Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

or use my horn method...Finger works and its quick and easy.. I have 2 and got it one a buy one get one free sale..

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTCONV View Post
    or use my horn method...Finger works and its quick and easy.. I have 2 and got it one a buy one get one free sale..
    LOL........

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

having the same issue..was there ever any resolve to this one? I had done this on an 88 years back and it was fine!

So I got to some investigating, and noticed that the Grant kit they say fits the 86 DOES NOT fit the 86. The long, flat end on the hub pinches that spring, which makes it hard to turn the wheel. Also, the wire that folds over and solders to the back ends up in the way of one of those pins that transfers power for the horn button and makes a click with every turn.

If I happen upon one that works, I will post up the good word.

I'm actually having a similar issue, but I have a Momo wheel. It is almost impossible to turn the wheel? I thought it had to do with my power steering system (because it was leaking), but I changed out the ps pump, all the lines, and the rack. I still can't figure out why the wheel won't turn easily?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    I'm actually having a similar issue, but I have a Momo wheel. It is almost impossible to turn the wheel? I thought it had to do with my power steering system (because it was leaking), but I changed out the ps pump, all the lines, and the rack. I still can't figure out why the wheel won't turn easily?
    I found the taper in the Momo hub adapter isn't as precise as the taper in the original Ford wheel.The slightly oversized taper in the hub adapter allows the adapter to seat to far down on the shaft pinching the spring causing bind and a wheel that for me,would not return itself to center after making a turn.

You could remove the spring altogether(never tried it but read folks doing so).I just cut and fit a piece of .002" brass shim stock and installed it in the Momo hub bore so it seated the hub slightly higher up on the shaft so as not to pinch the spring.

You could trim the spring or a number of other things but the shim stock worked well for me.The wheel doesn't "wobble" on the shaft after being torqued down with the shim stock in place so for now I'm considering the binding issue remedied.

Now getting the cruise pins to properly contact the hub adapter rings(since the spacing of the rings is not identical to the stock wheel.The spacing may be different on the later cars?)is a whole other animal.I had to file on the retainer plate that the pin holder bolts on to.This allowed me to rotate the pins inward toward the center so they properly tracked the concentric rings on the underside or the adapter.I also filed the edges of the pins themselves to give more clearance at the raised portion between the rings on the adapter.After all this I now have working CC.

Name:  momowheel002_zps39f69598.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  129.4 KB
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

First off, your Momo wheel is amazing..I absolutely love it. Second, thank you for the tips but I'm not very mechanically inclined, so what exactly does the brass shim stock look like? Is my wheel not able to turn because that spring is compressed? What does that spring do?

I just need things spelled out as easily as possible because I have no idea what I'm doing. Lol
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I've taken the spring out but now my horn still blows non stop. What is the 3 connector part called? Trying to find a non cruise connector.

I'm sorry, but that Grant adapter was a horribly under-engineered piece back when it was first developed in
    the late '50s, and it's even moreso now. It's beyond me how Grant can make high-quality steering wheels
    for the auto manufacturers, but they refuse to bring their aftermarket game up to even '70s quality levels.

I spent a bunch of time correcting these same kind of fitment problems on a Grant wooden wheel for my '68
    vert, but in the end, I never could come to terms with the too-thin spokes, and low quality wood. Ended up
    swapping in an old LeCarra that used to be on my '67.

To this day, nothing cheapens an interior to my eye, worse than a Grant steering wheel.
    I would quit while you're ahead...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

So once I popped horn button in everything is fine now, it was operator error. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12