Close

Default Help with rust on the roof. Please...

I have several spots on my roof behind the t-tops that have started to rust. This isn't bubbling rust under the paint. The paint has flaked, chipped, or whatever and the exposed metal is now rusting.

I want to just strip and repaint the whole area behind the t-tops for now. I "hope" to get the whole car re-paint next year. Should I still use Ospho or similar after I wire wheel the rust off? Is parimer/paint in a spray can going to do for a while?
    ~Tony~

1986 GT Regatta Blue w/ Gray Interior
    1985 GT Black T-Tops w/ Gray Interior - Originally "1E"

R.I.P.
    1985 LX Jalapeņo Red Hatchback w/ Red Interior - My first and still favorite!

I'd think some primer and touch up spray would be good til ya paint..

If you do use cans, you should be fine, just make sure whoever paints it knows and takes the roof down to the metal and reprimes it. Can primers don't last as long and can cause lifting.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

New User

Like bigjason said, can primers don't last long their only good for a temp fix. sand the rust away until the the metal is clean then use a epoxy primer to seal everything, then block sand w/320-400 grit, then if needed put a thick coat of a high build 2K primer to fill any scrathes, block sand again w/320-400 grit, Then your ready for paint. I would stay away from any spraycan products.