Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No way i'll ever install 17" on a 4-eye ... it looks goofy unless you've updated to bigger brakes.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Hey guys, I have found a guy who can re-hoop out TRX wheels to a 16" rim. I am in process of working out a price per wheel, to do this. If several of us jump on this, i'm sure we can get a volume discount. I have contacted several wheel shops, and this is the first guy that says he can do this, so unless you want to pay Coker $1325.00 for a set of tires, I'd suggest you get your wheels in this first shipment. I will let you guys know, what the cost per wheel is.
    Also, I am still waiting for reply's from several other wheel machine shops. If a better option becomes available, I'll let you guys know.
    Mach

ragtopjr

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mach2race View Post
    Hey guys, I have found a guy who can re-hoop out TRX wheels to a 16" rim. I am in process of working out a price per wheel, to do this. If several of us jump on this, i'm sure we can get a volume discount. I have contacted several wheel shops, and this is the first guy that says he can do this, so unless you want to pay Coker $1325.00 for a set of tires, I'd suggest you get your wheels in this first shipment. I will let you guys know, what the cost per wheel is.
    Also, I am still waiting for reply's from several other wheel machine shops. If a better option becomes available, I'll let you guys know.
    Mach
    I love the idea of having my TRX's rehooped to a 16 (would not do a 17), and the only place I have found that has actually done it succesfully is http://www.trudesignwheel.net out of denver.

When I called them i believe it was $325-350 per wheel which in the grand scheme of things is pretty costly for me at about $5250 for 15 wheels (3 cars and 1 spare per car), as well as the added cost of the new tires.

Someday it will happen I am sure as the Anniversary cars are just meant to have those rims on them but my money tree has been hit hard by the recession and $8 K for wheels and tires is out of reach right now

Its a great idea you have, but bad timing for me right now

Well i'm hoping we can get this done cheaper than $300 a wheel. If we can get this worked out, maybe you could get (1) set done know. I have also been hit hard by the economy, but remember many of these machine shops are also looking for work. These bad times, may work in our favor.

Mach

Hey guys, just to give you an update.... I have not heard back from my last contact. He says he can re-hoop out TRX wheels to 16's, but he could not give me an exact price. He could only say, materials & time. I told him we need a $$ amount, before we can committ to sending him our wheels.
    I have another friend whom, is meeting with a wheel manufacture Tuesday. He is going to ask them about re-hooping VS. machining us some new 16" TRX wheels. This company has the equipment to do either. I suspect, they are going to lean towards machining new wheels, just because of the liability of re-hooping an existing wheel.
    I also will be contacting other wheel / machine shops, next week.

Guys, we could use your help. Take a few minutes, call your local machine shops, or do like me... and surf the web, send some emails to wheels manufactures & machine shops. (Any place that works with alloy wheels. If we work together, we can find a solution to this TRX issue. If nothing else, we create enough interest on teh web, that eventually a machine shop will decide there is enough interest out there to manufacture a new TRX wheel. The "crooks" at Coker tire, are counting on us to do nothing. Who knows, next year they might get $1800.00 for a set of tires?
    C'mon guys... get involved

Mach
    Last edited by mach2race; 09-04-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Just to let you guys know, I got a reply from a guy yesterday that said he could resize our wheels to 16"... however, he wanted 400.00 per wheel. I told him, thanks but we need a better price, to make this work.
    I'm still checking with other shops.
    Mach

FYI Guys,
    I have a 1982 Mustang GT that I would like to keep the original 220/55R390 tires on also.
    The 82 was the first year they brought back the GT with the 302 boss, So I don't want to change the rims, Just like you don't on your 79 pace cars. Count me in if you get someone to help us out. For a reasonable Price.

Ok I found a Michelin Dealer Who will deliver the tires to the us for 330.00 a tire. http://www.longstonetires.com/Michelin-trx.php.

I bet they are purchasing those from Coker, since he has the molds. Thats about what Coker sells them for.

FEP Power Member

I researched getting the TRX rim reproduced also a few years ago. It's gonna be tough. IMO the best way to do this is to do a 16" TRX look alike. All the shops I contacted were'nt too keen on the idea. If I had the extra cash I would contract this out. Good luck...

Hey, i have another shop looking at producing a 16" TRX wheel. This guy is already making making specialty wheels, like cobra "R" for t-birds & cougars. I will send you guys the details...
    Mach

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

I would be interested in reproduction TRXs for my cobra.
    1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Blog Entries

Just to give you guys some pricing perspective on trying to get this sort of thing done, take a look at the going price for some other wheels along these lines:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...18AK10512&trk=

https://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/...P26EW7639&trk=

https://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/...P26EW7639&trk=

It's simply not going to be cheap. Small quantity runs are going to be high dollar, any sane shop is going to want these things paid for in advance right now, they won't touch the retail/customer service aspect of it, and when you take into consideration the potential liability issues of making wheels, it's going to have to really be worth their while to wade into these waters.

Heck, there aren't many quality aftermarket (made in USA, Japan, Europe...NOT talking China here) wheels that are under 300 a piece these days, and those are wheels with actual production run quantities.

I'd love to see larger TRX style wheels made, but I'm well aware of the costs involved and I think that folks need to be more realistic about what niche market stuff will cost.

Also, instead of calling Coker Tire names, perhaps it should be pointed out that if they didn't get behind making TRX tires, the tires wouldn't even be available over here. No one else out there has been able to do what they have done for reproduction, period-correct tires. The super discount store mentality cannot be applied to everything.

If you can't afford something,are unwilling to pay a given asking price, or having that particular item is not high enough on your list of wants to justify the cost at this time, fine, accept whichever situation applies, but don't bash the ones willing to take the financial risk to provide a little-wanted and obscure part, one that has a big legal liability attached to it, to those who can.

Anyway, if you guys get something organized that you think will go through, let FEP Staff know and we'll try to get an announcement up for you to try to drum up more awareness and participants.

all i know is that i need a set..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only service that "Corky" coker is providing is too himself. He calls himself a "car guy"... i think not. I talked with Michelin headquarters in England. Coker came to them, to purchase the molds. I live in the chattanooga area, I've been to their shop. Even the employees that work there, laugh at what he is charging for these 1980 tech tires. Also, Year One is not known for being competitive in its pricing. I can find mustang parts much cheaper, than what Year One, sells them for. There are several wheel manuafactures that do build custom wheels for much less. I've found one such manufacture that is making cobra "R" code wheels to fit Thunderbird & Cougars. He sells the polished ones for $160.00 each. I don't expect anyone to give the wheels away, but there are wheel shops that actually want new business. Year One is selling that "stupid-expensive" Bandit trans AM. They want you to purchase the entire car from them, so they are going to charge you out the "#$$" to buy those custom snowflake "bandit" wheels. That way, building your own car is less appling.
    Last edited by mach2race; 10-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.

ragtopjr

Thumbs down

the only service that "Corky" coker is providing is too himself. He calls himself a "car guy"... i think not. I talked with Michelin headquarters in England. Coker came to them, to purchase the molds. I live in the chattanooga area, I've been to their shop. Even the employees that work there, laugh at what he is charging for these 1980 tech tires. Also, Year One is not known for being competitive in its pricing. I can find mustang parts much cheaper, than what Year One, sells them for. There are several wheel manuafactures that do build custom wheels for much less. I've found one such manufacture that is making cobra "R" code wheels to fit Thunderbird & Cougars. He sells the polished ones for $160.00 each. I don't expect anyone to give the wheels away, but there are wheel shops that actually want new business. Year One is selling that "stupid-expensive" Bandit trans AM. They won't you to purchase the entire car from them, so they are going to charge you out the "#$$" to buy those custom snowflake "bandit" wheels.
    Its purely a case of supply and demand, I dont see how he is a crook because he is supplying a product that the original manufacturer deemed too costly to provide any longer.

Keep in mind these tires were extremely expensive even back when they were produced by michelin!

i'll take a set in 16" would be cool like a wider offset for the rear.

This is a interesting topic. I've always wanted to make a set of tires where everyone can afford them and have the same ride as todays tires. The thing is getting someone who wants to make them pretty reasonable for everyone to buy them and to find those rims is another issue because alot of them ended up in the recycle bind at the aluminum places. Not everyone has those rims anymore. What I would recommend is doing some tire research and seeing who wants to help you out as far as a company and see how many people really want to pitch the same idea as you do. You will be surprised on how many want to go with the idea against the ones that don't. I've thought about it many times and talked to a big tire guy with a company out of California but it didn't fly because it would have to take money and constant requests from people like any other thing out there. If it is in dire need by people they will make it if not they will not even bother the head ache and thats why Corky does what he does with people because he knows that people will pay top dollar for a tire that no one else wants to spend making in the end. Its all about MONEY friend more then anything.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

Mike Croke

A little research in the library shows Tire Rack stopped advertising TRX tires around June 1994. The last price listed for a 220/55/390 was $148 per tire. That was over 15 years ago. For reference, in the same issue of Road & Track, a '94 Mustang GT is listed at $21,550. We are now in the year 2009 and a Mustang GT costs $31,845 according to Ford's website. About a 50% increase due to inflation, increased labor costs, increased material costs, and ever tightening regulations for fuel economy and emissions.

Manufacturing tires has not gotten cheaper over the years. The increase in labor costs (minimum wage increases, union contracts, increased health care coverage), increase in the price of raw materials, and the constant increase of regulation by the EPA, NHTSA, and OSHA make manufacturing anything more difficult and expensive. To think the TRX tires will not increase in price is very naive. As demand drops, the cost to produce each tire goes up as volume decreases.

If Coker were "raping" the customer, that would mean the profit margins are huge. If there are huge profits to be made, some other company would step in and compete and help themselves to the big fat dollars by undercutting Coker. But none do. High prices do not automatically equal high profits.

As I recall, Michelin makes the tires for Coker even though Coker owns the molds. Michelin made a move 5 years ago to push out private brand production in order to concentrate on more profitable brands.. They don't fall off the back of the truck from Michelin at Coker's place at no charge. If they survived that purge you can believe Michelin finds it profitable.

Like cars, there are about 6-7 companies that make them all. The scale of production at that level is insane, getting them to build a better mousetrap is going to be a tough one. To put it in perspective, there are 2 gentleman on the 11th floor of Bridgestone Firestone's headquarters in Nashville, TN that come to work on Tokyo's time zone to discuss production 2 years in advance. With minor tweeks the BFS tires you buy today had their production scheduled 2 years ago.
    Last edited by 85vert; 10-06-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Guys... Coker purchased the molds from Michelin. Nobody but Coker can make these. Coker does sell to other tire stores, but he owns the molds. I spent a day calling Michelin corporate US, which gave me the number for Michelin, England. i was told, the tires where only available thru Coker Tire. he purchased the TRX molds. He has done the same with several other tire manufactures. Once he owns the mold... he charge what ever he wants. I made a formal complaint (email) to Michelin, telling them they were throwing their loyal customers to the wolves, by selling the molds on speciality tires. They responded by giving me a $25.00 gift card, good with the purchase of a new set of Michelin pilots.... lol, no kidding. Coker actually makes his own tires. I have a cousin who works there, no he can't get me much of a discount.... already tried. They make many of their vintage / speciality tires as they are ordered.
    Last edited by mach2race; 10-06-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Guys... Coker purchased the molds from Michelin. Nobody but Coker can make these. Coker does sell to other tire stores, but he owns the molds. I spent a day calling Michelin corporate US, which gave me the number for Michelin, England. i was told, the tires where only available thru Coker Tire. he purchased the TRX molds. He has done the same with several other tire manufactures. Once he owns the mold... he charge what ever he wants. I made a formal complaint (email) to Michelin, telling them they were throwing their loyal customers to the wolves, by selling the molds on speciality tires. They responded by giving me a $25.00 gift card, good with the purchase of a new set of Michelin pilots.... lol, no kidding. Coker actually makes his own tires. I have a cousin who works there, no he can't get me much of a discount.... already tried. They make many of their vintage / speciality tires as they are ordered.
    No one but Coker can SELL them.
    Tires are built by Michelin- hence the disclaimer in their '08 Wholesale Catalog:
    "Quantites are limited and current stock on-hand may be available throughout 2008 but future production is not guaranteed.'
    Coker may build some stuff but trust me, Michelin is not letting anyone else build tires with Michelin's name on the side.

I don't want to argue, and you can believe what you want... but I talked with both Michelin US, and Michelin in England, myself. The U.S.A. Michelin group, gave me the telephone number of the UK Michelin group. the US Michelin group, told me that Coker was the only supplier in the US, but he thought they might still be in production in the UK. I telephoned the UK. They were the ones that told me the TRX product was no longer in production The TRX product was only available thru Coker in the USA, since Coker purchased the molds, he had an exclusive on the TRX product. Coker sells many vintage firestones, goodyears, that neither firestone or goodyear no longer produce. He does this, because Coker purchases the molds and rights to build these tires, in effect giving him a monopoly on many vintage / rare tires. When i purchased my set OF TRX tires at Coker, about 5 years ago, they did not have the correct width of TRX tire for my pace car.in stock. However, they did have a set, that was slightly wider (stock for some models of BMW) The salesman at coker told me he would give me a discount on these (saved about 50.00) or they could make me a set the size i wanted. I believe he said typically, about 3 days from the time i placed the order. However, he did offer to call over to the shop and see if they were currently building up any TRX's. He said, they might already have an order placed for some TRX's in the size i needed. Typically, when they get an order for a particular size, they will go ahead and make additional sets, while they have the molds out. I took the set that was wide, and saved the $50.00, since i was feeling guilty about spending that much money. I still spent a 1000.00. on 1980's tire technology. I won't ever do that again, but at the time... i had entered my pace car in the 40th anniversary show in Nashville, so i wanted to drive her around the track with the correct TRX wheels / tires. I had a great time, but I have bought my last set of Coker TRX tires.

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

Maybe the guys across the pond can answer this:
    In Europe, are tire sizes inmetric or US Standard? Is the issue getting ANY tire in a metric size to fit the wheels or is it getting TRX's ONLY to fit the wheels?
    Example, if you walked up to the latest Fiat and looked at the tires, are the dimensions in metric or US Standard?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Default update.... no luck so far

Hey guys,

I heard from a guy that has some custom "R" codes for t-birds and cougars. However, at this time... he isn't interested in building any 16" TRX wheels. I guess he doesn't realize how big this market could be. I have a friend who is bid in drag racing. He is meeting with a wheel manufacture, and has promised to ask them about doing some custom TRX wheels. I offered him one of my TRX wheels as an example.
    I'll keep you guys posted...

Tony B.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast