Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Grant Challenger steering wheel problem

I want to install a Grant Challenger steering wheel on my '86... it has tilt and cruise control, but the CC doesn't work.

I tried installing it, but when I did, it was EXTREMELY HARD TO TURN. Needless to say, I reinstalled the original wheel so I can drive it.

Do I need to remove the spring on the steering shaft, and if so, how? Why is it so damn tight??
    Last edited by banzaibullitt; 08-13-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

bump
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Do you have the Grant steering wheel installation kit to go with the wheel? How about their cruise control kit for the '83-'86 Mustangs? If not, that's your problem. Go to www.summitracing.com and look up the Grant steering wheels and accessories section. You should find what you need. If you want the cruise control to work, you will need to buy that kit and substitute that kit for the standard installation kit.

Hope this helps.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I do have the 3289 installation kit, but the wheel is extremely hard to turn.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Any more help???
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Question

Do I need to remove this spring, and if so, how??

- CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

bump
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

the spring keeps the bearing loaded, you need it. I think your problem will be found with your adapter hub. dont assemble it with the cover so you can see it.

Sounds like you over tightened the steering shaft/wheel nut, you only need to torque it to 25-30 FT/LBS

I'll check it out tomorrow.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Angry

Wheel is still too tight even with only 15 FT/LBS!!

It looks like the adapter hub horn contact flange is up against the contact pins in the column. What can I do??

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

allenpul

put the stock wheel on and forget it lol

- CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

take some more pictures w/ it assembled, of the installation kit, etc..
    it come w/ instructions? if so post em up so we can get a better idea of what's happening
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

I'll do it after work, tomorrow... thanks

The adapter is pushing against the three contacts shown in the picture above. (the black plastic thing just to the right of the steering shaft)
    Last edited by banzaibullitt; 09-17-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

if your not keeping cruise remove the black thing.. it does have power so disconnect the battery cable. It will be fine then. I had the same problem (I didnt remove the battery cable, man those emergency switches and blinkers cost a lot of money) Anyway that should solve the problem. IF your keeping cruise disregard what I am saying

allenpul

I think they are for the horn too right????

Somewhere on here somebody talked about needing a 1" adapter in addition to the installation kit. I dont remember which thread, or why exactly? It may have been for it not working properly resulting in this? Figured i would throw that out there... lol
    1983 TurboCoupe- T3, unopened head- 13.4@98
    1985.5 SVO 9L
    1985 Notch- 2.3 auto---> H/C/I 5.0 5 speed

FEP Power Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by turbo83coupe View Post
    Somewhere on here somebody talked about needing a 1" adapter in addition to the installation kit. I dont remember which thread, or why exactly? It may have been for it not working properly resulting in this? Figured i would throw that out there... lol
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, it sounds like you're missing a part from the kit or skipping a step somewhere.
    You should use some bearing grease on back of it too.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Is it possible that you may have the wrong installation kit? I know that in my quest to get the Grant cruise control kit to work with my Cobra, I bought a Grant installation kit for a '79 Ford Van. It fit the steering shaft on my Cobra but it would rub on the three buttons and I couldn't turn the wheel after installation because it was way too tight. I did not use that kit due to that problem.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

What did you use??

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    Is it possible that you may have the wrong installation kit? I know that in my quest to get the Grant cruise control kit to work with my Cobra, I bought a Grant installation kit for a '79 Ford Van. It fit the steering shaft on my Cobra but it would rub on the three buttons and I couldn't turn the wheel after installation because it was way too tight. I did not use that kit due to that problem.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by allenpul View Post
    I think they are for the horn too right????
    Do you think that is why my horn doesnt work. It a real pain having to use the finger to tell people how I feel. I guess I should put it back in.. I am wondering though-horn is on the column not the wheel???
    I still like my finger method, you just can hear it too well so I have to yell too. I really dont mind

Here are the pictures:

Right side of column w/adapter installed

Left side of column w/adapter installed

Stock wheel back

Grant adapter
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTCONV View Post
    Do you think that is why my horn doesnt work. It a real pain having to use the finger to tell people how I feel. I guess I should put it back in.. I am wondering though-horn is on the column not the wheel???
    I still like my finger method, you just can hear it too well so I have to yell too. I really dont mind
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by banzaibullitt View Post
    I'll do it after work, tomorrow... thanks

The adapter is pushing against the three contacts shown in the picture above. (the black plastic thing just to the right of the steering shaft)
    I think that's your problem....you cannot use a standard Grant adapter with cruise. Notice the 3 deep gouges in the Grant adapter plate and not one of those 3 connectors are hitting the one silver ring on that plate that is for the horn to work.
    You can take that 3 connector piece out but you will have no horn. OR you need to find the non-cruise piece to put in it's place for a horn, ....OR spend $115.00 to add the Grant cruise adapter.

I would call Summit's tech support, they will know, those guys are good.
    Last edited by webestang; 09-18-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast