Close

Default losing my lights!!

The past few times I have driven at night, after about 30-40 minutes of driving, my lights shut off for a few seconds then come back on, then off and on. There is no steady pattern, it is intermittent. It does not seem to be related to the speed that I'm driving, not related to hitting bumps, not related to turning either direction. It just starts happening and continues once it has started. The car is a 1985 Mustang and as far as I am aware it has the original lights, wiring, switch etc - although I know the frontend has been removed and put back on.

I have noticed that I can trigger this to happen sooner if I put on the highbeams, but it WILL still happen with the highbeams turned off the entire time

Any thoughts?? I am heading on a long roadtrip soon with lots of night driving so I need to get this resolved.

Thanks guys.
    -- MATT --
    1985 Saleen #0089
    November 2010 FourEyedRIDE
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/joom/in...d-foureyedride

Headlight switch is bad, common problem.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

yes tis true, My old lincoln looked like a disco going down the road
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

The circuit breaker in the h/l switch has gone bad and keeps tripping. As mentioned above, you have to replace the whole switch, as the CB is built in.

Congrats. The suddenly going dark at 60 mph is a rite of passage among the 4-eye community
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

I bet you were dancing to the hustle everytime those lights starting to go off and on the lincoln.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

Quote Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
    Headlight switch is bad, common problem.
    X2, it took me forever to figure mine out.
    1985 mercury capri, 347, twisted wedge, TFS stage 3, Parker Funnel Web intake, demon 650, all MSD, 8.8, 4.10s, Hoosier QTPs...stock T-5 :0

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Squirrel View Post
    I bet you were dancing to the hustle everytime those lights starting to go off and on the lincoln.
    yeah something like that, that dang car was the best cruizer/hoe-tel, motel, limo I ever had
    damn I miss that car
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

heck yeah those cars had some serious space. you talk about a family car. those were the ones to have. you don't find cars like that and the cars now days are to dang small to get your shag on. what I love about those big cars is that when your turning them those dang things are so smooth. the seem for ever turning as well but I love them and would get one if I found the right one. I love the old school Mercury Grand Marquis. Those are some beautiful cars in my opinion
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

My 80 Bronco did this to me all the time.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

I had the same problem with my light in my 83 capri replaced the headlight switch fixed the problem. My first car was an 86 grand marquis I loved that car and have one word to describe it indestructable I just couldn't kill it maybe thats why I love 5.0L
    86 mustang gt vert 5.0 5 speed 3.73 gears rebuilt stock bottom end with tw170 comp xe270 hr-14 1.6 rr exploder intake 70mm tb mac long tube and flowmaster cat back.
    06 dodge ram 4x4 quad cab 4,7L 6 speed toy hauler
    64 plymouth barracuda mostly original 273 pushbutton auto

haha, yeah those engines keep on ticking for a very, very long time. they were made to last a long time.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

It will also help if you install a relay in the system. A 40 amp relay for a foglight system will do the trick and will actually allow you to run silverstars if you like. I have been using a relay system and silverstars for a couple of yrs with no problems. I actually installed a relay for the low and the high side. Its really simple.

Even after changing the headlight switch, problem will be back sooner or later. Relays will definitely solve the problem and enhance headlights efficiency.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

so if I understand this correctly:

- the switch has a circuit breaker built into it
    - replacing this switch should solve the problem completely
    - but the problem may come back since the new switch could suffer the same problem down the road
    - installing a 40A relay into the circuit will eliminate the problem for good
    - lincolns have a lot of room for shaggin'

thanks guys.
    -- MATT --
    1985 Saleen #0089

Yep, Yep, yep, Yep, YEAH

and do it soon, scared the heck out of me driving thru a forest corridor in the middle of nowhere doing 65 and pitch black as theres a big turn Im heading into !!!!!!!

The electrical system was not made for the better halogen headlights that are out now. also over time the headlight switch cb will get weaker. My jeep wrangler did the same thing when I put a new set of halogens in it. The old ones worked fine but one had condensation. New stock halogens and the lights would turn off and on.
    If you put a 40A relay in between the headlight switch and the headlights you can run the newer silverstars with no problem. You will see a huge difference between these and regular halogens.
    I actually run 3 relays. 1 for low beams, 1 for high, and 1 for foglamps.
    It is a little over kill but I havent had a problem in 3 yrs and my headlamp switch is still the original.
    I think a fog lamp relay is around 3 bucks at any auto parts place. do yourself a favor and dont buy the kit. just get all the good connectors (not the cheapys) and some 14 or 12 ga wire and hook it up.

Quote Originally Posted by s4501 View Post
    I actually run 3 relays. 1 for low beams, 1 for high, and 1 for foglamps.
    It is a little over kill but I havent had a problem in 3 yrs and my headlamp switch is still the original.
    It's not overkill ... it's the way to go.
    Relays don't only prevent the circuit breaker of the headlight switch to act, they provide almost full electricity (there are still some loss due to wire length) to your bulbs.
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

new switch is in, but in the interest of time (I need the car running safely right away) I did not put in a relay - I do plan to sometime soon though.

thanks all for the great tech.
    -- MATT --
    1985 Saleen #0089

for more lighting you can put in 4 silverstars that are both hi/lo beam, and higher wattage style(for an S10 so the plug is slightly different) with relays.. lets just say with lo beams on it's waaay better than stock, with lo and hi(yes both!) beams on i blind oncoming traffic!
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Quote Originally Posted by plstktnkr2 View Post
    yes tis true, My old lincoln looked like a disco going down the road
    lol

and, yeah, switch is common. I just replaced mine without going the relay route. I may do it, but the original switch lasted 22 years. I'm not running any fancy higher wattage lights, though, so that definitely prolongs the life of the switch.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

Don't expect your headlight switch to last as long as the original, replacements usually don't. Sooner than later, you'll have to change it again. Cure before needing to treat.

On our cars, about 2 volts can be lost by the wiring between the battery and the most distant bulb ... that's enough to reduce significantly your bulb output. For an H4 bulb, that's around half the amount of lumens (the light output ... more usefull than the Kelvin of HID bulbs) lost. Give your headlights the power they were designed for, no need for higher - off-road - bulbs or HID conversion, these cars light really well when properly wired.

Never heard somebody complaining about the relay mod neither going back. There's no emergency to do it, but i see no reason not to do it when possible ...

Check with your local ford dealer (or online) as a motorcraft switch may still be available. I bought one last year. Yes, they are more pricey than the china knock off at your local parts place but it'll last much longer. GT's take a different switch from the LX as they have the fog light provision.
    The original "4-eye" is a 1969 Mach-1
    Raleigh, NC

caissiel

I have never driven in the dark with my new switch and the other night I was on my way from the beach in the dark and my lights shut off on high beam. Its a new switch that I installed from Advance. There is going to be 2 relays installed for sure soon