Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I cleanede out my local u-pull-it...got 300 injectors for 1 dollar each

Quote Originally Posted by scguy64 View Post
    I cleanede out my local u-pull-it...got 300 injectors for 1 dollar each
    WOW! That's 37.5 fuel injectors per cylinder! I think you would need a MAF about 3 feet in diameter!
    Tony

1984 SVO 1C
    1988 5.0 Coupe 9L
    1990 2.3 Turbo Coupe 9L
    1996 Mark VIII
    2009 Fusion SEL V6

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    The ecu harness does not need to be spliced into the dash harness.
    The ecu harness goes into the firewall on the passenger side. The only wire that might need to go to the dash would be the engine light if you wanted.
    There are a few wires in the main EFI harness that tie into the existing harness near the brake booster

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason_5 View Post
    Also, the car has a fender mount voltage regulator, but the donor car will have an alternator with the built in regulator.
    You can use the original alternator with the fender mounted regulator. It will bolt up fine.

I vote for EFI. If you have the skill swap a motor, the rest of the swap should be within your reach
    Last edited by CapriGT; 08-02-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

My big question is what would be best cam for BBK SSI intake.....GT40 heads and cobra 1.7 rockers..BBK full length with offroad x-pipe...8.8 with 3.73

You could use all the accessory brackets off the donor car and run the serpentine system.
    Oddly though, I had an 87 rollor motor out of a fox, and it still had a fuel pump eccentrv, as well as my 86 motor
    1983 GLX vert
    88 roller motor
    Intake/Exhaust/Underdrives/Turbocoupe t5
    13.79 @ 96.29 1.86 60'

1986 Mustang Gt
    95 longblock w/smog bumps removed/TFS1 cam/Explorer intake/Hedman Long tubes/Mac catback 252hp/311tq
    13.05@102.55

If you have a complete donor car SEFI all the way! Its not that bad a job, if you can score an EVTM manual the wiring diagrams are very simple. The wire splices are straight forward, only a few. The ECM gets constant power from the starter solenoid with a fusable link and key on power from the IGN switch.
    1985 LTD
    1986 GT
    1989 LX Hatch Road race
    1991 LX Convt Street Killer
    2002 150 SuperCrew FX4
    2008 EDGE
    1969 WHEEL HORSE
    Stock Sucks
    F#*k the Factory
    I didn't build it for you

Quote Originally Posted by denshem View Post
    If you have a complete donor car SEFI all the way! Its not that bad a job, if you can score an EVTM manual the wiring diagrams are very simple. The wire splices are straight forward, only a few. The ECM gets constant power from the starter solenoid with a fusable link and key on power from the IGN switch.
    Thanks to all the advice and suggestions from everyone! I am definately leaning, and probably will go with the EFI on the 81.
    I do have a couple of questions......

1st In one of the earlier posts, U S Marine stated that I should be aware that my 88 is a "speed density" engine. What does that mean and what affect will it have on my swap?

2nd What is an EVTM manual and where can I find one?

Thanks again for all the replies! I can't wait to get this project underway.
    1981 Ford Mustang Cobra:
    302 High Output with AOD tranny
    My first car/project/toy

1998 Ford F150
    V6, 5 Speed, Regular Cab, SWB
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by TimS532 View Post
    1st In one of the earlier posts, U S Marine stated that I should be aware that my 88 is a "speed density" engine. What does that mean and what affect will it have on my swap?
    read http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=4

2nd What is an EVTM manual and where can I find one?
    Ford service manual on the Electrical and Vacuum systems of a particular year car such as this one.

86 50CPRI

Speed Density is the method that the EEC uses to determine how much fuel to inject into the engine.There are several inputs the EEC uses to make a calculation of air flowto determine fuel needs.Mass Air Systems essentially use 1 input--a mass air flow sensor to know what the fuel needs would be.Granted,this is a much simplified explanation,as the mass air cars still have all the other sensors,but you get the idea.

Benefits of the Mass air system are that it is more tolerant of basic engine component changes,like camshafts,exhaust, air intakes,cylinder heads,etc...because it is measuring air mass. Speed Density systems do not like these changes,as the factors in the calculations get skewed,thus the end results are not optimized,and the car can run like poo.

As stated ,the EVTM is Fords factory wiring diagram manual. Not available new any longer for our four eye vehicles,the best bet is EBAY. I found mine there,for $14.00 SHIPPED!!!!(It was titled incorrectly,and had only 1 or 2 bidders)

I,too, vote for the Fuel Injection conversion.Good Luck!

I found an original 81 Mustang/Capri EVTM manual on e-bay for $13.41 shipped. I should have it by 8/21!
    Now for the next question,....What is the best manual/literature/information source that will identify everything I need to remove from the 88 for the swap? Illustrations, pics and detailed information such as location of items to be removed and "tricks and tips" will be a great help since this is my first attempt at this type of swap(putting efi into a carb'd vehicle)
    1981 Ford Mustang Cobra:
    My first car/project/toy

1998 Ford F150
    Daily Driver

86 50CPRI

With all the diagrams that the prior links go to,there is a pretty comprehensive collection of EEC wiring diagrams,otherwise I would have recommended one for the 88 as well.But I think you could easily get by without it.

I would suggest ALOT of research now.Check all those links and read,read,read. There is also a book available,I forget the title,but it is all about Ford Fuel Injection. Study alot of the build threads,where the engine is involved,and try to identify the parts you see. Soon,everything will seem familiar to you.

What is the best manual/literature/information source that will identify everything I need to remove from the 88 for the swap? Illustrations, pics and detailed information such as location of items to be removed and "tricks and tips" will be a great help since this is my first attempt at this type of swap(putting efi into a carb'd vehicle)
    Hunt on ebay and other car forums for the Factory Service manuals for the '88 Mustang. You should get the Powertrain book and the Electrical/Chassis book.

Mustangs Unlimited offers new EVTM's, a little steep at 49.95 and the pickens are getting slim. I went to my local Ford dealer and the service writer dug up a few and gave them to me.
    1985 LTD
    1986 GT
    1989 LX Hatch Road race
    2002 150 SuperCrew FX4
    2008 EDGE
    1969 WHEEL HORSE
    Stock Sucks
    F#*k the Factory

[QUOTE=TimS532;849614]I found an original 81 Mustang/Capri EVTM manual on e-bay for $13.41 shipped. I should have it by 8/21!

get one for the year of the donor vehicle
    1985 LTD
    1986 GT
    1989 LX Hatch Road race
    2002 150 SuperCrew FX4
    2008 EDGE
    1969 WHEEL HORSE
    Stock Sucks
    F#*k the Factory

ttt no i have not, will I need it, we have changed our mind and we are thinking of swaping it to carb
    1981 Ford Mustang Cobra:
    My first car/project/toy

1998 Ford F150
    Daily Driver

I just swapped a 79 inline 6 to a carb 5.0 roller, i have a EFI turbo street/race car and know both carb and efi very well and i agree with just about all of the opinions on this thread i agree efi is easy and i agree a carb is easy now heres my ?? to you
    If you like wiring go EFI its a little overwhelming when you get stated its easier if the dash and motor are out of the car which the motor is so thats a plus and with the donor car its almost a no brainer swap everything has a place just switch it over but it is time consuming
    If you like timing lights and jetting go with carb,carbs are a easy swap and they perform just as good as efi if tuned right, yes efi has its advantages but carbs run just fine i drive mine 500 miles a week with no problem and get right at 20 miles to the gallon anyway choice is yours but the bottom line is which one you feel comfortable doing because we all agree we want the 81 Cobra back on the road!!!!! Good luck and have fun
    Last edited by biscwgn; 08-16-2009 at 01:19 AM.
    I need a new Project???????
    1991 GT Conv Bright Red Single turbo

Well me and my dad took the 88 to one of our friends that is going to drop the engine in the 81. So far we told him to go ahead and swap it to carb. My dad's taking my intake to his work to bead blast it and then takin it to the guy
    1981 Ford Mustang Cobra:
    My first car/project/toy

1998 Ford F150
    Daily Driver

New User

What will you be using for an ignition?

I have used D.U.I distributors in the past with great results. Its basically a HEI style with a 2 wire hook up , Power and Tach.
    1985 LTD
    1986 GT
    1989 LX Hatch Road race
    2002 150 SuperCrew FX4
    2008 EDGE
    1969 WHEEL HORSE
    Stock Sucks
    F#*k the Factory

The '81 chassis is already wired for a perfectly good ignition system. A junkyard
    Motorcraft blue grommet module will do everything that DUI can, and you won't
    have to look at that hideous HEI monster every time you open your hood...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    The '81 chassis is already wired for a perfectly good ignition system. A junkyard
    Motorcraft blue grommet module will do everything that DUI can, and you won't
    have to look at that hideous HEI monster every time you open your hood...
    Although, if one doesn't like the size of the large Duraspark ignition module a GM HEI module can be easily adapted to work with the Duraspark distributor.

I was never fond of having the coil mounted in the distributor cap or engine - I thought it would get less vibration mounted on the fender apron...

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Although, if one doesn't like the size of the large Duraspark ignition module a GM HEI module can be easily adapted to work with the Duraspark distributor.
    Yes, but then, you need to mount that HEI module to a heat sink, and once you
    do that, it's not gonna be that much smaller, if at all.

Plus there's the whole bit about modifying wiring that doesn't need to be modified.
    The HEI module isn't any better than the factory Duraspark box, so why modify
    stuff?
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I got the original distributor with the 81 (which was from the original 255) and was told that I can take the gear from the 88 distributor and install it on the 81 distributor and it will work. That is the plan so far....any thoughts? Am I going in the right direction or have I been mis-informed? I am also planning on installing an inline electric fuel pump instead of changing out the timing cover and adding a fuel pump eccentry. I really wanted to go EFI and may change it over to that at a later date, it just seemed like going with the carb set-up was much simpler, and since we are having to pay for the labor on the swap, it will be more cost efficient as well.
    1981 Ford Mustang Cobra:
    My first car/project/toy

1998 Ford F150
    Daily Driver

I got the original distributor with the 81 (which was from the original 255) and was told that I can take the gear from the 88 distributor and install it on the 81 distributor and it will work. That is the plan so far....any thoughts?
    Yup. That should work. Steel gear for the roller cam. Iron for non-roller.

Am I going in the right direction or have I been mis-informed? I am also planning on installing an inline electric fuel pump instead of changing out the timing cover and adding a fuel pump eccentry.
    Just get a good electric fuel pump and regulator and make sure your fuel pressure is set correctly. Keep in mind that carb fuel pressure is a TON lower than EFI, so if you do switch to EFI in the future, you'll likely still need a different fuel pump and regulator.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast