Close

Default 5.0 conversion coil ?s

I am in the process of putting a 302 and a T5 in my '85 Mustang coupe that originally had a 4 cylinder and an automatic.
    I am running a Duraspark with the GM HEI module, and bought a parts store coil. I have two questions about the coil:
    1. Instead of studs with nuts for the electrical connections, it has these funny looking studs with hats (?) and I have no idea how to make the connections from the ignition module to the coil. Any ideas? Does anyone even know what I am talking about?
    2. My Ford Racing ignition wire set came with two coil wires - a short one with a male and female end, and a long one with two female ends. I want to put to coil on the fender well, but the coil wire that I need to use is too short. Do I mount the coil on the intake? Can I get a longer correct coil wire somewhere? Can I swap the male end to the longer wire?

Is it feasible to use the 4 cylinder coil that was on the fender well when I bought the car? It would hook right up, but Ihave my doubts as to whether it would put out enough juice for the 302.

Thanks in advance for the help guys - I know there are a lot of questions here...
    '85 coupe - It's ALIVE!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu4w_5P284
    Originally a 4 cyl / auto car; now has an '87 Roller motor topped by a Weiand Action Plus and a Holley 600; backed by a rebuit T-5. Also has shorty headers, an off road X-pipe, and a MAC cat back exhaust.
    Still needs paint (Medium Canyon Red Metallic) and interior work (Sand Beige). Would like to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well...
    **SIGH** So much to do, so little time (and money!)

Here is a link to the coil I bought - you should be able to see the studs I attempted to describe in the first post...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_667406324___
    '85 coupe - It's ALIVE!!
    Originally a 4 cyl / auto car; now has an '87 Roller motor topped by a Weiand Action Plus and a Holley 600; backed by a rebuit T-5. Also has shorty headers, an off road X-pipe, and a MAC cat back exhaust.
    Still needs paint (Medium Canyon Red Metallic) and interior work (Sand Beige). Would like to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well...

This is a Duraspark coil ... requires you use the horse-shoe connector :
    http://info.rockauto.com/Airtex/1P1090.jpg
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Your 4 banger Duraspark II box, assuming it has the blue grommet, and coil is the same ones used on every other Duraspark II equipped car, no matter if it had a 4,6 or 8 cylinder engine
    Last edited by Ford'sCapri; 09-05-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

So I should return the parts store coil and just use the one that was in the car when I bought it?
    '85 coupe - It's ALIVE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Truxton View Post
    So I should return the parts store coil and just use the one that was in the car when I bought it?
    It depends on your plans for the car. I stuck with the stock Duraspark setup since the 302 in my Capri is pretty much stock except for a E3O3 cam. It works well and was free since the stuff was already on the car when I did my V8 swap.

If your future plans for your car include power levels above stock then a aftermarket coil may be required anyways. It's your call.

FYI here is a link for using the HEI sans the Duraspark box. Not a necessary thing to do but I thought you might find it interesting since you have the parts anyways.

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm
    -John-

Quote Originally Posted by Ford'sCapri View Post
    Your 4 banger Duraspark II box, assuming it has the blue grommet, and coil is the same ones used on every other Duraspark II equipped car, no matter if it had a 4,6 or 8 cylinder engine
    That is not necessarily true. From the Ford books, some of the Blue grommet boxes worked with all engines. Basically anything from a 6 or 8cyl works for all engines.

The books say that the 4cyl boxes are ONLY for 4cyl cars. It depends on what numbers are cast on the top of the box.

Now in normal practical use...maybe they work well enough so that no one has ever noticed. But Ford does make a distinction.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    That is not necessarily true. From the Ford books, some of the Blue grommet boxes worked with all engines. Basically anything from a 6 or 8cyl works for all engines.

The books say that the 4cyl boxes are ONLY for 4cyl cars. It depends on what numbers are cast on the top of the box.

Now in normal practical use...maybe they work well enough so that no one has ever noticed. But Ford does make a distinction.

-Mike
    I assumed since the parts stores list the boxes as the same part# no matter which engine is selected they all were the same box.....

Which numbers on the box are we talking about? I know the one on the far left is the year code, so is it the one in the middle or the one stamped on the right that tells the difference?

-John-

It depends on your plans for the car. I stuck with the stock Duraspark setup since the 302 in my Capri is pretty much stock except for a E3O3 cam. It works well and was free since the stuff was already on the car when I did my V8 swap.

If your future plans for your car include power levels above stock then a aftermarket coil may be required anyways. It's your call.

FYI here is a link for using the HEI sans the Duraspark box. Not a necessary thing to do but I thought you might find it interesting since you have the parts anyways.

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm
    The car has a stock '87 roller in it that I converted to a carb. Future plans may include a cam and maybe some Explorer heads, but that is WAAAY down the road at this point.
    That link is exactly what I have been following to use the HEI ignition. Seemed cheap and relatively easy...
    Thanks for all the help!
    '85 coupe - It's ALIVE!!

The Duraspark ign. with the Motorcraft box is good for 6000 RPM. I use the MSD "Black Blaster" coil designed for Duraspark systems with the horseshoe connecter. After 3yrs. I'm very pleased. You can buy the horseshoe connector at most parts stores. Leave the coil on the inner fender. That will keep is as cool as possible. All the best!
    '67 Shelby GT500 428 4spd. (owned for 32yrs. SOLD 11/26/2011. A sad day $$$$. Pics in my album!

'83 Capri 5.0 4spd. ASC McLaren Sport Pkg.(1983 Indy 500 Speed Week Motorcraft sponsored parade car) Original paint. Pics in my album! (SOLD 11/11/2017)

'79 Capri RS 5.0 52,000mi. Total molestation! (1300 man/hrs.) Build Pics in 3 albums!

I assumed since the parts stores list the boxes as the same part# no matter which engine is selected they all were the same box.....

Which numbers on the box are we talking about? I know the one on the far left is the year code, so is it the one in the middle or the one stamped on the right that tells the difference?

That D8VE12A199A2C is original for a 1985 5.0 carbed car. Good for all engines.

Replacements start with E8PF and ones ending in AA are for 4cyl applications. Ones ending in AB are for all engines. I do not have a breakdown for all the different years of duraspark boxes...just what they had as of 1993 when my Ford parts book was printed.

-Mike