Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm currently going to be ordering the motormite cable through advance auto... Even though that $40 is actually a coupon that you get two weeks from now it's still free shipping. I'm also ordering the clutch kit that comes with the throwout bearing and pilot bearing, and also ordering the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts.

MM sells an OEM Ford one for a 5.0, but it's like $100 and that is more than I'm going to spend right now, also the fact that it's not the same for a 2.3.....
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

FEP Senior Member

i would tell you to just get one at ford (with the green tag)but for some reason i remember some big deal about the one i got many years ago, still trying to remember what exactly
    i think the clutch kit(complete with plate,disc,pilot and alginment tool) i got was a king cobra one from pepboyz for 79 bucks, it did take me some time to find it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductape91 View Post
    i would tell you to just get one at ford (with the green tag)but for some reason i remember some big deal about the one i got many years ago, still trying to remember what exactly
    i think the clutch kit(complete with plate,disc,pilot and alginment tool) i got was a king cobra one from pepboyz for 79 bucks, it did take me some time to find it though.
    Do you remember how much it was for that cable? I wonder if it's even still available anymore...

They make a King Cobra clutch for a 2.3? I am getting the 9.25 Perfection one for $125.... same company as Zoom, should be more than well enough for the car for now. I am like two clicks from buying this stuff, if I can get a Ford cable for $35 and not have to wait weeks for it, I'd get it.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post
    Do you remember how much it was for that cable? I wonder if it's even still available anymore...

They make a King Cobra clutch for a 2.3? I am getting the 9.25 Perfection one for $125.... same company as Zoom, should be more than well enough for the car for now. I am like two clicks from buying this stuff, if I can get a Ford cable for $35 and not have to wait weeks for it, I'd get it.
    this was a while back so i gotta stimulate some grey matter here. the original clutch i was going for was a valeo(spell?) one, which i was under the impression it was the oem one it had but couldnt find one cheap at all. didnt have any means to purchase things online like i do now way back then and got lucky with the one at pepboys. pretty sure it was a king cobra but it wasnt like what i think your thinking. just a replacment clutch no performance upgrade or anything. what had me siked was it was a complete kit for that price and not just a plate and disk. i may have posted it over at the corral back then ill check on that later on.
    the cable was definately not cheap even back then, that much i remember. what i remember was the guy behind the counter noticed the first one the other guy gave us was wrong by the color tag on it(the right one was green) which was good since it wasnt put on utill four+ years after it was purchased. thank god the quantrant was still good.
    the $150 figure is coming up for some reason so if you can get one for $35 bucks with whatever name on it get that.
    if you can call your local ford dealer and see, ill call the one around here over the weekend since my brother is going to need something from them im sure wont be in good shape at the junkyard :/
    Last edited by Ductape91; 02-22-2010 at 05:21 PM.

I wasn't sure what exactly you meant by a King Cobra clutch, I thought you were talking about putting a 5.0 clutch behind the 2.3! The kit I ordered is a complete one with the pilot and throwout bearings and alignment tool, figure for inflation at $124.99 it's probably a similar deal as what you got. Was it for a n/a 2.3 or 2.3T?

Damn, $150 for a cable. MM sells an OEM Ford one for a 5.0 for I think $100. I will take a chance with the Motormite one that I ordered the other day for $34.99. As long as it fits and gets the job done I'm happy.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Sweeeeet. After driving home 30 miles with no drive or overdrive I found out the UPS guy dropped my boxes off. He even put them at the side door so they aren't out front in view of the road. Cool service. Free shipping through Advanced Auto and it took four days from ordering to boxes at my steps, can't beat that!

1982 Mustang GT T-Top

sweet
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

1982 Mustang GT T-Top

FEP Senior Member

so i take it this means you finished the swap, that or your just playing with your shifter :P
    fun awaits you...

98% finished.

[Begin banter]The clutch fork was no good. The spring clip that holds the throwout bearing in place and prevents it from rattling, one side was nearly broken off. Try finding a fork for a 2.3 anywhere, good luck! Fortunately, early Mustang throwout bearings had the spring retaining clips on the bearing itself, and Dad had a spare Hays one for his car so we tested it out, and it fit the bearing retainer! Our local parts guy had one we could use laying in the back so we bought it, but it is thicker between the fork and the pressure plate, so the fork is in a different position. Since we didn't have both U clips for the bell crank, we made a few of our own. Due to the revised position of the fork, we had to make another clip for the clutch cable side that was longer, and it "worked". Car would go fine in forward gears but the clutch engaged so close to the floor that reverse would grind if you didn't have your left foot through the floor. We were able to adjust it to take a test ride with the car but it didn't stay as well. Tomorrow we are going to put the longer clip on the dogbone cable side, and the shorter one on the clutch cable side so hopefully we have the extra distance needed for the thicker throwout bearing, and the geometry of the bellcrank is correct so the clutch engages at the right spot. In the mean time, I will be looking for a replacement fork so I can use the correct throwout bearing. There were more "always my luck" situations throughout this swap, but those stories are for another day.[end banter]

Once I'm sure everything works fine, and everything is broken in, then it's time.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

FEP Senior Member

seriously, ditch the dogbone cable and use a bolt/washers and nut.
    a $30 part versus maybe a few bucks for the bolt/washers and nut.
    it did stretch the cable out some after 4 or 5 years of driving with it but we delt with it.

Right now the dogbone cable isn't causing any issues, so for now I am sticking with simplicity. I'd like to solve the issues I have now before messing anything else up

I was looking into replacing it with a bolt/nut, but was curious about it, it doesn't create any binding by not having any "play" in it? Is that what caused the cable to stretch if I'm reading this right? Oh and it would probably be free to do anyway since there's tons of loose bolts, washers, and even lock nuts in the garage.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

FEP Senior Member

your clutch fork issue i dont have any input on as i never had an issue with mine.
    this is one of those times i wish i had pics of these things, didnt have a digital camera back then. a pic of the setup wouldve been easier to understand than my words based on my lousy memory.
    yes, it did stretch out the cable from the bolt/nut thing we put on it. the pedal was rock solid and required some force to push it in, and stayed that way for years untill the car was totalled. think manual steering but for the pedal and the message im getting at here should make sense, i think.
    the quatrant never broke so i dont think it was too strong for it.
    when i went back to driving a buddies honda afterwards i actually dented the floor on the car a bit from pushing in the clutch, i pushed it so hard because of the feel the mustang had, lol.

you dont mean binding as the pedal hanging down stuck or something like that, right? it never had a issue like that.

The issue with the fork may have been solved. I made a new hole for the clutch cable on the bellcrank higher than the original one so the fork's initial position isn't changed but I get more throw out of it so it engages further off the floor and not when pedal is being pushed through the floor. Bought the correct mount for the double hump cross member I have since the auto one we modified was twisting too much since the weight was mounted cantilever on an extension welded to the crossmember. The rear seal on the t5 was leaking so that was bought and swapped out too. Car drives fine with the rears up in the air, so it's back on the ground and if nothing else is deemed to be leaking from the tranny then it's go time.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

great thread. lots of info. I am doing the T5 swap soon in my car and have already picked up a couple tips. keep the pics and tips coming!
    Vid of car running
    1979 Mercury Capri Ghia 5.0, T5 swap
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

86 50CPRI

whatever happened to Bob...did I miss something?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123