replaced the tranny, oh about..... a year ago.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

1982 Mustang GT T-Top

86 50CPRI

was going to say it would be an opportune time to clean the spilled coke/coffee from the carpet....

good job on the pedals...how much time did it take,and did you do the cable yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    was going to say it would be an opportune time to clean the spilled coke/coffee from the carpet....

good job on the pedals...how much time did it take,and did you do the cable yet?
    I didn't clean it when I first put those seats in, or the last time I pulled the seat, or for this. One day I'll clean that thing.....

I want to say..... net time total was probably along the lines of 4-5 hours. Keep in mind though, I didn't go the fastest as to make sure I don't mess anything up and I've never done this before, and of course, it busted my balls every step of the way. Getting the new pedal assembly in took a bit of time to get everything lined up where it needs to, also counting the time it took fussing with the brake booster to get all four studs back through the firewall and the pedal assembly. I'd say I could probably do it the next time in 3.5 net hours.

I didn't do the clutch cable yet ---- since I've yet to buy one. I've been looking for a place to get a Ford OEM cable with no luck, and advanced auto had two cables listed. I just rechecked now and it seems they redid the site, and only one Motormite cable is listed.

There is a $40 off and free shipping thing ending today with them..... Might be ordering the Perfection clutch kit today... Along with the throwout bearing and anything else needed...

1982 Mustang GT T-Top

86 50CPRI

rockauto has an AC DELCO one for $27.00

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=351716

although I wonder who makes it? I was hoping to see a Motorcraft one listed,but it wasn't there

I wouldn't think a gennie Ford one would be hard to find...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast