Close

Thread: 79 Pace Car

Default 79 Pace Car

This is for the guru of codes...FoxChassis (and/or others who can chime in!)

I just bought a 79 Pace Car (VIN: 9F03F487823). My question is concerning the transmission code on the door data tag. The vins match so I know it's not off another car (build date 07/79). On the tag the code reads 5, which comes up as a 5-spd...except Mustangs (as far as I know) did not come with 5-spds until mid-83. The car is equipped with the SROD. Is this a misprint or was the transmission codes changed between 79 and 83?

Also, the paint code is either 1E or 1F...can anyone tell me the color name and what the PPG code would be (or ditzler).

The code under MLDG on the door tag is 10E...what does that signify? I can't find much decoding info until after 1980!

Thanks All!

FoxChassis: Are you still after buck tags, door tags, etc? I have those for my 85 CDN GT, my GT350 and my Pace Car and the build sheet for the 85...should I scan them and post?

Cheers
    *PRESENT*
    1985 GT *Needs HealthCare*
    1984 Anny *Undergoing Full Resto*
    1979 Pacecar *Sold*
    1983 GLX Vert 5.0 *Back On The Road After 10 Years!*

The TR (transmission) code "5" in '79 is for the SROD (single-rail overdrive/four-speed overdrive), not a five-speed. Don't know where you got the "5" as being a five-speed but none of my books show that for '79. They do show that for '81 and '82. The SROD's code changed to "4" in '81.

There was a five-speed manual transmission before mid-'83 but it was not the Borg Warner T5 you're thinking of. The 'early' 5-speed was behind the 2.3T and 2.3L in '81 and '82.

The T5's code is "2".

The PC's paint code is "1E" (Pewter) and the MLDG code is indeed "10E" (Black molding/Medium Orange stripes).

Yes, please scan and post any and all tags, labels, sheets, etc. that you have!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The TR (transmission) code "5" in '79 is for the SROD (single-rail overdrive/four-speed overdrive), not a five-speed. Don't know where you got the "5" as being a five-speed but none of my books show that for '79. They do show that for '81 and '82. The SROD's code changed to "4" in '81.

There was a five-speed manual transmission before mid-'83 but it was not the Borg Warner T5 you're thinking of. The 'early' 5-speed was behind the 2.3T and 2.3L in '81 and '82.

The T5's code is "2".

The PC's paint code is "1E" (Pewter) and the MLDG code is indeed "10E" (Black molding/Medium Orange stripes).

Yes, please scan and post any and all tags, labels, sheets, etc. that you have!
    See....code guru!!! Ya...all I could find info on was 80 and up so I used that to find out what I could...I kinda figured the code was right and the number just changed for 80 and up. Do you know the PPG paint code...the paint shop couldn't find a 1E (or a 1F for that matter...we looked for both) paint code?

In what section would you like me to post the data? I'll be with all three ladies this weekend and could take the sexy photo's you requestion!
    *PRESENT*
    1985 GT *Needs HealthCare*
    1984 Anny *Undergoing Full Resto*
    1979 Pacecar *Sold*
    1983 GLX Vert 5.0 *Back On The Road After 10 Years!*