Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question I have a few questions pertaining to a transmission swap.

The car of question is a 1993 LX 2.3 A4LD.

Assuming one would swap to a T5, these questions arrive.

1. Would swapping from the A4LD to a T5 require a different length driveshaft or are they the same? If different I would assume a 5.0 T5 driveshaft would be the same as a 2.3 T5 driveshaft.
    2. Transmission mount and/or crossmember. Any differences? I haven't looked into it but is the crossmember the same for a T5? What about the tranny mount, would I need one for a T5 specifically? So do I need nothing, a crossmember, a tranny mount, or a crossmember and tranny mount?
    3. I've also heard you can get away without the T5 hump, true?
    4. Anything else I should be aware of pertaining to this swap?
    5. Is any of the wiring needed already there? Like for the clutch safety switch? Or would that be the same connector/wiring for the neutral safety switch already there? Any thing else electrical that would be needed or of concern?

If I think of any other questions I'll add them later.

Thanks in advance.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

FEP Super Member

Just put a manual valve body C4 on it with the reverse shift pattern, and 4.88 gears. It will be just as quick as a T5 with 3.73 gears, and 10x more ridiculous!!

Sorry I don't have any good input, are you seriously considering making the switch on ye 'ol reef blue?
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

Quote Originally Posted by mattquerio View Post
    Just put a manual valve body C4 on it with the reverse shift pattern, and 4.88 gears. It will be just as quick as a T5 with 3.73 gears, and 10x more ridiculous!!
    Yea, sounds great. I may just try that out.

Sorry I don't have any good input, are you seriously considering making the switch on ye 'ol reef blue?
    Gathering info for now. Dad has a 2.3T / T5 in a friends garage and one of these days he's gonna pick up the tranny so we can see if it's any good after sitting for all these years. I know I'd have to buy a clutch, pedals, and so forth.

As for the A4LD, first gear whines often, and it doesn't shift for itself or go into 3rd or 4th until it warms up a little, which may mean I need new seals. So, why not spend the money on the swap rather than spend the money on another junky A4LD or a rebuild? Plus it would be nice to get used to DD'ing a 5spd this way it's not something new to learn when my 82 is road worthy. Plus the overall uncoolness surrounding an automatic.

There is a 93 LX 5.0 5spd to learn on before the swap either way, if I do the swap to begin with.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

FEP Super Member

It's probably not a bad idea to do the swap. I bet the tall first gear in a 4 banger T5 will make your car pretty fun to drive, it'd probably almost be like night/day off the line.
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1985 Mustang GT

It's probably not a bad idea to do the swap. I bet the tall first gear in a 4 banger T5 will make your car pretty fun to drive, it'd probably almost be like night/day off the line.
    night/day for sure.

First in the A4LD is just about equal to second in the T5.

I wouldn't say it's not "fun" as it is now though. Having been daily driving the car for several years now, if it was totally unbearable that 351 in the back yard would be under the hood right now.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post
    Having been daily driving the car for several years now, if it was totally unbearable that 351 in the back yard would be under the hood right now.
    I've got a flywheel for a 351 with about 2k miles on it, I'm gonna be selling it once I pull the 351 in the next month or so. If ya need it, holler at me, I'll cut you a deal.
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1985 Mustang GT

No one?

Hello?
    Hello?
    Hello?
    Hello?
    Hello?
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

you think that is bad?..... I got a C3 auto....
    going 65 is crazy......
    1985 Ford F-150blue/blue interior (dad's) (explorer)sold
    1985 Mustang Lx 2.3 (mine )
    1986 T-bird Silver/grey interior 3.8L (dad's) sold
    1991 Lincoln Continental Sig. Series 3.8L (mom's) sold
    04' Trailblazer LT with (minor performance upgrades) (dad's)
    --------up-comming rides-----------
    1991 Ford ranger xlt 4.0 V6 almost mint (little rust)
    New car for the mom ...

Quote Originally Posted by 85Mark2.3Lx View Post
    you think that is bad?..... I got a C3 auto....
    going 65 is crazy......
    What's the cruising rpm? 2500 is like, 68mph or so.

I've got a flywheel for a 351 with about 2k miles on it, I'm gonna be selling it once I pull the 351 in the next month or so. If ya need it, holler at me, I'll cut you a deal.
    Just because I know I'll forget like I do everything else, remind me when you pull it and I'll ask questions. Thanks.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

What's the cruising rpm? 2500 is like, 68mph or so.
    Idk, I get back to you tomarrow when Im out, I think I'm already above or close to 2500 at 60. 3 speed auto.
    1985 Ford F-150blue/blue interior (dad's) (explorer)sold
    1985 Mustang Lx 2.3 (mine )
    1986 T-bird Silver/grey interior 3.8L (dad's) sold
    1991 Lincoln Continental Sig. Series 3.8L (mom's) sold
    04' Trailblazer LT with (minor performance upgrades) (dad's)
    --------up-comming rides-----------
    1991 Ford ranger xlt 4.0 V6 almost mint (little rust)
    New car for the mom ...

1. Would swapping from the A4LD to a T5 require a different length driveshaft or are they the same? If different I would assume a 5.0 T5 driveshaft would be the same as a 2.3 T5 driveshaft.
    2. Transmission mount and/or crossmember. Any differences? I haven't looked into it but is the crossmember the same for a T5? What about the tranny mount, would I need one for a T5 specifically? So do I need nothing, a crossmember, a tranny mount, or a crossmember and tranny mount?
    5. Is any of the wiring needed already there? Like for the clutch safety switch? Or would that be the same connector/wiring for the neutral safety switch already there? Any thing else electrical that would be needed or of concern?

Thanks in advance.

No one? Nobody knows?

Bueller?
    Bueller?
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

I've done the swap on an aero 5.0 car but it was a long time ago. There is lots of info on the net which could be reverse engineered to your questions. I found most of the info I needed on Corral I believe and Stangnet when I did it with a friend on his car. Goodluck - it's not difficult but IS time consuming. I wish I could remember more to help - I do recall you have to move your speedo cable over a hole so the clutch cable can occupy that space.
    '83 Hatch - PBR Front/GT rear disc, Steeda Sport Springs, Tokico Blues, MM CC plates, 87+ sway bars

Quote Originally Posted by 8T3Hatch View Post
    I've done the swap on an aero 5.0 car but it was a long time ago. There is lots of info on the net which could be reverse engineered to your questions. I found most of the info I needed on Corral I believe and Stangnet when I did it with a friend on his car. Goodluck - it's not difficult but IS time consuming. I wish I could remember more to help - I do recall you have to move your speedo cable over a hole so the clutch cable can occupy that space.
    The 5.0 has the AOD, which dimensions that count may be different between that and the A4LD.

I figured if I obtain all the necessary parts, I could do things like swap the pedals and so forth one day and keep driving the car, then Dad said if we get everything and it's all ready to go, we can do the swap in one day.

Thanks for the tidbit on the speedo cable. Info like that does help, I eventually would figure that out but it's nice to know what needs to be done before hand.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

I'd recommend taking the driver seat out for the pedal/cable swap. Makes your life alot easier and cheaper than a trip to the chiropractor!

I wouldn't recommend the swap for "enjoyment" factor but if your tranny is going south anyways it seems like a more reliable, plentiful option to keep the car on the road. I would bet the d/s is a different length between an A4LD and a T5 if I were guessing just from having been under my cars several times over the years.

Include a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster in your budget. The plastic ones become brittle after years and you will be annoyed should you take the time to put it all together and have it break down the road. This is a must if you have it all apart.
    '83 Hatch - PBR Front/GT rear disc, Steeda Sport Springs, Tokico Blues, MM CC plates, 87+ sway bars

FEP Senior Member

okay,

dont know offhand but for consideration if you do need another driveshaft try for an aerostar one

from what i have in my books there shows a difference between the crossmembers for a t5 and a4ld but the main differences looks to be the actual mount for the trans and where the ends of the crossmember mounts to the body(the ends of the a4ld xmember are seperate peices themselves or something)
      the diagrams im looking at arent very detailed and i dont think ive seen an a4ld one in person. i know the vert ones are different.
      i dont think it would be hard or expensive to grab one for a t5

dunno about that one, someone else should though

do something about that horrible dogbone cable, read up on it.
      and, i believe the circlip thing that attaches the clutch cable to the lever is discontinued if what you find doesnt come with one. might not matter but figued it was worth mentioning. the four cyl cable has a green tag on it i think.

wiring up for the reverse lights would be the other thing to worry about, there was a thread either here or ftcf that had this question reguarding harnesses and plugs.
      pretty sure someone here can tell you what to do about the neutral switch.

Thanks in advance.
    the most time consuming thing i would say is getting the parts together, though ive been seeing alot of mashed 5 speed stangs on craigslist lately.
    Last edited by Ductape91; 09-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8T3Hatch View Post
    I'd recommend taking the driver seat out for the pedal/cable swap. Makes your life alot easier and cheaper than a trip to the chiropractor!

I wouldn't recommend the swap for "enjoyment" factor but if your tranny is going south anyways it seems like a more reliable, plentiful option to keep the car on the road. I would bet the d/s is a different length between an A4LD and a T5 if I were guessing just from having been under my cars several times over the years.

Include a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster in your budget. The plastic ones become brittle after years and you will be annoyed should you take the time to put it all together and have it break down the road. This is a must if you have it all apart.
    No problem taking the seat out, I've already swapped the seats for GT sport seats so I sure can take one seat back out.

If my tranny was still factory mint, I wouldn't really be considering the swap right now. I'm reasoning the swap as a benefit in several ways already mentioned. I would be led to believe, that a driveshaft from a 5.0 T5 car would be the same as a 2.3 T5 car, no?

I have thought about the quadrant having already heard about the plastic ones breaking over time. Right now I'm more in the info gathering stage, once I find out if the tranny Dad has is any good, then I get more serious about the swap.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by Ductape91 View Post
    okay,
    Thanks.

I have a double hump crossmember that I bought for the 82 that I could use, they're cheap enough.

And I'll look for info on that cable.

Thanks for the rest of the heads ups
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Don't count on a 2.3/T5 and 5.0/T5 being the same length D/S as the engine may not be sitting in the same exact location just because the K frames are the same; mounting might be slightly different - The aerostar suggestion above is a good one if you can confirm they are in fact the same length. I can't remember the 4 cyl stuff anymore unfortunately, sorry.

Neutral switch comment above should be handled by wiring the proper year(no neutral start til '89 I believe) pedals into your car. The switch is extremely simple, you'll just have to ensure you get the right pedal(provision for the switch).

Question It's all about the questions

It's been a couple of months -- and time to bump for a reason.

Today (or is that yesterday) Dad and I were able to go to his cousins house so we can pick up the tranny. I need to break it open tomorrow to take a look inside, it's been sitting a while. Also had the bell housing too.

Here's a question -- Are all 2.3 flywheels the same? More specifically, would a flywheel from an 88 Turbo Coupe be the same as a flywheel for my 93? I'd want to make sure that I don't go spending money and get the flywheel resurfaced if needed and find out I cannot use it.

Also grabbed two boxes of other stuff, I'll check to see what I have later. I still need to buy a new clutch, pedal assy, cable and possibly the dogbone cable, and a driveshaft. I *might* have some of this lined up -- but it's the usual game of waiting on people to get back to me.

The clutch safety switch harness is in the main harness, and has a plug with a loop in it so I can just take the plug out and plug it right into the clutch safety switch. I've read up on what needs to be done for the reverse lights.

Anything else anyone can add, or bring to attention so I can make sure all bases are covered? Also, anyone out there that can confirm whether or not 5.0 t5, 5.0 AOD, and 2.3 t5 driveshafts are the same? How about --- is it just the yoke that is different for the A4LD cars, but the length of the driveshaft is the same?
    Last edited by 1982 niGhTmare; 12-05-2009 at 01:44 AM.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

86 50CPRI

I believe the drivshaft is shorter for the A4LD. It has been a few years since I put mine together,but I know I had to use adapter brackets to relocate the crossmember mounts to the rear.You should be OK with the crossmember you have there.

Then I put a Ujoint into the wrong D/S, slid it into the trans and it was too long. I am considering this same swap,but I have all the parts already.They came to me at different times,so I cannot tell you about compatability yet.

I am thinking a manual trans ECU would be in order,as with the missing solenoids,the ECU will probably generate DTC's.

ok there is a page floating out there that tells how to do the swap. i will see if i can find it.
    you will need a 2.3l shaft a 5.0 wont work. the flywheels are different but you want the turbo coupe version. it is bigger. i believe it is a 9 inch. also the turbo tranny is a good choice more durable. my friend had a 5.0 t5 input shaft milled down to fit a 2.3. he had so much horse power he would run out of gear. i would suggest this for anyone with a nitrous injected turbo 2.3l
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Here Are The Parts Needed from site listed above:

Borg Warner T5 Transmission
    Bell Housing (Engine Specific, 5.0 or 2.3)
    Pivot Ball
    Starter Plate
    Clutch Fork
    Clutch Cable (And Dogbone Cable)
    Clutch Cable Clip (Holds Cable In Housing)
    Clutch Quadrant (Part Of Pedal Assembly)
    Clutch Disc
    Pressure Plate
    Flywheel
    Throwout Bearing
    Pilot Bearing
    Pedal Assembly (Engine Specific, 5.0 or 2.3)
    Shifter
    Shifter Bezel
    Shifter Knob
    Shifter Weather Seal
    Shifter Boot
    Drive Shaft (2.3 Only)
    Back Up Light Harness (Plugs into Tranny)
    Exhaust Hanger Bracket
    Manual Transmission Crossmember
    Bolts and Mounting Hardware (Pressure Plate, Bell Housing)

Here Are The Tools Needed:
    Complete Metric & Standard Socket Sets
    Complete Metric & Standard Wrench Sets
    Torque Wrench
    Jack
    Jack Stands
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    I believe the drivshaft is shorter for the A4LD. It has been a few years since I put mine together,but I know I had to use adapter brackets to relocate the crossmember mounts to the rear.You should be OK with the crossmember you have there.

Then I put a Ujoint into the wrong D/S, slid it into the trans and it was too long. I am considering this same swap,but I have all the parts already.They came to me at different times,so I cannot tell you about compatability yet.

I am thinking a manual trans ECU would be in order,as with the missing solenoids,the ECU will probably generate DTC's.
    I was hoping I could have just swapped yokes, especially if now I need only a 2.3 drive shaft, and only that. From what I understand -- the auto computer can be used with the manual, but not vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeldevil View Post
    ok there is a page floating out there that tells how to do the swap. i will see if i can find it.
    you will need a 2.3l shaft a 5.0 wont work. the flywheels are different but you want the turbo coupe version. it is bigger. i believe it is a 9 inch. also the turbo tranny is a good choice more durable. my friend had a 5.0 t5 input shaft milled down to fit a 2.3. he had so much horse power he would run out of gear. i would suggest this for anyone with a nitrous injected turbo 2.3l
    I've had that page bookmarked for months. Hmm, didn't know the flywheels for the Turbo cars were bigger. See, I've also read sources saying that the 5.0 drive shafts will work, but some that say no. So I'm wondering if any one out there has actually proven this right/wrong. Finding a 2.3 t5 drive shaft would be a little hard compared to any run of the mill 5.0 drive shaft.

Why would you mill the input shaft, can't you just modify the pilot bushing?

Lastly, how can the pedals be engine specific
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

they had a pic i think its due to bolt location. the input shaft on the 5.0 t5 is larger and simply wont fit in a 2.3l so to use the tranny he had it milled down to match his 2.3l t5.
    i simply dont know if the pilot bearing could be modified to make it work. this was his solution and his reasons for it. that took to long to right errors blurry key board off to bed i dont want to sleep through my birthday
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast