Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default best junkyard electric fan? and control mudule?

im looking for a fan off a junkyard car that works the best. i know the obvious ones like taurus and the 2.3l one but its pretty obtrusive and long, maybe too long. i want it to run when it needs to not contantly running nor do i want a switch. i know some places like autozone have a mdule that you stick a sensor in the radiator fin and you can adjust it to turn the fan on at certain temp.
    now ive seen double fans on some ford cars i think they blow differant directions too, and ive seen big single fans. whats the deal here?i know some cars have a fan for a/c and a cooling fan. so im wondering what will work and fit the best and if any car has a control mudule or if theres a way to use stock parts to control the fan automatically
    86 w/87 motor,full cage, gutted interior,5 lug, H&R front springs, SVO A arms, jeggster subframe connectors, driveshaft loop, 2007 mustang bullitts, 25th anniversary dash, 87+ qrtrs....
    96 honda civic 4 door
    01 suzuki sv650s v twin crotchrocket

Friend of mine just picked up a elec. fan set up from an 96 Contour with a V6 - small twin low profile fans and shroud is close match to Fox Mustang rad. Has to be from a V6, 4 cyl are single fan. Said he saw info on internet somewhere and was going to give it a try, has the fans but not installed them yet.

Best fan would be from a 1988-1995 taraus or sable with a 3.8 in them also a lincoln continental with a 3.8 and the Mark 8 with the 4.6. Its dual speed and can flow as much as 4500 cfm on high. I hope this helps and my info may be a bit off on years but you get the idea. Buy one that is tested and has a garantee like I did, it was only like $30.
    Yep my **** is coming apart again... Isnt life great!

(My peeps!)
    http://www.sbftech.com/
    http://www.fordstrokers.com/index.php

Dual fan doesn't mean it will do the job. I tried running a Focus fan on my Capri. It didn't work out quite as I hoped. I had to run the fans on high and it still ran hotter than I liked. I had a concern whether the airflow through the radiator was being restricted due to shroud. I've replaced it with a Taurus fan and am much happier.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

+1 for the taurus fans, keeps my 351w cool on low speed. I run a cut rate auto parts(small chain store here) fan controller but autozone should have the same.. i'd buy the best one they have, cheaper ones are junk. Also a no go on the factory parts to control it, unless it came factory with an E-fan...
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Well, I just installed the Contour fans on my car. 3-row radiator, fits almost perfect...maybe an inch left on top and bottom and perfect width. It seems to cool it with little effort (as in 60% on a Flex A lite variable speed) and it pulls just over 20 amps on 100%. I'm in the middle of testing the FAL unit and I have the DCC unit on my bench to try next. Yes, there will be an article about it.

I've read of guys using the Taurus, Mark VIII, and Contour fans with good success. Never heard of anyone using a Focus fan.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Quote Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
    Well, I just installed the Contour fans on my car. 3-row radiator, fits almost perfect...maybe an inch left on top and bottom and perfect width. It seems to cool it with little effort (as in 60% on a Flex A lite variable speed) and it pulls just over 20 amps on 100%. I'm in the middle of testing the FAL unit and I have the DCC unit on my bench to try next. Yes, there will be an article about it.

I've read of guys using the Taurus, Mark VIII, and Contour fans with good success. Never heard of anyone using a Focus fan.
    i just got a contour fan it looks better of a fit than the taurus, but i need to know what wires are what...its from a 97 24v contour. i just want to wire it direct for now
    86 w/87 motor,full cage, gutted interior,5 lug, H&R front springs, SVO A arms, jeggster subframe connectors, driveshaft loop, 2007 mustang bullitts, 25th anniversary dash, 87+ qrtrs....
    96 honda civic 4 door

theres nearly no info on this fan on the net. i didnt ever find a wiring diagram but i found a few really vague how to things on mustang forums. and its true what they say . this thing is nearly a drop in fan! im so glad i didnt mess with the taurus one! this is said to flow more and draw like 20amps at full tilt.
    i got it for $14 at pull a part.most cars had no fan, this was the only one.. from what i see it has to be a 97 year countor. with a v6 duratec 24v motor.
    heres pics so far. im goning to get a controlled for it soon.
    i have my relay all wired in so it can be controled by a switch and later the control unit.the info i was looking for was on the polarity and the resistor unit mounted in the shroud

96 honda civic 4 door

You suck!! I paid 50 for mine, but we don't have u-pull-it yards around here (don't get me started on that).

You just need to bypass that low/high speed module on the corner, which it looks like you've done. Find the hi-speed wire...it's the 10-gauge green/blue wire. The ground is (obviously) the black with ring terminal.

Congrats, that's a sweet deal on a good fan. I don't think it flows quite as much as a Taurus, but nobody has any solid cfm number for it yet. A guy on Fordmuscle says it cools his 347 fine, though. When I was playing with mine on an amp gauge, it ran steady at 20 amps or so on high.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

I'm running a Taurus fan on mine. On high you can feel the air being pulled through the grill. only down side is that it draws so much power. I'm looking to get a new fan from Summit that draws less than 20amps and still flow 2000+ cfm.

Anyone try a Volvo fan? They have a low profile motor just not sure what they flow.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

FEP Super Member

Another vote for the Taurus fan. I'm using one, its a large single. It draws a lot of amps on the high setting, but I leave it on low. I just used a cheap Autozone relay to run power to it. It has no problem keeping the 351 cool.
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

im not trying to draw alot of amps, the thing is im trying to run cooler than stock. is there a option for a non clutch fan? or a better fan . i dont want a efan for power reasons. ill lose 5hp to keep the engine cooler. and just a quickie...wheres the sensor that reads the temp for the temp gauge?
    96 honda civic 4 door

sensor is on the lower intake somewhere.. why do you want to run cooler than stock? you realize EFI engines need to run at a certain temp right?(usually 190*) If you dont want an electric fan then use a stock clutch fan.. the little HP loss isn't that much compared to the cost savings and reliability.

Link to my car Pics:

Quote Originally Posted by 82mustang View Post
    sensor is on the lower intake somewhere.. why do you want to run cooler than stock? you realize EFI engines need to run at a certain temp right?(usually 190*) If you dont want an electric fan then use a stock clutch fan.. the little HP loss isn't that much compared to the cost savings and reliability.
    yea. i have some sort of issue or its just the hot weather. possibly my sensor or temp gauge isnt accurate. im boiling over out the over flow at a bout a quarter of the way from cold, so im not reading even half.lately this has been happening every hot day. a month ago my upper radiator house falayed its self open like a bomb whent off in it and since then it boils over on hot days but not on the freeway. never has it shown to be even half on my temp gauge. it does move as the car warms up from cold to the begining of normal.i sense something is wrong here. maybe my clutch fan is bad?maybe im overheating all the way and the gauge isnt reading right. i flushed my system after i blew the hose with prestone flush. i have alot of rustyness in the water. and yes now im running just water till i figure it out.it gets pretty hot under the hood but not like what ive seen when a 302 over heats and you smell abnormal smells. it did smell kinda gassy today when it boiled over and that worries me.i wanna run colder, not colder than stock, but colder to avoid this, but im sure i have a problem now and before i wasnt. maybe its my radiator?what do you guys think/suggest. i will look at taurus and countour fans at pull a part in the next day or 2.now is there a tarus single and double?
    96 honda civic 4 door

+1 for the Contour fan. Works like a charm so far...

FEP Senior Member

"and yes now im running just water till i figure it out." get a mixture of 20% antifreeze in there. with water boiling at 212 and a thermastat at 195, you need mixture. try water wetter from red line(i never noticed any difference) but you should not run pure water. you need anticorrosion etc, from using a mixture of anti.

and flush until the water is clear.. rust is probably clogging your radiator. does the fan spin easily with it fully warmed up and the engine off? it might have gone bad.. my toyota truck clutch fan did, i could spin it backwards easily with the engine running and overheating....the radiator being clogged with mud didn't help either, lol.. (all clean now, you might wanna buy a new cap too just because)

Link to my car Pics:

Quote Originally Posted by 82mustang View Post
    and flush until the water is clear.. rust is probably clogging your radiator. does the fan spin easily with it fully warmed up and the engine off? it might have gone bad.. my toyota truck clutch fan did, i could spin it backwards easily with the engine running and overheating....the radiator being clogged with mud didn't help either, lol.. (all clean now, you might wanna buy a new cap too just because)
    i did but it just clouds up my antifreeze till its brown murky. ive flushed it a few times, and again today with just water.ill check. so it should spin freely with engine off?whats warmed up have to do with it if the engines off?clutch heated up?
    i bought a new 17psi stant cap a few weeks ago. ill check the fan tomorrow, is it supposed to spin freely ever? i know it spins when the motor runs, but not if it spins right. never had a issue with one before so im ignorant as far as what to look for wrong with it
    96 honda civic 4 door

100% water is part of the reason you keep boiling over. Keep flushing that badboy...sounds like you still have some gunk in there. What he was saying about testing your fan clutch is, get the engine up to operating temp, then shut it off. The stock clutch is thermal, so when it gets hot it should grab. It should be pretty difficult to manually spin the fan with the clutch hot. If it spins pretty easy, the clutch is done. SO, spin it cold with you finger, then get it hot and spin it again...there should be a notable difference. Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any and all medical bills related to doing this with the engine running.

The Taurus fan is a single, the Mark VIII is also single. The Contour fan is dual. If you're yard-hopping, the Contour 4 cyl came with a single fan...you want the 95-00 dual fan v6 Contour/Mystique or 99-02 Cougar. The Taurus also came with a weaker fan...you want the one for the 3.8L.
    Last edited by grtskydog; 07-31-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Also, if you want to waste an evening researching electric fans, go to eBay and find AEON-IMPORTS-- go to their store. They have the blueprints for a BUNCH of electric fans. I found 4 different OE electric fans that will fit my 2.3 Ranger's radiator (18x18"). Now that I know the dimensions and type, I can go to the yard and know what to ask for.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

The "best" fan hands down is the mark viii fan...it pulls the most air and covers more of the radiator than the taurus fan
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    The "best" fan hands down is the mark viii fan...it pulls the most air and covers more of the radiator than the taurus fan

I read somewhere that the '97 T-bird fans were almost exactly the same as the Mark VIII fans, but had a more reliable electric motor. I believe the T-bird fans are the ones that the owner of DCC Controls use to sell instead of the Mark VIII fans.

97 T-bird fan:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...ayphotohosting
    Last edited by 854vragtop; 07-31-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 854vragtop View Post

That's the guys I was talking about on eBay. Comes with warranty and free shipping and a fraction of the cost of aftermarket "monster fans." Still cheaper in the yards...but not new.
    Last edited by grtskydog; 07-31-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

I read somewhere that the '97 T-bird fans were almost exactly the same as the Mark VIII fans, but had a more reliable electric motor. I believe the T-bird fans are the ones that the owner of DCC Controls use to sell instead of the Mark VIII fans.

97 T-bird fan:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...ayphotohosting

More reliable than a Mark VIII fan motor????

I wouldn't put too much stock in that line of BS. The original fan on my '93 Mark VIII had about 190,000 miles on it when I replaced it. The '98 has 137,000 with the original fan. I would not call either of these cars unreliable.

Thats what i run, works great.. if you still need one by the BBQ i think i have a spare, LMK by PM beforehand

Link to my car Pics:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast