Thread: rear end decode

Default rear end decode

Can anybody help a guy out?

tag on rear is this:

2L73881K29
    s215a

any clue what it means?
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

S215A = axle plant model code (S = Sterling axle plant) (2)L73 = 2.73:1 gearset w/ Traction-Lok limited slip differential 88 = 8.8" ring gear

I cant find anything on the other number, you can also look on your door for the axle code.

right under our nose... whats wrong with us?

So I've seen the axle tag decoder link...And I knew how to do that anyway from my F150 days, someone taught me that back then, but...

My new project doesn't have the differential tag, so I have to rely on the door jamb codes/tag. Can anyone supply a link to decoding that way? I found a spreadsheet elsewhere online, but I wasn't sure how accurate it was. Also, wouldn't you know of all fields, the axle one is the one that's a little worn. I can't tell if it's an 8 or a B. 99% sure it's a 'B' because that other spreadsheet (which told me that was a 3.08 open rear) didn't have an 8. Any help here?

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    So I've seen the axle tag decoder link...And I knew how to do that anyway from my F150 days, someone taught me that back then, but...

My new project doesn't have the differential tag, so I have to rely on the door jamb codes/tag. Can anyone supply a link to decoding that way? I found a spreadsheet elsewhere online, but I wasn't sure how accurate it was. Also, wouldn't you know of all fields, the axle one is the one that's a little worn. I can't tell if it's an 8 or a B. 99% sure it's a 'B' because that other spreadsheet (which told me that was a 3.08 open rear) didn't have an 8. Any help here?
    It could be 8 or B. Both are valid. It depends on the year and engine and transmission. Here are some links for you:

Rear axle ratios
    5.0L standard and optional axle ratios
    1979-86 Capri & Mustang: available engine/trans/axle combos
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-15-2018 at 06:53 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thank you Fox Chassis. How ecompassing is that first link among all of the fox body cars? Or is it specific to Mustangs only?

I apologize, I'd be more forthcoming with info, but I'm trying to keep the wraps on my project until my YouTube video is published Tuesday of next week.

Those are ratios for all of the Foxes with 6.75, 7.5, or 8.8 rear.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

This is what I have in the database:

Fairmont/Zephyr: 8 B F G Y
    Capri/Mustang: 5 6 8 B E F G M R W Y Z
    Cougar/Thunderbird: 5 8 F G K M R W Y Z
    Granada: 8 B
    Continental: 5 8 Y Z
    LTD/Marquis: 8 B E F M R Y
    Mark VII: 5 6 8 E W Y Z

So I haven't seen C or H yet, and I've seen K but it's not in my original list.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by plstktnkr2 View Post
    Can anybody help a guy out?

tag on rear is this:

2L73881K29
    s215a

any clue what it means?

Well, I agree with Mic.

In 8.8 trucks, the one combination I had from another 2.47 axle user was was "88" for a 2.47 axle. This is contrary to the Fox info, but I know its easy to think a 8 is a B.

This piece of info affirms what FoxChassis is saying. .....With a 2.47 8.8" axle, the second letter might be "B"

I think

S800A
    2478B4xxx

is correct for a for this quoted F truck 2.47 axle call tag below

It was quoted as....

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65424&start=50
    Quote Originally Posted by lasitter

For anyone else interested, my research suggests that you'd find these gears in 83-86 Broncos and F-150s, probably with 4-speed transmissions and high gear ratios. Just a guess about those last bits. Junkyard search would probably be best, because they are REALLY SCARCE on the internet.

You're looking for a tag something like this:

S800A
    247884xxx

"88" on the axle tag is correct. That is the ring gear diameter.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Those are ratios for all of the Foxes with 6.75, 7.5, or 8.8 rear.
    Awesome, thank you!