Close

Threaded View

Default Home made door panel backing board build!

Well I wanted to get backing boards for my convertible as one of the POs over the years did the 80s speaker in door panel "mod". I didn't have $45 for the ones at FMR but I had seen that someone had made some from materials at Lowes. Well I went there and they have 4' x 8' 1/8" hardboard for $7.53 (that was just in my price range). So last night I cut the board into 15" wide sections and then traced out the old backing board on the section. Next I took my jigsaw and let it loose. I had also traced out the holes for the armrest bolts, window crank, map pocket and push pins. The armrest bolt holes and window crank hole I drilled a hole in the middle so I could get in with the jigsaw. Now the push pin holes were a bit of a challenge. I sorta screwed up on the first board with the pin holes but the second one (which I did today) came out better. Tracing the holes works better if you use a pen (i used a sharpie the first time and ). Make sure you have the correct drill bit sizes and then drill the smaller holes first (thats where I made the mistake on the first one). After all the small holes are drilled change bits and drill all the larger holes. Make sure you center the bits on the outline or you may have probs with the push pins going into the holes in the door. After that just drill the holes for the map pocket(s) (if your car has it) and then clean up where the holes are (the board kinda frays).

This board is enough for you to make 3 WHOLE SETS of backing boards.

So far thats all I have done. I think I have figured out how to attach them on the metal frame for the DP but my stupid rivet gun broke a while back and I dont have the money for a new one so i'm gonna see if my grandpa has one and borrow his. I should have more progress this weekend. Ok heres some pics:

Also forgot to mention that they fit perfectly so im happy. I also ordered black door carpet for them from FMR so they should be here in a few weeks (im converting to black gut eventually so why buy the carpet twice).
    Last edited by 85 GT Kid; 07-23-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior