Close

Default Home made door panel backing board build!

Well I wanted to get backing boards for my convertible as one of the POs over the years did the 80s speaker in door panel "mod". I didn't have $45 for the ones at FMR but I had seen that someone had made some from materials at Lowes. Well I went there and they have 4' x 8' 1/8" hardboard for $7.53 (that was just in my price range). So last night I cut the board into 15" wide sections and then traced out the old backing board on the section. Next I took my jigsaw and let it loose. I had also traced out the holes for the armrest bolts, window crank, map pocket and push pins. The armrest bolt holes and window crank hole I drilled a hole in the middle so I could get in with the jigsaw. Now the push pin holes were a bit of a challenge. I sorta screwed up on the first board with the pin holes but the second one (which I did today) came out better. Tracing the holes works better if you use a pen (i used a sharpie the first time and ). Make sure you have the correct drill bit sizes and then drill the smaller holes first (thats where I made the mistake on the first one). After all the small holes are drilled change bits and drill all the larger holes. Make sure you center the bits on the outline or you may have probs with the push pins going into the holes in the door. After that just drill the holes for the map pocket(s) (if your car has it) and then clean up where the holes are (the board kinda frays).

This board is enough for you to make 3 WHOLE SETS of backing boards.

So far thats all I have done. I think I have figured out how to attach them on the metal frame for the DP but my stupid rivet gun broke a while back and I dont have the money for a new one so i'm gonna see if my grandpa has one and borrow his. I should have more progress this weekend. Ok heres some pics:

Also forgot to mention that they fit perfectly so im happy. I also ordered black door carpet for them from FMR so they should be here in a few weeks (im converting to black gut eventually so why buy the carpet twice).
    Last edited by 85 GT Kid; 07-23-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

FEP Senior Member

LOL you traced my footsteps 1 year later. The only thing is though when you try to screw in the window crank you really need to put the pressure on getting it started. The reason is what we used is so rigid compared to cardboard it isnt as easy to put the crank on. You will see what i mean lol. Great idea brother your panel will be super straight, They look soooogood when done.

Thanks . Well we'll see when I do the next test fit when they're all together. I'll take that little crank problem than the double speaker hole/ water damage problem lol. I think this stuff will hold up good too. When I put the car back together (no idea when thats gonna happen) im gonna buy new push pins so the panel sits on the door good. The funny thing is the pins at advance cost more than the board lol.

I'll post pics of the old board tomorow.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.

allenpul

Maybe you can router out the hole for the crank a bit.. this will allow the crank to sit in a recessed opening.... the problem goes away..

I got new plastic pins at an upholstery shop for 1/4 what the chain stores wanted. Just a thought.
    83 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI View Post
    I got new plastic pins at an upholstery shop for 1/4 what the chain stores wanted. Just a thought.
    Dang the only thing is there isn't a lot of upholstery shops near me. I'll have to look around.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

Good plan. Mine are kinda crap. Maybe theres something you can psint on the other side as a sound dampener?

FEP Senior Member loutheplumber's Avatar

check at you local auto body supply place to i got a box for $3 try to find someone how handles auveco products they are pretty cheap and good quality http://www.auveco.com/
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo
    1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe now lives as power plant in 1990 Jeep Wrangler
    2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    1959 Ford 871 Select-o-Speed
    "You Can Tell The Men From The Boys By The Price of Their Toys"

allenpul

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    Good plan. Mine are kinda crap. Maybe theres something you can psint on the other side as a sound dampener?
    You could use a undercoating / trunk liner type of spray one stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by allenpul View Post
    You could use a undercoating / trunk liner type of spray one stuff.
    Yeah that would probably work good. Hopefully I can get the boards on the metal frame tomorow. I went to my advance up the street and he said he had one rivet gun yesterday and now its gone . Just my luck so now I have to go to the other one tomorow to get it (its $8s so thats in my price range ).
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

86 50CPRI

I got 50 of the push pins for just over $6.00 at an upholstery shop here in Phoenix.

I'm eager to see how these work out..do they just rivet to the main door panel?

Yes but you need long rivets. My mom picked up a rivet gun for me and I was all excited that I was gonna get the panels together but of course I hit another road block. The rivets are too short they wont go through the metal and backing board . So saturday we're going to this store to look for some (the guy that told us about the store said they have some cool things hopefully they have push pins too). Hopefully I should have some pics by sunday.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

Well heres an update:

I got the right rivets but the brand new rivet gun I got crapped out so I gotta get a new one. I ordered the carpet and ACC sent the wrong stuff (it was black but for a hatch not a vert) but the guys a FMR fixed that and I got the correct ones yesterday. I got one carpet to fit good but I think I goofed when I made the other door panel board as the carpet wont fit. Hopefully i'll get the new rivet gun today and can get the good panel on and the the viny and carpet back on. I'll post pics if I can.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

Heres another update. I finally got a new rivet gun and finally I got one that works. The boards are on both metal frames now and I have the drivers side DP mostly put back together (the vinyl is stapled on but I haven't finished the gluing the carpet)/ I'll post pics of it later tonight when i'm done.

O and I ended up fixing the other board (I couldn't get the carpet to fit). I some how ended up not cutting the board quite right.
    Last edited by 85 GT Kid; 08-09-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

so 85 GT Kid
    since you are undertaking this i have a few questions for ya
    what metal frame are you talkin about? for the upper curved area?
    how hard was it to staple the fabric back to the fiberboard?
    what length staples did you use so they don't stick back through the fabric?
    and do you use something to adhere the fabric to the board? or does it just sit loose-
    and stretching the fabric keeps it tight?
    Finally is there anything we should know about removing the fabric and such from the old panel?
    Thanks
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

Ok i'll answer your ?s in order

yes the metal frame I am talking about is the curved area where the holes for the upper armrest screw goes and the door handle.

Stapling the vinyl was easy as I used a heavy duty black and decker hand stapler. Just staple it from the front like they did from the factory and then just bend the staples back on the back of the board.

I dont know what size the staples are right now but I only used them to go throught the front to hold the vinyl on so you can't see them and the top corners of the carpet (where it folds over towards the back of the board. I stapled the corners through the BACK of the board so they do stick up but I am going to try and bend them by hand as theres only 2.

The vinyl doesnt need glue to hold it to the board just the staples but the carpet must be glued on as you can't staple it like they did from the factory (they somehow got staples behind the vinyl edging of the carpet so you cant see it). I used this glue called Amazing Goop and it seems to work good. What I did was put the glue on the vinyl (where the carpet covers it) and then put the carpet on there. First I had unfolded the vinyl edging and then slipped the corners of the carpet on the board to get it in place and then stretched the carpet over to where it covers the vinyl (i'll post a pic later of where the vinyl is covered). When you have the glue on the vinyl stretch the carpet straight on the vinyl area. What I did to hold the carpet in place so it wouldnt come off the vinyl area (the glue has to set first) was just staple the carpet to the board. I had put a staple through the old carpet and then pulled it out and you couldn't see where the staple had gone so I figured it would be fine with the new stuff. It takes 24 hours for the glue to fully cure so im just gonna leave the staples in till tomorow and then pull them out.

No I would recomend putting glue in like a zig zag pattern under the carpet after the glue has cured for where the carpet and vinyl meet. You will also have to glue the vinyl edging to the board also but I havent done that yet (I'll get to that tomorow).

Theres really nothing to it when dissasembling the fabric. If you want to save your old carpet than you need to be carfull when peeling the vinyl edging off the old board as they seem to dry out really bad and crack real easy. Other than just make sure you have all the staples out and pulled the top vinyl part off.

If anyone needs anything answered just let me know and I will try and post pics later tonight.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

Hey guys I finally got some pics. This is the pass. door as I haven't quite finished the drivers yet. I still have to clean the vinyl real good but all in all im happy.

Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

Nice work!!
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

FEP Senior Member silver85horse's Avatar

Cool stuff!

Thanks guys. I still have a few little things to touch up but other than that they're just about done. Not bad considering making the panels and putting them on cost me about $10 and a couple hours of my time (plus $43 for the carpet).
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

Thank you, i am glad i asked . I have done some snowmobile seats, and thought this could be done. Great job we all thank you for the pictures as well . I am on a budget as well and will do this in the spring, Very nice work

Thanks man. Yeah im on a budget too and I dont want to spend a ton of money on my convertible either so I did this and it was kinda fun for me.

Good Luck
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

looks like another mod for me to do when i pull my panels off hehe

Okay update DO NOT USE AMAZING GOOP GLUE!!! Went out to put a relay in the convertible and the glue is seperating from the heat . I will be looking into new glue.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5

nice work bro!