Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Advertise it better, sell it to an enthusiast who will fix it up

15 45.45%
  • Take off the SVO bits, sell them so that other s may live

13 39.39%
  • Drop in a 302 drivetrain and make it drivable to sell it easier

5 15.15%
  • Just leave it. But it will probably be bought to thrash via 302 conversion anyways.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mossybull View Post
    how come there is no "restore it" choice in the poll?that is what i would hope to have happen.beautiful starting point in my opinion.
    x2 it does look like a good starting point.

Thats why I haven't voted
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

I think it should be restored as time and money allow. This would be a nice long term project to do right or as close as your taste would allow!! Buy it, save it, bring it back to its former glory, it deserves it!!
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    Well I definitely recognize this one from a month or two ago on SVOCA. I think it had a 2.3T in it at that time.

This one looks like it has already been picked over so it definitely needs to be saved. It is straight and relatively rust free so it should be a fairly easy fix. It may take a while but it is worth it IMO.

EDIT: I just went back and checked the SVOCA classifieds and it has already rolled off and the add is gone.
    Yeah, I went back and looked as well. Its been for sale for a while and the price has dropped enough for many(including myself) to get interested. I'm keeping the amount private.

First off...Its been advertised for a few months now so the die hard SVO people had their opportunity to "do the right thing", but they obviously didn't feel it was financially viable either. Its easy to spend other peoples money and tell other people exactly what to do over the internet. People can talk the talk but obviously dont walk the walk.

Since restoring my present SVO I know full well the prices of each and every part. Finding them is another story. Its all well and good saying I should restore the car, but if the car will only be worth $3k when done and takes $5-6K to restore. What sense does that make? Restoring one from a state such as this is way different than buying one complete.

I think the best answer is to buy it, then sell it to someone with a parts donor car. That's the only way a project of this type will be financially viable. I already have one SVO and its not fully restored yet. I can only afford to restore one but I'd still like to see this one saved. Securing it makes the most sense at the present time.

Installing a turbo coupe harness and engine is quite a bad idea towards a SVO restoration. It will get it going with an EFI 2.3t but its a hack job.

This car has had much interest on local forums as a basic fox body shell. Several wanting to make it into a drag car with no concern for its originality or pedigree. So those saying "just leave it" will certainly doom it to an unfortunate fate.
    Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 07-28-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I think the best answer is to buy it, then sell it to someone with a parts donor car. That's the only way a project of this type will be financially viable. I already have one SVO and its not fully restored yet. I can only afford to restore one but I'd still like to see this one saved. Securing it makes the most sense at the present time.
    And I couldn't agree more!
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

New User

I have heard of this car , just based on a casual conversation during a cruise night I would check its authenticity before anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    First off...Its been advertised for a few months now so the die hard SVO people had their opportunity to "do the right thing", but they obviously didn't feel it was financially viable either. Its easy to spend other peoples money and tell other people exactly what to do over the internet. People can talk the talk but obviously dont walk the walk.
    I don't want to start yet another urinating contest on this topic but I have to say I feel a little insulted by this remark. I have, as well as many other "die hard SVO people", done the right thing and purchased SVOs in order to save them. Quite often paying more than they are worth and then re-selling them later at a loss.

There is a member here who has about 50 SVOs in his collection that he has saved. He doesn't brag about it and does it because he understands that the SVO population keeps shrinking everyday.

He is even storing my 86 T-top SVO, which is a barely running failed project by the previous owner, at his garage in another state. I haven't even seen it in person yet and bought it by only the pictures the seller provided. I had to pay to get it shipped and it will take even more money to get it running. Then there are some minor rust issues that need to be repaired and then possibly a paint job. When I do sell it someday I'm sure it will be another loss for me financially.

I have even had people tell me that I'm hoarding too many and I only have seven at this time. And while my first Capri purchase is in the works I'm also having to resort to storing it at a friends house since I don't have any more room at mine.

Then I shouldn't have to say that times are tough financially for a lot of people. If I had a big garage I probably would have bought this one too along with several other REALLY nice SVOs that I've had to pass on in the last year or so.

I guess I'm just rambling now but this one needs a good home. I can't buy them all...

Please don't take this the wrong way and I mean no ill will. I just felt it needed to be said that is all.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Super Member

As I stated earlier....I have a shed with most of the parts to fix it, and we have an auto auction coming up in which a hit and rusty 88TC is in (it runs)..........I have the means to fix this car.......and I am NOT kidding about letting me know what the seller wants for it (or you if you get it).
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

Please don't take this the wrong way and I mean no ill will. I just felt it needed to be said that is all.
    I understand. There are usually a select few who try and uphold the moral high ground. You cant save them all.

But in this instance, the first sentence of Ken P's last quote capture of mine still holds true. Not saying they wouldn't if they could. But no one has stepped up to the plate.

There are different types of enthusiasts who have bought cars strictly to preserve them. My GT should have been written off because of the rust. Instead I chose to invest the time, effort, and money in it to bring it back. My 85 SVO was nearly as bad as this black 86 but it had a few more things going for it. My Mach 1 wasn't too bad but I have invested almost 15 years in it. My 82 F-250 was a major restoration. I restored a 69 Mustang coupe which I needed to sell for personal reasons. Now I have a 1966 F-100 shortbed project that I'll be starting in a few weeks. Heaven knows I don't need another project.

I've gone down this road quite a few times. I know the ins and outs. I really didn't want to buy this car to restore(I don't really have the money or time to spare and I certainly don't have the room) but if I don't take action, nothing good will come of it. I don't like flipping cars that I didn't intend to fix up/keep, hence my personal dilemma in this instance.
    Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 07-28-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Ummm...maybe I missed it in a post somewhere but has anyone checked the VIN to make sure that's not just an SVO nose on an Aero era body? If it's a real SVO then yes, I would say buy it and flip it to an SVO enthusiast with the time and money to rebuild it...it's a great candidate for a mild resto-mod!

Oh...and I'm not sure about the States...but there are NO SVO's up here that sell for 3K...finding one that cheap that's not a rust bucket would be a miracle!!!
    *PRESENT*
    1985 GT *Needs HealthCare*
    1984 Anny *Undergoing Full Resto*
    1979 Pacecar *Sold*
    1983 GLX Vert 5.0 *Back On The Road After 10 Years!*

Quote Originally Posted by bbcjay View Post
    Ummm...maybe I missed it in a post somewhere but has anyone checked the VIN to make sure that's not just an SVO nose on an Aero era body? If it's a real SVO then yes, I would say buy it and flip it to an SVO enthusiast with the time and money to rebuild it...it's a great candidate for a mild resto-mod!

Oh...and I'm not sure about the States...but there are NO SVO's up here that sell for 3K...finding one that cheap that's not a rust bucket would be a miracle!!!
    Yes it is a real SVO.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    I understand. There are usually a select few who try and uphold the moral high ground. You cant save them all.

But in this instance, the first sentence of Ken P's last quote capture of mine still holds true. Not saying they wouldn't if they could. But no one has stepped up to the plate.

There are different types of enthusiasts who have bought cars strictly to preserve them. My GT should have been written off because of the rust. Instead I chose to invest the time, effort, and money in it to bring it back. My 85 SVO was nearly as bad as this black 86 but it had a few more things going for it. My Mach 1 wasn't too bad but I have invested almost 15 years in it. My 82 F-250 was a major restoration. I restored a 69 Mustang coupe which I needed to sell for personal reasons. Now I have a 1966 F-100 shortbed project that I'll be starting in a few weeks. Heaven knows I don't need another project.

I've gone down this road quite a few times. I know the ins and outs. I really didn't want to buy this car to restore(I don't really have the money or time to spare and I certainly don't have the room) but if I don't take action, nothing good will come of it. I don't like flipping cars that I didn't intend to fix up/keep, hence my personal dilemma in this instance.
    ...I got my lottery ticket for tonight! HAHA
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Hate to say it it would take a lot time and money to bring it back to its glory but could be done. I hate butchers

FEP Super Member

For the third time...........what does the guy want for it? If yoare not going to get it, then open it up to those who either will or have others lined up who will (ever heard the term '$hit or get off the pot'?).
    I have most of the parts to fix this car, and my parents live close to you Mike (if you are still in Florida).......do I make my point well enough?
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."

Then I shouldn't have to say that times are tough financially for a lot of people. If I had a big garage I probably would have bought this one too along with several other REALLY nice SVOs that I've had to pass on in the last year or so.

THANK YOU! I WAS in a position up until two weeks ago to get an SVO finally. There was one here locally that the guy came on SVOCA and advertised it for $2950. Then he did a no reserve auction. It ended last night @ $1525, I was practically in tears... And now theres another in another state that I KNOW I could swing right now, but have no place to keep it til I can get it shipped/etc.
    -Eric
    85 SVO 1C
    93 LX 2.3 5 spd stripper, no PW, PL, PM, w/ A/C & Sunroof
    92 Harley Fat Boy
    92 LX 5.0 - Long gone and sadly missed
    84 Capri T-Top - gone
    10 GT Premium

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
    For the third time...........what does the guy want for it? If yoare not going to get it, then open it up to those who either will or have others lined up who will (ever heard the term '$hit or get off the pot'?).
    I have most of the parts to fix this car, and my parents live close to you Mike (if you are still in Florida).......do I make my point well enough?
    Relax Dude. I did say in my 2nd post that I'm keeping the amount private. When it comes time for me to be able to sell the car I'll let you know.

I'm going to hopefully secure the car this week but I'm also going to be going on vacation for a month. I just got back to my family(yesterday) who I have not seen since Christmas. So I'm doing the family thing for a bit before I get back into the garage. When I have more information I'll post it up.

FEP Super Member

Understood Mike............enjoy the vacation. By the tone of your earlier posts, I was under the impression that you were on the fence about buying it; that was why I was getting a little 'pushy' about the car as I too would hate to see some numbnuts know-nothing get the car and trash it to hell and make it truly useless.
    No harm, no foul...................if and when you decide to sell, let me know.

07-28-2009 05:43 PM
    Sorry to tell you that YOU just are not looking hard enough. I purchased a 86 7B (shadow blue) from Mission B.C.about 3 months ago for $3000 with only a bit of surface rust on the undercarriage. I found it on Autotrader and have found a few more on that same site.

I found a 84 SVO for sale in Chilliwack for $1500 and it was for sale the same time as my 7B. I wanted to look at it when I picked up the 7B but the seller never got back to me. I also know of a 86 1D for sale in Calgary for $3900 and a 86 9L in Grande Prairie, Alberta. They're out there, you just have to find them. If you want the Chilliwack add just PM me.

Jason Villeneuve

the Chilliwack one is a POS Jason.

FEP Senior Member

yeah,but that turd CAN be polished.....

do you mean the Chilly one, I highly doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post
    An SVO is an SVO no matter what. As long as it is not rotted to hell, who's to say it's too far gone.... It just needs the person willing to stand by it's side at nurse it back to all it's glory.

How much?

Also like to say, If you plan on buying and restoring it, you'd make a killing on that black aero interior.
    X2

I have seen black interiors sell for $600 incomplete. But that was a few years ago when we all had extra money.

I don't know the asking price of that SVO but $600 has to be a large portion of the investment.
    Current list o' cars
    87 hatch california car 94 SHO Taurus DD 96 Aerostar FH 77 HighBoy with a BBF
    Memorable cars from my past
    69 stang sports roof 302 GT RARE! 63 XL Galaxie loaded 75 Torino with a BBF 80 Capri coupe 82 stang hatch Turbo conversion car 82 Escort with a 2.3 85 'stang coupe with a 4.6L 4V Cobra motor 85 LTD with a 302 67 'stang coupe roller 61 Starliner Galaxie with a 428 SCJ 72 'stang sport roof

Quote Originally Posted by Peganit2 View Post
    I have seen black interiors sell for $600 incomplete. But that was a few years ago when we all had extra money.

I don't know the asking price of that SVO but $600 has to be a large portion of the investment.
    $600 is about right.

I considered swapping my 93's interior to black, but got discouraged when I saw consoles that weren't even mint sell on evilbay for about $250 then the dash was just as much. If you sell it separately, expect to get A LOT of money for the black interior.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

I went down and put a deposit on it today. Its in better shape than I had hoped. Very rust free. It has all the thin strips and only the drivers side spat. But at least it has one. Still has the Marchals too.

The story goes that the car sat from a blown motor. Relative had a 91 LX 5.0 that he crashed. Bought the SVO and swapped in all the 5.0 drivetrain, interior and had it repainted. He (recently) wanted to buy a turbocarged 98 Cobra and he sold off the 5.0 drivetrain to pay for the 98. Now the SVO has been sitting for about a year now as a shell. Was traded down to the present owner(who took some more parts off it). Now I'll be buying it.

I'll probably pull the interior and and sell it separately. The headlights are going on my SVO and I'll put mine onto it so its still as complete as can be. The car as a great bare SVO shell. Has a good title. Underneath looks good. Doors are so nice I wonder if they are from the 91 LX. Didn't remember to look under the hatch lip. Paint is better than my car's. Black interior is ok. Door panels are iffy. I think the guy I'm getting them off of pulled the good ones off the SVO to install onto his car, and just threw his iffy ones into the hatch of the SVO rather than reinstall them. Console looks pretty good. Carpet looks brand new. Struts are shot but they are still the Koni's. I have some spare fronts that still work but leak a little. I'll probably throw them in with who ever buys it. I'll be getting the other two original SVO wheels when I pick it up.

In the end it will certainly be a great SVO for someone to use. I'll keep you posted.

omg slap yourself if you havent bought that car yet!! and svo doesnt have to be 100% stock, its called modified mustangs..... i geuss ive always changed things to suite my needs better so i would never want a 100% legit svo. i dont collect cars, i drive em hard and have fun and fix them when they break.
    that car is in better shape bodywise than mine. and how do you even know its a svo. alot of people take svo stuff and swap it on other stangs.
    who care what motor is in it or if its got a 87 dash. i think it looks good and its probably in there because the svo dash whent to crap.if its a svo it will handle good no matter what motor is in it. personally i would do something crazy like put a 460 in it.step outside the box of consumer sheep.i drive a mustang because its fun, i dont care for some 86 stuff nor do i like speed density or sail panels or lx spoilers so ive changed things. if geo metros drove like mustangs i would drive those. its about fun not collecting or saving cars or right or wrong
    86 w/87 motor,full cage, gutted interior,5 lug, H&R front springs, SVO A arms, jeggster subframe connectors, driveshaft loop, 2007 mustang bullitts, 25th anniversary dash, 87+ qrtrs....
    96 honda civic 4 door
    01 suzuki sv650s v twin crotchrocket

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast