Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hey, How'd that PP intake work out for you? Seal okay? Any power difference? Nice car by the way. Looks like if it lost a race, it would whoop the winners a$$

FEP Senior Member

It makes a decent difference compared to to the stocker. I liked it ( it was free) no leaks and a difference at about 2500 rpms but the clutch gave out before I could really give it some "testing". The Previous owner had cleaned out a lot of the flashing everyone complains about with them so it helped as well. Yeah the car has its own attitude but it never had an easy life until me. Thats why I keep putting time into it it will never be pretty never have a headliner, carpets but it will be ready to rumble if the need be.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Quote Originally Posted by Killingcivics View Post
    Umm I found it at a carquest in chateauguay. I doubt you remember but a while back you were on sherbrooke with your capri while I was driving my dropped red jetta vr6 daily in traffic made me miss the mustang!.

And it is staying the same green but for now I will be taking care of the stress cracks in the floor and maybe the sunroof.
    Yep, I do remember that! Didn't know it was you though. If I remember correctly it seemed to be lowered with maybe an exhaust?
    Good to know about Carquest, I'll check them out.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bridgener View Post
    Yep, I do remember that! Didn't know it was you though. If I remember correctly it seemed to be lowered with maybe an exhaust?
    Good to know about Carquest, I'll check them out.
    It is pretty low with an exhaust. It makes a good daily with a kick

Quote Originally Posted by mattquerio View Post
    Looks like a good project, I actually like the way that front air dam looks on there. Keep us posted.

I've always wanted a corrado...
    Everything he said.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingcivics View Post
    It makes a decent difference compared to to the stocker. I liked it ( it was free) no leaks and a difference at about 2500 rpms but the clutch gave out before I could really give it some "testing". The Previous owner had cleaned out a lot of the flashing everyone complains about with them so it helped as well. Yeah the car has its own attitude but it never had an easy life until me. Thats why I keep putting time into it it will never be pretty never have a headliner, carpets but it will be ready to rumble if the need be.
    Thanks for the heads up on the flashing.

To me. Cars that are rough around the edges are the most fun. You make it too pretty and you start to baby it. Next thing you know, your car owns you.

FEP Senior Member

Well took the car to my g/f's Uncle to start taking the motor out again for the 2nd time in two years. It's -18.5 celsius -1.3 fahrenheit and plenty of snow all over had some real fun driving on my baldish summers. Took two quick pics since I havent really since I sanded all the bad paint off the bumper during the summer. Cant wait for the new clutch and summer!

Pics

Last edited by Killingcivics; 01-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Cool pics. It looks rather cold there. Good luck with the engine work.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    Cool pics. It looks rather cold there. Good luck with the engine work.
    Well this time is the right time. The guy is a ford animal it is an understatement as to the amount of experience he has when it comes to tehm. He sold his charcoal one owner cobra 1986 last year. I'll be happy to have it back. At least I can sure it will be done right this time.

FEP Senior Member

Well time for an update

First the good news
    Floor is repaired around the tears, underbody is still solid and the clutch is being replaced this month so I should be able to drive it around by April.

Now the bad news
    Power steering rack leaks, rings are done on the motor and it the oil pressure is not as high as it should be. I am going to fill it with 20w50 this summer and look around for a good clean long block maybe with some extras at the same time. Then this winter Ill swap the motor out again......

FEP Senior Member

Life never goes as planned but this summer hasn't been very bad to the car. Clutch is holding up, but apparently my u-joints didnt like the driving. Got fed up with cracking bodywork around the sunroof so I removed and replaced most of the 1/4 inch thick bondo. It isn't perfect but I haven't found a roof to swap in. At least for now it looks and seals better.
    And the main reason I am taking forever with working on this car is funds and my recent 3 month departure from my drivers license.
    I am thinking this winter to change motormounts, u-joints, tranny mount, long tube headers and x/h pipe and try to tighten up the chassis more. The motor runs decently, the carb needs to be jetted properly and it will probaly last until the next winter.

FEP Senior Member

Time for an update. Starting to accumulate various goodies to start making it presentable. The dents and scratches are still there but it will be painted in time. For now my next step is a new motor in a 1997 gt40 from an explorer, ford motorsport headers, a better carb, new steering rack, clutchand maybe a cam.. Interior is getting a minimum of updates still no varpet or headliner but recently i finaly located recaro adaptors from a member and so ill be putting in my recaros!

Ill be posting up some new pics of my bucket soon.For now here are my Recaro dont mind the mess we are moving.

I like how you and this car continue to soldier on. I'm afraid a lot of other folks would already have gotten discouraged and moved on. Not many of these cars around anymore it seems. Keep up the good work!
    1985 Mustang GT, owned since 1989
    2000 Expedition XLT 219k miles
    2011 Expedition XLT

I'm so glad you finally got the Recaro seat adapters. Those seats look awesome btw, do you have plans to recover them or are they going in as is (not that there's anything wrong with the way they look now, I'm just curious)? Do you have a matching rear seat?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    I'm so glad you finally got the Recaro seat adapters. Those seats look awesome btw, do you have plans to recover them or are they going in as is (not that there's anything wrong with the way they look now, I'm just curious)? Do you have a matching rear seat?
    Not recovering for now. Car has no carpet, no headliner and a crappy dash so mismatched seats for the moment will do. The seats are in great shape and if ever I can find a backseat from a vw maybe I could get my gf to redo it to match. Going to pick up the rails from my friends place tonite!

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
    I like how you and this car continue to soldier on. I'm afraid a lot of other folks would already have gotten discouraged and moved on. Not many of these cars around anymore it seems. Keep up the good work!

The day I bought this car I made a promise to my girlfriend and that was not to sell until it is done. Granted plans change over time and I might be looking to do things differently then when I first got it. The car has character and even if it isn't perfect I won't sell it. I don't think I would be happier if I had a perfect car because I would be too worried about people damaging it.

I am however this summer going to do some bodywork to it and try to make it more visually acceptable. Going to sand all the grey trims and moldings and give them a fresh coat of grey paint. Debating trying to redo the roof with a spraycan for the moment.

Right now just waiting to move into my house and then I can back to work

FEP Senior Member

Well time for updates. Had some free time so voila
    Hmm recaros..

Hmm old headers leaked a little bit I think

Yes I know I need to clean up the engine bay

Last edited by Killingcivics; 06-08-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Those Recaros look right at home in your Cobra, and im glad you finally got them installed. Mthey have to feel great when your behind the wheel. It was a night and day difference for me when i put a set of Recaros in my 86...I can never go back to stock.

I really like your car btw. The 85/86's are one of the best looking foxes IMO and I think it's awesome that Ford tacked the cobra name to the Canadian cars. I would love to have one down here, I bet a lot of people would think I just slapped a Cobra decal on an 85/86 (lol).

Keep the progress going, your doing a great job. I'm sure your car thanks you for rescuing it.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Senior Member

Well kind of an update time.

Still have the car but havent been driving it very much due to bald tires, crappy brakes and a leaking intake. But this is about to start changing. As of saturday I picked up a 1995 Mustang for parts and I will start upgrading the brake system. Seeing as I have the entire running car I will also do the 3g swap and electric fans along with the power drivers seat. The donor car runs and drives but rear light and fuel pump seem to have cut out. After that is finished I think it is time to swap the gt40 motor in and redo all the gaskets properly.

A 5 year (so far) build thread! Awesome! I would like to see a build thread completed for once! These are few and far between. I hope yours gets done. Still working on mine by the way. Good luck!

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    A 5 year (so far) build thread! Awesome! I would like to see a build thread completed for once! These are few and far between. I hope yours gets done. Still working on mine by the way. Good luck!
    I wont sell it until it is done or I am. When I bought it I made a promise that I would never sell it uncompleted. My ideas and plans over the years have changed but the focus has always been get it better looking and running properly. The car might look beat body wise but underneath and everywhere else is suprisingly solid for a Canadian rustbelt car.
    Last edited by Killingcivics; 08-05-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Glad to see the saga continues. It's also great to hear someone being unwilling to sell an uncompleted car. That can be a real kiss of death for these vehicles and should be avoided whenever possible.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

came in to check out your car, posting because i really like the green idea w/ the steelies, and i'm a vw person too. is your corrado a vr or g60? my daily is a 1.8t mk4 gti

nice color,sweet car,keep up the good work.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dk5_cobra View Post
    came in to check out your car, posting because i really like the green idea w/ the steelies, and i'm a vw person too. is your corrado a vr or g60? my daily is a 1.8t mk4 gti
    That was a vr. Kind of miss it was so perfect.
    Going to start this weekend wrenching on the 95 parts car. Plan is to take off what I can and see what else I can use.
    Thinking Alternator/Underhood Fusebox Wiring/Rad Fans. Then axles, control arms, brakes, steering rack etc. Plan on taking out what I can interior wise and use like the power drivers seat after that I really don't think there is anything usefull left.

Spotted a Mark 7 being parted out and I may stop in to see if the wheels are for sale. I have a set of HPP wheels from my Crown Vic and maybe I could make a set that would work on my car.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast