Close

Default ignition switch?

86 mustang gt First, I have had the battery checked and it is fine. What is happening is this. With the door open and the key inserted in the ignition switch, you do hear the door buzzer go off. As soon as you turn the key out of the locked position, absolutely nothing. If you remove the key and insert it again, still nothing. Could this be the ignition switch or a relay?

New parts alternator 65amp ,starter,solenoid.
    Last edited by 86steeda; 06-01-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Possibly the switch, the replacement is pretty cheap and easy.
    1985 mercury capri, 347, twisted wedge, TFS stage 3, Parker Funnel Web intake, demon 650, all MSD, 8.8, 4.10s, Hoosier QTPs...stock T-5 :0

thanks

The original switch is a fail proned piece of crap anyway. Im sure it will fix your problem, but if not, you got that darn thing out of there.

Depending on your year, they are tamper resistant screws or round head. I cut a slot in mine with my dremel and backed them out with a straight blade screwdriver. Mine were the round head type.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I have the round head.
    thanks
    Last edited by 86steeda; 06-01-2009 at 08:25 PM.

I assume you know where it is, if not, remove the plastic shroud from the steering column.

You will see the switch with the BIG wiring plug connected to it on the RT side of the column. There are 2 fastners holding it on. Mine were flat headed, so I notched them with my dremmel cutting disc.

If you have the correct temper resistant driver, then use it, if that is the type of fastener your switch is held on by.

If I remember there is something "funny" about the way you install the switch. Must have the switch in "RUN", or something like that, so everything works correct.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

When it's in it's "nothing" state, does jumping across the starter solenoid make the
    engine crank?

BTW, of the 4 foxen I own, all still have their original ignition switches. I agree
    it's a known failure point, but let's keep things in perspective...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Yes, it whats to start.
    What is the best way to get it off?
    Last edited by 86steeda; 06-03-2009 at 06:32 AM.

Those rivet things are threaded. If you can get pliers on them they thread out. I think I used a small socket and tapped it on with a hammer.
    my car is slow....
    84 GT convertible
    13.58@102.84, 2.01 60ft... summer in AZ...
    68 coupe.. lookin for 8's with a street car
    http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg

My 86GT went 280k miles before the original puked, my 83 has the original also. While they do go bad, I don't think it's as bad as that article makes it sound.
    83 GT Turbo