Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
    Well, I just installed the Contour fans on my car. 3-row radiator, fits almost perfect...maybe an inch left on top and bottom and perfect width. It seems to cool it with little effort (as in 60% on a Flex A lite variable speed) and it pulls just over 20 amps on 100%. I'm in the middle of testing the FAL unit and I have the DCC unit on my bench to try next. Yes, there will be an article about it.

I've read of guys using the Taurus, Mark VIII, and Contour fans with good success. Never heard of anyone using a Focus fan.
    i just got a contour fan it looks better of a fit than the taurus, but i need to know what wires are what...its from a 97 24v contour. i just want to wire it direct for now
    86 w/87 motor,full cage, gutted interior,5 lug, H&R front springs, SVO A arms, jeggster subframe connectors, driveshaft loop, 2007 mustang bullitts, 25th anniversary dash, 87+ qrtrs....
    96 honda civic 4 door
    01 suzuki sv650s v twin crotchrocket

Quote Originally Posted by 82mustang View Post
    Thats what i run, works great.. if you still need one by the BBQ i think i have a spare, LMK by PM beforehand
    the clutch fan was toast, thanks. you solved my prob mark!!! now i just need to find out what wires are what on this contour fan.
    86 w/87 motor,full cage, gutted interior,5 lug, H&R front springs, SVO A arms, jeggster subframe connectors, driveshaft loop, 2007 mustang bullitts, 25th anniversary dash, 87+ qrtrs....
    96 honda civic 4 door

theres nearly no info on this fan on the net. i didnt ever find a wiring diagram but i found a few really vague how to things on mustang forums. and its true what they say . this thing is nearly a drop in fan! im so glad i didnt mess with the taurus one! this is said to flow more and draw like 20amps at full tilt.
    i got it for $14 at pull a part.most cars had no fan, this was the only one.. from what i see it has to be a 97 year countor. with a v6 duratec 24v motor.
    heres pics so far. im goning to get a controlled for it soon.
    i have my relay all wired in so it can be controled by a switch and later the control unit.the info i was looking for was on the polarity and the resistor unit mounted in the shroud

96 honda civic 4 door

You suck!! I paid 50 for mine, but we don't have u-pull-it yards around here (don't get me started on that).

You just need to bypass that low/high speed module on the corner, which it looks like you've done. Find the hi-speed wire...it's the 10-gauge green/blue wire. The ground is (obviously) the black with ring terminal.

Congrats, that's a sweet deal on a good fan. I don't think it flows quite as much as a Taurus, but nobody has any solid cfm number for it yet. A guy on Fordmuscle says it cools his 347 fine, though. When I was playing with mine on an amp gauge, it ran steady at 20 amps or so on high.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Quote Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
    You suck!! I paid 50 for mine, but we don't have u-pull-it yards around here (don't get me started on that).

You just need to bypass that low/high speed module on the corner, which it looks like you've done. Find the hi-speed wire...it's the 10-gauge green/blue wire. The ground is (obviously) the black with ring terminal.

Congrats, that's a sweet deal on a good fan. I don't think it flows quite as much as a Taurus, but nobody has any solid cfm number for it yet. A guy on Fordmuscle says it cools his 347 fine, though. When I was playing with mine on an amp gauge, it ran steady at 20 amps or so on high.
    trust me it would have cost like $130 at any of the local greedy yards.
    so ive read it flows more than the taurus fan, but more imoprtantly it covers all of the radiator and fits almost perfect and looks alot nicer.it is insanely close to a stock fit. the taurus one isnt, i mocked em up at the yard before i bought it. im very glad you mentioned this fan!!!!!
    it flows some serious air too. so i think im good and it freed up a few ponies and made my engine look alot better with no more clutch fan!!!
    so im going to autozone to get my controller for $17. they have 2 one has no relay im getting that one since i already wired in my own and thats the reason the $35 one cost more. although it is set to come on when you use a/c and it controls 2 fans so maybe its more what i need. but ill try the cheaper one.
    96 honda civic 4 door

Glad you like it. The beauty is you can use the relay type controller and it doesn't have the spikes as bad as the Taurus/Mark fans. On a side note, have you had any problems with the fan cycling on/off too frequently? If you mount the probe in the radiator part that is covered by the shroud, the probe tends to cool too quickly and shut back off too soon, then back on when it gets too hot, etc. Meanwhile the temps slowly go up and up and up...

You get the idea.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

heres a pic of my mark 8 fan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    old set up e7 heads,victor 50 intake, bbk equal length, or bbk h-pipe, under drive crank pully, e-cam, mac cat back,3.73 gear, 76mm air meter, 75mm tb, bbk cai, 150 wet kit ..................11.56 @121, on motor 12.76 @ 105
    new motorput in on aug 8 2009 306 h prime rods, 236, 232 @ .50, 565,545 lift camotion cam. gt-40p heads, bbk equal length headers, bbk h-pipe, 75mm tb 76 mm air meter, under drive crank pully, mac cat back, 3.73 gear. 12.14 at 116 and 11.07 at 128 and need bar in the car

Hey Grtyskydog, I remember you put up a post just like this one a couple months back looking for what radiator to use. Im glad that contour setup worked for you. Cant wait to see your install thread!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you dont take."
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing right."

I doubt it will be much of an install detailed article. More of a comparison of the DCC and FAL variable speeds. If I can get my hands on a SPAL controller I'll throw it in the mix, too. Perfect time of year to test out fan controllers.

I'll post a link when I'm done.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

yea i got a torqflo controller $17 auto zone part number 733653. use it with a relay and its great. yes it has cycled a few times but not bad enough to install it in the hose like they say to.
    the mark fan looks perfect fit as well. thank god you guys spoke up about the contour fan!!
    right now i decided to move my battery to the trunk. and on a side note me new stant cap is crap! if i squeeze the lower radiator hose coolant comes out the over flow. picked up a stock cap off a cougar xr7 or what ever with a 5.0 no issues. stant seems to be no good these days.
    so now with the extra draw and 3g alt my crappy shcucks battery lead whent to crap so i figure its time to move the battery. i have a 5 gauge sub power wire already running to the trunk i was planing on adding a second since i have a 4gauge same length and run both to my power up front.im going to dig up some how tos since ive never read up on it before. but its getting done right now no matter.and then i can run a bigger battery .any battery i want. even 2 in paralell if i want,lol.
    96 honda civic 4 door

The Ram Charger/ Intrepid fans work too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12