Close

FEP Member

Default alternator question

Hey guys,just registered so please dont yell at me,but............are the 3g
    (94/95)alternator swaps for a 86 GT wired the same as a 87-93 cars?looks like it to me,i did the swap on my old 90 notch and want to do it on my new stang.thanks.

i believe its slightly different if I recall. im sure someone should chime in for sure

86 50CPRI

I read the last link, about losing the function of the amp gauge. I respectfully disagree. According to the EVTM, the amp gauge is wired in parallel to an 'ammeter shunt' circuit, which appears to be nothing other than the battery supply circuit off the alternator. Its as if this amps meter is actually only measuring a volt drop in the wire, or more accurately, a difference in potential between the alternator output and the battery source connection at the starter relay. See the diagram:

so,please correct me if I am wrong,shouldn't you be able to ID these wires in the harness, and re-direct them to either end of the new charge cable(as they originally were wired) and have a functioning ammeter?

I need to convert mine and follow through with this to prove it to myself.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The ammeter samples current(amps) to determine the direction that the current is flowing so that the gauge can determine discharge or charge. It does not measure voltage as such.
    Since the 3G outputs more amps then the OE gauge is calibrated for, this basicaly renders the ammeter useless. With the right wiring knowledge you may be able to get some use out of the stock ammeter gauge but it is easier to just wire in a voltmeter.
    1985 GT HB, AOD/CFI, Oxford White
    '91 H-Pipe
    Hooker Exhaust
    K&N
    KYB Struts & Shocks
    AOD Performance Upgrades
    CFI to Carbed 306 conversion in planing stage.

86 50CPRI

Quote Originally Posted by Whtstang View Post
    The ammeter samples current(amps) to determine the direction that the current is flowing so that the gauge can determine discharge or charge. It does not measure voltage as such..
    I know it does not measure voltage, but a true ammeter is wired in series,isn't it? And if its only sampling to detect direction,of current flow, then isn't true output insignificant?

. With the right wiring knowledge you may be able to get some use out of the stock ammeter gauge but it is easier to just wire in a voltmeter.
    This is what I am suggesting.

I have a plan....more details to come.....

you have to change a wire to 4 gauge and a few other nick nacks, nothing major at all
    86lx coupe
    351w.....its just a truck motor

captain cave man racing!!!

faster than your first sexual experience

allenpul

Since the 3G outputs more amps then the OE gauge is calibrated for, this basicaly renders the ammeter useless. With the right wiring knowledge you may be able to get some use out of the stock ammeter gauge but it is easier to just wire in a voltmeter.
    Put out more amperage than the stock unit is true however its not going to put out more than is needed....... just because the 3G has the ability to put out 130 amps does not mean it does this all the time. The main purpose is to recharge the battery after start then power the current cars amperage needs.... Volt meters are good to see how much your unit is putting out however just because it is at 14 volts does not mean its outputting 130 amps... And 14 volts output doesn't mean the alternator is charging either, that is why they load test alternators to see if they can put out enough current as well as volts.

Now on my 82 Capri the ammeter still works, it detects drains and sees charge....

Quote Originally Posted by allenpul View Post
    Put out more amperage than the stock unit is true however its not going to put out more than is needed....... just because the 3G has the ability to put out 130 amps does not mean it does this all the time.
    Yes, but 3G's put out more amps across the board then 1 or 2G's

Quote Originally Posted by allenpul View Post
    14 volts does not mean its outputting 130 amps... And 14 volts output doesn't mean the alternator is charging either, that is why they load test alternators to see if they can put out enough current as well as volts.

Now on my 82 Capri the ammeter still works, it detects drains and sees charge....
    I think it's cool that your Ammeter still works. I wish I could get mine working consistantly. Personally I just like the idea of the voltmeter. They are more reliable & give real world numbers on what is going on with the charging system. I mean if you have a base battery voltage of 12 1/2 & the volt gauge is only reading 11 you know it's time to have the system checked.
    1985 GT HB, AOD/CFI, Oxford White
    '91 H-Pipe
    Hooker Exhaust
    K&N
    KYB Struts & Shocks
    AOD Performance Upgrades
    CFI to Carbed 306 conversion in planing stage.

allenpul

Yes, but 3G's put out more amps across the board then 1 or 2G's
    This true however theya re not going to put out more then is needed. Meaning only current draw of the cars system will determine how many amps the alternator outputs. If you have 100 watt H1 and 65/85 watt H4 lights then the 3g will give you that extra amperage you will need but if your ride is stock and the radio it stock then it will put out like the stock 2g mind you with more reserve amperage than any 2g.

Personally I just like the idea of the voltmeter. They are more reliable & give real world numbers on what is going on with the charging system. I mean if you have a base battery voltage of 12 1/2 & the volt gauge is only reading 11 you know it's time to have the system checked.
    True, but I like the stock look of the gauge package and working gauges are best!

When I convert to aftermarket I will be using a volt meter.