Close

Thread: carb question

Default carb question

First things first. My 79 capri turbo is a big disappointment to me. It just doesn't go. I see it has a new carb on it and don't know what it is. I know the turbo carbs are different. I saw a 80-82 turbo carb for $150. That is remaned. Is that worth it or should I re jet mine?

I would research what you have first. It may not be the carb causing the issue. A carb upgrade is common for individuals wanting more power out of these cars. I would check the timing, and work on uncorking your exhaust with a 3" downpipe and some free flowing pipes. These engines can be made to haul, it just takes some work and ingenuity.
    She's coming together very nicely now that I have to sell her, I guess that's how things go...

Default and then

It could be the wrong carb. Non-turbo 2.3 5200 series carbs run too lean,
    have a 22mm primary venturi vs turbo 26mm .
    Turbo cars need more fuel and air.
    I got the wrong one s.o. directly from holley even after using the original carb tag to order it!
    The jets were too small-car was a dog with no bark. Found that out after a weeks worth of checking everything else.
    After changing some parts over from the old carb, car easily ran fast enough to get a ticket or two.

If you have the money and the 150 carb is a real turbo calibrated one, it might be worth it to get it. Keep the running one as a spare.

If the regular carb has certain vacuum fittings on the air horn, unique to the turbo carb, it can be made to work fine by swapping the internal parts for the correct ones. This is why a turbo carb is nice to have-it has the parts already in it. Like where does one find a store selling a 259, 263, 275, or 283 main jet?
    The main well tubes might be correct. High speed bleeds may not be.

Open it up. In 79 carb id were
    D9ZE-ND tag.. 259 primary/283 secondary, main jets (a/c car)
    D9ZE-MD tag.. 263/275 (non-a/c).
    both have 14R974 main well tubes, HS bleeds 185/195 prime/sec
    Accel pump lever location on #3 bottom
    All other specs same as non turbo.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-18-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Does anyone know if the 80 2.3L Turbo had the same carb as the 79?? Also does anyone have a picture of what the correct "turbocarb" looks like. I can not find a number on mine

Default E0ZE-AAA

Finally had time to post-was at an air show last 2 days.

Pic is air horn of '80 E0ZE-AAA, Looks same as 79 turbo one.
    Am putting it on '79 car. Should work fine.
    Note the two small vac hose connections.
    The bottom part of carb looks like any other 5200 carb.

A search on carb numbers result:
    2.3T 80-83 interchange number is 2-1208 includes E0ZE-AAA
    2.3T '79 interchange number is 2-1206
    Last edited by gr79; 08-22-2009 at 08:08 PM.

One thing I would be concerned about with those carbs is the choke plate screws. I had one of those screws come out, ruin my turbo and put a hole into a piston on a 79 Capri RS turbo motor I had. 30 year old parts may show some fatigue.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Man, I have a Weber 32/36 that looks very similar to the old Holley 2.3 carb. I wonder if that would be a good upgrade for the old 2.3 turbos?
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

I think holleys number is 5200 and it should be identical to a weber, but I am not sure what model # weber goes by.

Default screw that

Quote Originally Posted by 8T6 SVO View Post
    One thing I would be concerned about with those carbs is the choke plate screws. I had one of those screws come out, ruin my turbo and put a hole into a piston on a 79 Capri RS turbo motor I had. 30 year old parts may show some fatigue.
    Took that whole choke assy off my spare. The parts are now in a ziploc instead of maybe taking a unauthorized trip thru the engine.
    Once had a piece of weld slag get sucked up from a custom pipe a shop made up for me. Happened when i pulled out from there onto the street.
    Locked up a good turbo.

Good 'ol 5200 Pinto Holley/Weber carbs-had one on a 70 Beetle.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-25-2009 at 11:29 PM.