Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrecked my SVO

Default Wrecked my SVO

I was over at my buddies house today to look at the 84 mustang race car he just picked up. I parked my svo on the hill on his driveway. Well my car skidded down the driveway into the back of his truck. The hood is pushed in the front, both inside marker lights are crushed, the driver outside marker is cracked and the bumper cover and fiberglass bumper support are both cracked. I'm not sure what to do now. I have full coverage on the car but I know insurance will total it. Should I take the call my insurance, I'd really hate to loose this car. Anybody have any ideas what I can do to claim the car and not loose it. In maryland if a car has a salvage title from maryland it can not be registered for driving.

BTW I wrecked my 86gt about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't going to claim it because the car wasn't really in great shape. I avoided hitting a deer and hopped a couple medians. The frame is all out of wack and I crushed my headers. I was just going to swap the motor to another car later on. This is the first time I've ever had an car accidents ever.
    Last edited by ZachW04Stang; 06-17-2009 at 09:53 PM.
    86 Mustang - Part SVO, Part GT, Part LX but 3 wrecks make one car.

Wow, sorry about the losses. Tough time, cant help you with the situation, hopefully others can chime in.

Good luck
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

you should talk to your insurance agent and see what your options are i dont see why they would total it if its just a bumper and some lights and markers and hood. if your agent says it would most likely be totaled tell him/her that you will fix it yourself and start looking for parts. shoot temporarily use parts from the 86 if need be

^^^ x2
    85 rs capri (gone)(tbi car)
    86 gt. (cat pee car is gone)
    85 capri rs
    84 coupri,cfi,aod sold
    61 thunderbird

non ford
    70 GMC
    76 MGB

X3, I know SVO parts are scarce, but then again I dont know why they would total it. Im in texas but when they totaled my 96 they evaluated it, and let me decide if I wanted to file and total it or stop the process
    A wise man said "Post counts don't mean a thing if you don't know what you're talking about".

PAST 1986 Mustang GT, 1996 Mustang GT
    PRESENT 1984 Mustang GT "FANTASy" 1976 F100 Stepside FE390

Blog Entries

They'll total it because they'll check out the prices of the parts and labor and compare it to the "book" value of the car and unless it's a pristine and documented as well as appraised car, they'll state that the cost of repairs will exceed the value of the vehicle.

Fixable means nothing to insurance companies. The path of the least amount of cash outlay is all they need care about.

Can you do buy backs with clean titles in your state? Some states will allow for buy backs and as long as the title doesn't change hands. The insurance company will cut a check, less whatever value they determine, you get some amount of money, though not the entire amount, and the car, title untouched.

Looks like you need to do some research. I wish you luck.

I'm sorry to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    They'll total it because they'll check out the prices of the parts and labor and compare it to the "book" value of the car and unless it's a pristine and documented as well as appraised car, they'll state that the cost of repairs will exceed the value of the vehicle.

Question, how would they check prices of these parts? If a part is obsolete, where do they get a quote for the parts?
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

You say it "skidded" down the driveway.... were you in mud, wet grass? How does a car just "skid" down a driveway? Are you sure you didn't forget to put it in gear and it "coasted" down the driveway?
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Your lucky because they make reproductions of all the parts that bent. I wouldn't let them total it for minor damage. The most expensive parts, if they need to be replaced, would be the hood and bumper cover... however they do make new reproductions. Make sure nothing happens to the passenger outer marker light!!! No reproductions on that one. Good luck!
    John

1986 SVO 1C
    1993 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by ZachW04Stang View Post
    I was over at my buddies house today to look at the 84 mustang race car he just picked up. I parked my svo on the hill on his driveway. Well my car skidded down the driveway into the back of his truck. The hood is pushed in the front, both inside marker lights are crushed, the driver outside marker is cracked and the bumper cover and fiberglass bumper support are both cracked. I'm not sure what to do now. I have full coverage on the car but I know insurance will total it. Should I take the call my insurance, I'd really hate to loose this car. Anybody have any ideas what I can do to claim the car and not loose it. In maryland if a car has a salvage title from maryland it can not be registered for driving.

BTW I wrecked my 86gt about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't going to claim it because the car wasn't really in great shape. I avoided hitting a deer and hopped a couple medians. The frame is all out of wack and I crushed my headers. I was just going to swap the motor to another car later on. This is the first time I've ever had an car accidents ever.
    When it comes to insurance and animals... HIT the deer. Hitting a deer is "Act of God"...Swerving to avoid the deer and hitting a tree or anything else is YOUR fault. This happened to me and my State Farm agent told me this. Sorry to hear about your Fords
    ~Scott~

1985 Mustang GT
    Medium Canyon Red Metallic Exterior ~ Sand Beige / Buckskin Interior

I'm no legal expert but this is my personal experience.....

If you make a claim they can't force you to total your car for non structural damage that
    exceeds their "actual value" of the car, they merely give you the ultimatum to "total" the
    car for a cash claim, or drop the claim for compensation, in which case your title doesn't
    get effected, but they may report it to CarFax databases.

Whatever you decide to do, I would take this as a lesson check out Haggerty or one of the
    other collector car insurance companies and get Agreed Value full coverage. Because they
    have a reputation to uphold, they don't play these games.

PS - They also have much cheaper premiums!
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 06-18-2009 at 09:26 AM.

I wouldn't run the risk of the insurance company totaling it. You should really consider two things before making that call. First how much is your deductible and second how much is it going to cost to get the car repaired? After you determine those you can determine if you want your rates to go up for a few hundred dollars that the insurance company is going to give you. Me personally I'd just fix it out of pocket and save my rates.
    83 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ZachW04Stang View Post
    In maryland if a car has a salvage title from maryland it can not be registered for driving.
    Really? In California a "salvaged title" car is indeed registerable and drivable, the primary downside being no bank/lending institution will finance a purchase on it and maybe insurance companies would be reluctant to offer full-coverage. I do know once a car has been declared "parted out" it can never be registered again. I've heard a recovered stolen vehicle will get a salvage title even if there's no damage.

Also here you can retain your car if declared a "total" with the afore mentioned salvage title. I should remember how to do this as I went through it a few years ago but I don't (It was a car I inherited from my mom and never drove, smashed parked on the curb in front of my house). I think they pay out the total value, but you have pay something back although you usually come out ahead ... before repair costs.

As I'm sure you know, most SVO-specific parts just aren't available anymore. The inner marker lights are available as repros, and I believe the bumper cover and support as well. Lucky you didn't ding the passenger side outer marker light ... no repros and they alone can run anywhere from $250-$400 a pop. DS being cheaper as I believe there's some repros (from "original Ford molds") out there. May be a repro hood out there, but I'm not sure as those "SVO replica" hoods made for aero-noses won't fit due to the light arrangement.

Agree with PaceFever ... sometimes I get spooked about just the idea of pulling my SVO out of the driveway in fear of some numbnuts being stupid. I have normal coverage but have thought more than once about getting a Haggerty-type policy or a rider on our existing one to cover the enhanced value.

Also, if you do go ahead with repairs, find a shop that will work with you. My buddy recently damaged his 2000 GT and instead of replacing the damaged sheet metal/plastic with stock parts, his shop was willing to replace them with aftermarket items as they were essentially the same cost.

I also think it's very worthwhile to develop a relationship with your insurance agent. My wife and I are with a major company but deal strictly with a local agent in a small office. Either of us can call up or stop by and talk directly to the agent or their office personel, who know us and will give us straight up answers. We got some great advice on a home damage repair claim that ended up taking care of everything, which it wouldn't have if we didn't go and talk to our agent about how to procede. I know if your circumstance happened to me, I could talk to my agent and he would tell me in all honesty what would be the best course (which is what he did for the incident with my mom's car).
    Last edited by f14peter; 06-18-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Tough situation - Some research and a candid conversation with an insurance agent who may or may not be your own personal one should give you your options.
    '83 Hatch - PBR Front/GT rear disc, Steeda Sport Springs, Tokico Blues, MM CC plates, 87+ sway bars

They wont use new parts anyway, they'll search the wrecking yards. It also depends on the deductible. My vert got hit by someone at work, over $1800 in damage, but with a $500 deductible the insurance only payed $1300...and it wasnt totalled...
    my car is slow....
    84 GT convertible
    13.58@102.84, 2.01 60ft... summer in AZ...
    68 coupe.. lookin for 8's with a street car
    http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg

Well I went and talked with my buddy who is an estimater at a body shop today. He told me not to file it because it will be totaled. I actaully did have the car appraised and it was for $8000 but I'd rather keep the car then get the cash. His body shop can fix the hood but I need to find the header panel, bumper cover, and the lights. He quoted me $1300 to paint match everything and fix the hood. This was with a discount. I am just going to start saving and fix the car without claiming it.

The car was parked in a gravel driveway btw. The whole time the car skidded down the rear wheels didn't spin. I had the e brake on and the car in first.

Glad to hear that you're planning on fixing it.... Since i don't beleive you are registered at SVOCA, you may want to contact the previous owner (Jason) and see if he can help with leads on some of the parts. He's local to you and has good contacts in the SVO world.

My $0.02.

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

man you had us worried and you had a friend in a body shop the whole time!!

WOW, Zach, that really sucks! Beautiful car too... And I was waiting for the call to help ya put in the new dash and sort out the AC deal.
    -Eric
    85 SVO 1C
    93 LX 2.3 5 spd stripper, no PW, PL, PM, w/ A/C & Sunroof
    92 Harley Fat Boy
    92 LX 5.0 - Long gone and sadly missed
    84 Capri T-Top - gone
    10 GT Premium

Unless you have a stated value policy, you would still have trouble with an appraisal. Most appraisers slap crazy numbers on cars and owners get inflated values of what they own. Work on it w/o dealing w/ an agent. I am taking the same route on my '93 SSP that I wrecked earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Glad to hear that you're planning on fixing it.... Since i don't beleive you are registered at SVOCA, you may want to contact the previous owner (Jason) and see if he can help with leads on some of the parts. He's local to you and has good contacts in the SVO world.

My $0.02.

JT
    I've tried joining the svoca multiple times but found it impossible since I don't have an isp email address. Kind of sucks. I don't even have internet where I'm living now. I've tracked down all the parts I need new at work today. I just need to save up the $$$.

Could ya post up some pics & I hope the cash comes quick to ya.
    -RICH-
    84 CAPRI RS FOR SALE
    i'm a car junkie - i love junkie cars

Here is a before picture of the car. I don't have a camera now to take pictures of the car.

I love the color. Reminds me of what mine will look like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast