Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Anyone w/ a MGW shifter having a hard time hitting 3rd?

I have a MGW shifter with just a couple hundred miles on it. Went to the track last night and missed 3rd nearly every time. I never had a problem with the stock shifter hitting 3rd.

I went with the MGW due to its adjustability and being able to rotate the shifter ball towards the driver.

Addtionally the shifting is very notchy.
    Ron Gibson

'84 GT Turbo - Under construction - Build Thread - Maximum Motorsports, Cobra R, Boport, Chuck W, Stinger, Turbo_Dad MegaSquirt
    '83 Thunderbird TC - Bone Stock

FEP Senior Member

I run a Steeda Tri-Ax and it felt the same way. I think you just have to get used to it. I'm not sure what actually causes the notchiness unless it's the short throw part of it. My son hardly ever missed gears in his 85GT until he switched from the stocker to a Tri-ax and then he had a hard time for a while. But now after driving it a lot and getting a feel for it, he's back to doing good again. I actually think that if it wasn't for the stops on the aftermarket shifters, the stock shifter with some steel bushings in the handle is a tough combo to beat. FWIW, I had a Pro-5.0 for a while and it was even more notchy than the Steeda Tri-Ax. Good Luck!

I have the MGW and I have missed 3rd at the track a couple times. I never have any problem on the street, although I am usually not speed shifting like I do at the track. I am going to just try to get used to it and see what happens. The one thing I don't like about the shifter is how short the damn thing is, give me some leverage! Otherwise I like the shifter though.
    '85 ASC McLaren coupe
    EFI conversion
    Twisted Wedge heads, etc...
    13.2@105

FEP Senior Member

I never have an issue on the street.

Thanks for the info thus far.
    Ron Gibson

'84 GT Turbo - Under construction - Build Thread - Maximum Motorsports, Cobra R, Boport, Chuck W, Stinger, Turbo_Dad MegaSquirt

FEP Super Member

I have a custom short throw handle, with no bushings, just a hole drilled about .005 bigger than the shifter bolts. It's got a nice direct feel for a stock shifter. I've never missed a shift at the track, or when power shifting on the street.
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

FEP Senior Member

I try to keep my shifting consistent, I miss all the gears, not just 3rd!. I could miss 1st if that was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I have a MGW shifter with just a couple hundred miles on it. Went to the track last night and missed 3rd nearly every time. I never had a problem with the stock shifter hitting 3rd.

I went with the MGW due to its adjustability and being able to rotate the shifter ball towards the driver.

Addtionally the shifting is very notchy.
    I have one in my 93 cobra, and LOVE it. I was beating on it pretty hard this morning. Never had a problem with mine. Maybe you're having clutch cable, or possibly transmission issues.
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

Banned

I know its gonna be different on a T-5 but....

Ive got a MGW on my 6 speed cobra- that shifter is the only reason my trans isnt junk- I used to miss third every time I raced. I love the MGW- the centering springs are pretty strong on it, very solid feel, just a nicely made piece. How far do you have the handle clocked on the base. I have mine at about 6:30 or so.

FEP Senior Member

I have mine sitting at about the same, 6:30 7:00
    Ron Gibson

Mine is at about 7:30, directly in the middle of 6 and 9 o'clock.
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

the mgw for the sn95 cars is the best shifter out there.

However, for a t5 equipped fox, I can't stand it.

My father is running an mgw on our 86 ssp, and I can't stand the piece of junk. FIrst time out on the street I missed third, then again and again. It's the way it's engineered...third gear is just plain wrong.

I ran a pro 5.0 for 10 years, and my bro a tri ax, and third gear feels fantastic with those two shifters.

The mgw and the t5 isn't the perfect combo IMO....you'd probably be more happy with a tri ax or pro 5.0
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by r85must View Post
    I try to keep my shifting consistent, I miss all the gears, not just 3rd!. I could miss 1st if that was possible.
    +1

Same here with Hurst shifter!!

Tommy