Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1984 Capri RS Turbo questions

My dad bought it new in '84 and I've driven it since age 16. It's got 160,000 miles on it- all original and still runs great. It's been in storage since '99.
    Questions are these:
    After thinking the TRX wheels were standard on the RS Turbos, I've learned that they were only optional and the black turbine wheel covers which came on it were the standard choice on the Goodyear Eagle GTs. Is this the case?
    Was the quadra-shock suspension the ONLY suspension on the '84 RS Turbo? It's what mine has but I've read that it was a "late availabilty" option. There are no traction bars hanging down on my RS like you can see on many Mustangs/Capris of that era.
    The shifter is quite loose on my Capri, meaning there is significant play; is this the linkage and if so, is it an easy fix? The striping in the trim around the car- is it supposed to be red or white/silve? Mine was white/silver when new but when the car had brake fluid poured on it and it had to be repainted, the bodyshop told us it was originally red/orange and thus switched it to that color. Anyone know the original color of RS Turbos? Thx for any help you may offer.

There was only one color for the 1984 Capri RS Turbo. It was a two tone Charcoal upper and a silver lower with light gray stripe rub moldings. It did have the orange/red lettering and striping.

I'm pretty sure the TRX suspention was standard an the only optional items were the sun and T-top roofs.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Well,

Here's the full details - I guess I was wrong about the TRX suspension and it looks like the rub molding did have either orange or a gray stripe on it. I've only seen the gray rub molding.

http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/...apri_brochure/

Default Shifter loose

Its easy to fix the sloppy shifter. There are two rubber bushings that fit into the handle and the two mounting bolts go thru them to bolt the shifter handle to the transmission shifter stub. The rubber bushings don't last very long. Your lucky to get 3 or 4 years out of them before there shot. The biggest problem is getting the console out of the way so you can get to the mounting screws for the shift boot on the floor pan. Your local Ford dealer can still order these bushings. I just changed mine last year.
    I thought that the quad shock setup came in 1985. But I kind of remember that "late availability" thing you mentioned too.
    Shoot us a couple of pics of your car. RS Turbo's are rare.
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

Which wheels and tires were standard and optional on the '84 Turbo RS is a little confusing to me. Looking at the Capri literature on negusm's 'site, the Product Fact Books list the metric ("TRX") wheels and tires as optional but the Salesman Guide lists them as standard.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Which wheels and tires were standard and optional on the '84 Turbo RS is a little confusing to me. Looking at the Capri literature on negusm's 'site, the Product Fact Books list the metric ("TRX") wheels and tires as optional but the Salesman Guide lists them as standard.
    I believe he is referring to this wheel, the 14" caps (turbine-esque, or finned). I was unaware these wheels had Goodyears put on them.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    http://ascmclarencoupe.com/Literatur...ctsBook_11.jpg

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...nGuide_025.jpg

Most seemed to have come with TRX. The others I have seen have had their wheels swapped....and we don't know of a TRX code on the build tags, etc.

But why not post your door tab info, vin and body tag info? We can see a lot from that.

And yes, all 1984 Turbo RS Capris were charcoal grey with the Red/Orange stripe. Dunno how it got the wrong stripe. Maybe a factory error or the dealer "fixed" it. Many cars are damaged on the way to the dealer. This is why they won't release the car before it is prepped after coming off the truck.

-Mike

The lower car is what your car should look like, exactly:

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post

And yes, all 1984 Turbo RS Capris were charcoal grey with the Red/Orange stripe. Dunno how it got the wrong stripe. Maybe a factory error or the dealer "fixed" it.

-Mike
    Mike could the stripe in the belt molding be silver or orange? I'm not talking about the orange stripe on the bottom, but there is a stripe in the middle of the molding. This maybe the question iowaguy is trying to figure out.

You would definitely think that the stripe in the molding would be orange to match the stripe below (as seen in your picture above). My recollection, and I thought it was weird seeing it at the time which is why I remember, is that this molding, at least on some cars, had a silver stripe.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...or_book_09.jpg

The body side moulding could be three colors depending on your interior if I read the chart right. P = Light Grey = Charcoal Int, E = Bittersweet = Canyon Red Int or U = Tan = Desert Tan Interior.

Quote Originally Posted by iowaguy View Post
    My dad bought it new in '84 and I've driven it since age 16. It's got 160,000 miles on it- all original and still runs great. It's been in storage since '99.
    Questions are these:
    After thinking the TRX wheels were standard on the RS Turbos, I've learned that they were only optional and the black turbine wheel covers which came on it were the standard choice on the Goodyear Eagle GTs. Is this the case?
    Was the quadra-shock suspension the ONLY suspension on the '84 RS Turbo? It's what mine has but I've read that it was a "late availabilty" option. There are no traction bars hanging down on my RS like you can see on many Mustangs/Capris of that era.
    The shifter is quite loose on my Capri, meaning there is significant play; is this the linkage and if so, is it an easy fix? The striping in the trim around the car- is it supposed to be red or white/silve? Mine was white/silver when new but when the car had brake fluid poured on it and it had to be repainted, the bodyshop told us it was originally red/orange and thus switched it to that color. Anyone know the original color of RS Turbos? Thx for any help you may offer.
    FWIW - My 84 RS Turbo has slapper bars....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Mine has quads and dealer A/C.

Bill
    Last edited by billkandi; 09-06-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...or_book_09.jpg

The body side moulding could be three colors depending on your interior if I read the chart right. P = Light Grey = Charcoal Int, E = Bittersweet = Canyon Red Int or U = Tan = Desert Tan Interior.
    Mike,

Thanks for your insight! If you look at billkandi's photo album, on his 84 Capri RS Turbo he has the light grey stripe on his molding and a "PA" in the line A30/31 of his build sheet (interior color) and "P" on line D31 of his build sheet (molding color). Nice! Great info.
    Last edited by 8T6 SVO; 09-06-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Yep, those Ford dealer books are invaluable for figuring out these things.

-Mike

iowaguy, bosscar, JTurbop, billkandi, and ANYone else with a Turbo RS, would you please post any an all information on your car?

Please see this thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=82342

Thanks!

I'll work on getting the info on my 84RS Turbo together this weekend....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

To toss a monkey in the wrench. I found an old Ford nut in Cali with a warehouse full of NOS Ford parts. I liked chatting with the old guy and found a NOS set of quad shocks new in the box with instructions and templates how to install them. Could not resist tossing them on the 83 Capri.

Man thinking of the things he had. I remember finding a NOS set of SVO doorpanels still in wrappers.

Oh forgot my point. Back then Ford offered most everything in the parts department so with out looking at the build sheet it could be hard to know what a Fox actually came with as people like me would install factory parts 8^)

Now the 8.8 kinda gives it away that it is not stock.

I've got the CAC sheet from Ford on my car. I don't have a picture of the buck tag or a copy of the info yet. The door tag is gone due to the door, hood, LF fender, and nose having been stolen before I bought it. I'll make an effort to get the buck info ASAP. The car is in my mother's garage at the moment, still there from when I retired from the USAF. I'll add this to my album.

Bill

My build sheet is in my album also.
    Last edited by billkandi; 09-13-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FOXCHASSIS here is my info
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

and this came off my seats
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho

The car has no ac -standard radio-turbine wheel covers Manual window / door locks no heated glass no light group
    Last edited by 83rsturbo; 09-13-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho

83rsturbo: Can you type out the date, the VIN, and all of the codes from the VC Label (door sticker)? Some of them are difficult to see in that image. Very cool on the tags from the '83 "Sport Performance" seats! Thanks for posting everything. Yours was one of three that I didn't have much info on. Have you tried to locate the Build sheet?

ok as best as I can read it 1MEBP79W6DF623175
    06/83 GVWR 3942 LB 178 KG FRONT GAWR 2063 LB
    REAR 1899 EXTERIOR 9D BODY 61D INT. HD
    AC-M AX R DSO 16 TR 2HHAH not sure of the last one
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast