Close

Default Found an unknown car.

I found another car that looks like it could either be a PaceCar or an '80/81 Cobra.
    I know the Pacecars were Black and Silver, but this car is all Black on the outside. Could have been a repaint though...
    I only had a second to look at it, because it was sitting in the corner of someone's yard and I didnt want to snoop around too much.
    (I was told it was for sale thats why I stopped initially). Anyway to the good stuff...

It has the Pacecar/Cobra/'82 GT front nose piece and lower ground effects, yet it has the bolt on cowl hood scoop like the Pacecar's and Cobra's..
    Has the 3 piece rear spoiler as well.

But the thing that has me thinking that it may have been a repainted Pacecar is that the inside door handles are on the lower door. As far as I ever known, this was a '79 only thing.
    Perhaps it could be an early 1980 Cobra? This is what has me stumped, so if anyone has an idea about this please post.

It has black interior, Recaro seats that have some kind of White in the center, might be a hounds tooth? Not sure I didnt get a good look and it was getting dark.

The engine code is an "F" which leads me to believe it has a 302 in it.

There are no decals or anything on the car, but i didnt have time to really look to see if there was evidence that they were there.

The car has been there well over 10 years because a tree is growing under the front end and out of the center opening of the lower front ground effect. The tree is bigger than my forearm and I'd say about 15-20 feet high.

I'm going to stop back and look at it a little better and hopefully rescue this diamond in the rough.

Any tips or clues that you guys can give me to look for would be very much welcome. I'd like to be able to open the door and hood to look at the codes and buck tag.

One more question, Would it have "Cobra" stamped on the buck tag? For some reason I remember seeing a buck tag that was stamped as such.

This post is gettin long so I'll submit it for now, but i'll check back.
    Thanks for any and all help
    -Joe

One other thing of importance is that this car does not have the Cobra emblems on the dash board, or the door panels...
    That and the inside door handle being on the lower door has me confused.

Also it's an automatic car.

Lower inner door handle was in '79 and early '80.

If you looking at the correct F, it is a 302, which means it could not be an '80 or an '81. I say the "correct" F because the Dearborn Assembly plant code is also F. The assembly plant code is the second character in the VIN and the engine code is the fifth character in the VIN.

Of course if you're looking at the VIN, you would know instantly if it is a (replica) Pace Car.....all PCs, and only PCs, have a consecutive unit number/production sequence number (last six of the VIN) beginning with "48".

The Cobra Package is not indicated in the VIN. You would have to look for "CBR" on the Body/Buck Tag. If it is a PC, there would be "500" on the B/B Tag. The B/B Tag will also have a code for or lack of a 'hood scoop', so you would know if somebody added it or not.

There are only four possible VINs for PCs...

9F03F48----
    9F03W48----
    9R03F48----
    9R03W48----

Same for the '79 Cobra except the no "48".

The "F" engine (5.0L) was available with an auto or a manual. The "W" engine (2.3T) was only available with a manual.

Both the PC and the Cobra package were available only with the 2.3T engine (standard equipment) or the 5.0L engine (optional).

The Cobra would have "Cobra" badges on the interior indicating such a package.

Nothing on the Vehicle Certification Label (door sticker/tag) will indicate PC or Cobra.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-08-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I take that back on the VC Label...

The PC's EXTERIOR PAINT COLORS code is "1E" (Pewter). Only the PC was available in 1E in '79.

Most Cobras have two color codes, with the second one being "1C" (Black lower tu-tone), something that was not available on the PC. The B/B Tag will also have a "TT" code for tu-tone.

I looked at it today again and got a VIN#
    9F03F481XXX

I was looking at the engine code (F)

On the buck tag the body code is 61R if that means anything? Might just mean 'hatchback' I cant remember.

Once again no one answered the door so I could ask about it.
    I saw that the dash panels have a brushed finish in the plastic like the Cobra's had. Do the pacecars have this as well?

Anyway that's all the clues I have so far, but Im gonna check back because I want to buy this car.
    The last registration on the car was 1994 according to the liscense plate, so it has been sitting a while.

Thanks for the help.
    Hope that VIN helps. If you want the last 3 digits of the consecutive unit # pm me. I didnt wanna post the whole thing until I see if the car is for sale.

Thanks alot

I did see a "500" on the buck tag! It jumped out at me, but I dont know much about the decoding of the buck tags so I didnt want to jump to conclusions.
    According to your info on the VIN#, this must have been a PC, but it was obviously repainted. And that would account for the missing "Cobra" emblems. (Thinking it could be a Cobra).

Edit: also there's no TRX wheels, it's sitting on the factory steel wheels.
    It sucks that I can't open the door or the hood, and there's not many clues externally.
    Seems to me that it's a Pacecar though.

The passenger side rocker and front lower quarter is rotted through. The rest of the car seems ok. Not sure how the underside is because the tires are flat and it's sunk into the ground a few inches.

This car would be worth restoring, or atleast grabbing up for now until I decide whether is cost effective or not.
    Last edited by TheBossIsBack; 08-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.

It's a PC. The "48xxxx" in the VIN and the "500" on the B/B Tag nails it.

Yes, the PC and Cobra both had the "engine turned" dash bezels.

The "61R" on the B/B Tag - it's also on the VC Label - just mean three-door hatchback.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-09-2009 at 01:00 AM.

I wish I had some pictures to post of it. It's in rough shape but it's complete, which is a plus.
    Can't wait to talk to the owners to see if it's for sale. I'd really like to drag it home and rescue it from where it's at.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

I took some pics and I'll try to get them up soon. I found another Pacecar about 5 miles from this one! It's a piece together from 3 cars, but it appears to be complete including the TRX wheels.
    I also found an 83 GT Turbo but its not for sale at the moment. It's sitting outside in the weeds. It's a T-top 5 speed car. Maroon on maroon. Might be called Dark Canyon Red.

Please get me all of the info on the Turbo GT....VIN, B/B Tag, door tag, ext/int colors, options, mileage, pics Doesn't matter that it's not for sale, that's not what I'm interested in. I'm trying to keep track of as many Turbo GTs and Turbo RSes that i can find.

Not a problem, but it might be a week or so until I get out that way to see the car.

Last edited by TheBossIsBack; 08-11-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBossIsBack View Post
    I also found an 83 GT Turbo but its not for sale at the moment. It's sitting outside in the weeds. It's a T-top 5 speed car. Maroon on maroon. Might be called Dark Canyon Red.
    I would love to see this one myself. Sounds like an exact copy of mine, but with T-Tops.
    83 GT Turbo

Im gonna try to get pics and the VIN/bucktag info to post, but then again I'll have to be sly about it cause I dont want the owner to catch on to the rarity, otherwise the price might go out of reach and I wont get the chance to purchase and restore it.
    I cant recall seeing another 83 GT Turbo in person before, so I got pretty excited when I saw this. I'm not a big fan of T-top cars, but this one is kinda cool.
    It has a 302/C4 in it now, which definitely detracts from the value.
    It also has an aftermarket Ford Motorsport front lower air dam on it. They were an aftermarket item avail from Ford Motorsport in the mid to late 80's/early 90's.

Very unusual hood ornament! That thing has been sitting awhile.

Yes it has and that makes me want it even more! I saw evidence of Silver paint under the rear window trim, which is kinda cool.

The last registration was 1994, so that tree was probably just waiting for something to grab onto. It's growing from underneath the car and then it curves and comes up and out of the front air dam as you can see.
    Thats a pitiful sight aint it?

Very sad. Stupid trees! If it aint through the grill, its the shifter hole!

86 50CPRI

If the wheels have sunk into the ground,good luck with the floor boards!

86 50CPRI

Nice find though! Whats the knob on the dash next to the heater controls?

You have got to save it. I'm also curious as to the knob by the heater controls it looks like a boost timing retard, that would be cool if it had a big a$$ vortech on it.
    I need a new Project???????
    1991 GT Conv Bright Red Single turbo

I saw that knob as well, but I couldnt make out what it was for. Im assuming its for the fog lights or maybe for the choke?

I left my phone number with the owner so he can contact me if he decides to sell it.
    I got the old "My son will be driving next year, so we are going to fix it" Even though it's been sitting for 14 years and when I knocked you were on the couch watching sports center!
    That car is never going to run in time for the kid to graduate college.

So I guess I'll have to stop back periodically to call his bluff and hopefully strong arm him. LOL

Id love to haul that car home, you have no idea. Well yeah you guys do know.

Yeah every car sitting rotting is waiting on a full blown restoration, these are the same people that got excited about the cash for clunkers, and rushed down to the dealership with the t-top notch to trade it in on a honda civic because it was the right thing to do. Keep us posted!!!!
    I need a new Project???????
    1991 GT Conv Bright Red Single turbo