Close

Thread: fiberglass dash

Banned

Default fiberglass dash

I just wanted to share a few pics. VFN sells these. I picked it up for my 82 GT. weighs four pounds complete and will still have that classic fox look.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Is there a projected weight savings? Os it it just for looks?

allenpul

hmmmm

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Is there a projected weight savings? Os it it just for looks?

I figure over the stock dash Ill save around 50 pounds. The car has a 12 point cage and will be much easier to install as well.

FEP Senior Member

really cool to know that's available.lightweight pace car race car with factory looking dash...sounds like a good option for racers looking to keep stock appearance.

The factory dash, with the wire harness removed, and the unneeded metal bracing removed (for a race car where rattles don't matter) it feather light. Jixxer6 and I stripped one and modified the factory mount so it still mounted in the factory screw holes on the left and right and you could seriously lift it with your pinky finger. And you could still have a working glove box. It was pretty flimsy, though, so I wouldn't recommend it in a DD.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason_5 View Post
    The factory dash, with the wire harness removed, and the unneeded metal bracing removed (for a race car where rattles don't matter) it feather light. Jixxer6 and I stripped one and modified the factory mount so it still mounted in the factory screw holes on the left and right and you could seriously lift it with your pinky finger. And you could still have a working glove box. It was pretty flimsy, though, so I wouldn't recommend it in a DD.
    Yea, the wiring harness accounts for 95% of the weight of the dash. I have three aero dashes. The one with the harness is a pain to move around. the others you can toss around with one hand.

One of the two without the wiring has the metal frame, and it really doesn't weigh much different in the hand than the one without the metal frame. I can't see it being much different with 4I dashes.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

I've had the dash out of my 83 more times then I care to remember, pulled it out to sandblast, back out to replace heater core, back out to paint, rerun wires, etc. I can't see the whole thing weighing more then 50#, so its hard to believe there would be that much weight savings. Is nice to know they make an aftermarket dash, to replace one that is trashed though.
    306 roller motor, alum heads 2.02/1.60, eagle forged rods, srp forged flat tops,Comp cam, Eddy air gap, Eddy 800 thunder series, BBK equal shorties, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce aluminum flywheel and dual friction clutch, aluminum driveshaft, 8.8 w/3.55 gears, etc.

http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww337/83snake/

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstang View Post
    I figure over the stock dash Ill save around 50 pounds. The car has a 12 point cage and will be much easier to install as well.
    Ummm...no.

The Stock dash is no more than 4lbs or less.

Swapping dash hulls is not the weight savings. Removing any wiring/components/brackets you don't need might save you the weight. You can do that with the stock dash.

-Mike

What it will save is a few pounds due to the dash pad not being needed anymore. I'll give you that. Dash pad is maybe 3-4 lbs?

-Mike

allenpul

When speed it the ultimate goal then every oz counts.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Ummm...no.

The Stock dash is no more than 4lbs or less.

Swapping dash hulls is not the weight savings. Removing any wiring/components/brackets you don't need might save you the weight. You can do that with the stock dash.

-Mike
    I was guessing the weight between the glass dash vs factory dash with everything under it- framing, wires, hvac. Didnt mean to start WW3 by saying a factory dash on its own weighs 54 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    What it will save is a few pounds due to the dash pad not being needed anymore. I'll give you that. Dash pad is maybe 3-4 lbs?

-Mike
    I've seen a lot of variance between weights of dash pads. I don't know if it's aftermarket vs. factory, or new vs. old and dried out, but I've held some that actually feel heavy to me, and some feel almost paper light. Just something strange I've noticed.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstang View Post
    I just wanted to share a few pics. VFN sells these. I picked it up for my 82 GT. weighs four pounds complete and will still have that classic fox look.
    Very old thread but how does this dash fit ? Did it require a lot of work to install inplace of factory dash ?

Hate to resurrect such an old post but looking for more information on this dash hull. I just did a heater core on my project and the top of my dash hull is really bad. The speakers are not really even secure at this point. Any idea how much of the stock stuff I could keep with this? It looks like I would not have a dash pad to cover the speakers.

I just went to the VFN website, the dash is still listed, you might want to call them
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White