Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fairmont fuel tank

what if any other fuel tanks will fit in a 79 fairmont?

thought i read on here quite some time ago that some ltd"s would and thier fuel injected.
    any suggestionns on best place and best price to get one also. located in missoui

may buy new fairmont one and weld a return line and stuff to support fuel injection

thanks

Here's some links. There are still mods that have to be done with the pickup.

78 - 81 F/Z tank (all body styles):
    http://www.quantaproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=F-2A

84-86 LTD/Marquis STATION WAGON tank (with CFI):
    http://www.quantaproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=F-2C

Quote Originally Posted by SHO-PNY View Post
    what if any other fuel tanks will fit in a 79 fairmont?

thought i read on here quite some time ago that some ltd"s would and thier fuel injected.
    any suggestionns on best place and best price to get one also. located in missoui

may buy new fairmont one and weld a return line and stuff to support fuel injection

thanks
    Good info here from an old post here at FEP:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=45481
    Post #19

BTW you were asking the same question back then...

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 05-22-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    Good info here from an old post here at FEP:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=45481
    Post #19

BTW you were asking the same question back then...

T
    mite be LOL just finally got it outta car and working with it

Quote Originally Posted by 82_4door View Post

the ltd tank has the sending unit mount on top dont think i could use that mine is in differnt location. or how would i use that one ?

Quote Originally Posted by 82_4door View Post

what MODS is it not a direct replacement ? plug and play?

Default F/Z EFI fuel tanks....

Welcome to my nightmare Stephen.

Here is what I did to get my car running :

I know in this picture, it LOOKS like the sump is high but it is isn't, it's lower than the rest of the tank.

It works GREAT as long as I keep the tank more than 3/4 full. Any lower and it pulls air when the fuel sloshes around. VERY IRRITATING and potentially harmful...

I have been talking to the nice guys at glennsperformance.com and they told me that they can modify a stock F/Z fuel tank with one of their EFI sumps for just $200 plus shipping that they guarantee will not pull air and that I will be able to drive the car all the way until the tank is empty. I just ordered a new F2A fuel tank from rockauto.com for just $114.79 and will be sending it to them shortly for conversion.

The F2C tank "conversion" presents two big problems.... The fuel pump/sender setup is totally different than the Mustang style, even the pump size is different. There is no hole for the stock Fairmont sending unit, so no fuel gauge...

let me know on gas tank and if it is the same as you have

send me full pics when you get it been looking at new ones my self
    call me
    816 835 6991
    stephen

Quote Originally Posted by C7Z View Post

The F2C tank "conversion" presents two big problems.... The fuel pump/sender setup is totally different than the Mustang style, even the pump size is different. There is no hole for the stock Fairmont sending unit, so no fuel gauge...
    The F-2C tank is the one to use. You will need the matching pump/hanger/sender. Airtex still makes it - part number E2146S -and its available from many suppliers (ie RockAuto). It has the correct gauge sender as part of the assembly (its not seperate like on the Mustang EFI setup):

You can use the internal pump to feed the external bad boys you have configured there or just remove the pump and slightly modify (extend) the inlet pipe so its always in the fuel. The F-2C has a crude internal 'coffer dam' to hold fuel around the pump inlet.

The bigger problem you are going to have is the fact that the F-2C tank uses a filler pipe with a 2" diameter. The stock filler pipe on your 1979 Fairmont is 2-1/4" which fits the original F-2A tank but will not fit the F-2C tank as is. Ive read where sombody was very creative and cut his stock 2-1/4" filler pipe before where it entered the tank and welded on a piece of 2" pipe that will fit the F-2C. You will also need the correct 2" rubber seal that seals the pipe-to-the tank. I lucked out and found a Fox Marquis in a JY that had the 2" filler pipe I needed. If you find a 83-86 Fox LTD/Marquis 2" filler pipe you will also need the filler pipe housing that mounts the filler pipe to the inner rear fender. I also found a NOS tank-to-filler pipe seal but that was very hard to find.

Good luck

T
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

The F-2C tank is the one to use. You will need the matching pump/hanger/sender. Airtex still makes it - part number E2146S -and its available from many suppliers (ie RockAuto). It has the correct gauge sender as part of the assembly (its not seperate like on the Mustang EFI setup):

You can use the internal pump to feed the external bad boys you have configured there or just remove the pump and slightly modify (extend) the inlet pipe so its always in the fuel. The F-2C has a crude internal 'coffer dam' to hold fuel around the pump inlet.

The bigger problem you are going to have is the fact that the F-2C tank uses a filler pipe with a 2" diameter. The stock filler pipe on your 1979 Fairmont is 2-1/4" which fits the original F-2A tank but will not fit the F-2C tank as is. Ive read where sombody was very creative and cut his stock 2-1/4" filler pipe before where it entered the tank and welded on a piece of 2" pipe that will fit the F-2C. You will also need the correct 2" rubber seal that seals the pipe-to-the tank. I lucked out and found a Fox Marquis in a JY that had the 2" filler pipe I needed. If you find a 83-86 Fox LTD/Marquis 2" filler pipe you will also need the filler pipe housing that mounts the filler pipe to the inner rear fender. I also found a NOS tank-to-filler pipe seal but that was very hard to find.

Good luck

T
    so this is so i could go fuel injection right ? and is that a pic of the actual part because the electrical plug looks different then what is on mine now ? or is tha more modifying iwill need to do ? will the f2c be a direct swap if staying carburated? no mods just put sending unit back in and good to go?

The electrical plug is different than what's on your '79 now. The '79 has two wires for the sending unit, yellow/white coming from the gage and black to ground. The '84 and later LTD has four wires, again yellow/white from the gage, brown/pink to power the fuel pump, and two black grounds. The good news is the electrical plug is the same as those used in '86 thru '95 Tauruses and there are plenty of those in the junk yards.

Steve....

you will HAVE to rewire the sender to use the efi there is NO WAY around this.

the efi tank will have an internal baffle to hold fuel around the pickup to prevent the problem c7z is having.

I can patch and weld a return into your tank like we talked about but without a baffle....

c7z who did your sump? there are ways to do it that help keep fuel in the sump to prevent it (my old sumped setup was good til about 1/4 tank then would starve the pump)

Default Who did what...

Quote Originally Posted by theuglystang View Post
    C7Z who did your sump? there are ways to do it that help keep fuel in the sump to prevent it (my old sumped setup was good til about 1/4 tank then would starve the pump)
    I did the cutting and a friend welded it on for me. I didn't cut a big open hole, I cut slats sort of like louvers and bent them inward. I hoped that would help with the sloshing.... NOPE...

I am having a tank modified by Glenn's Performance that they assure me can be driven to empty with no sloshing or starvation issues. They quoted me $200 plus shipping for the modification.

I think I'm just going to fit a mustang tank to mine. I know its a lot of work, but the advantage is that I can use OTS mustang parts that are still available at a local parts house (pickup, sender, fuelpump, etc).

I do sheetmetal fabrication for a living, so a little cutting, bending, and welding doesn't bother me.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

Default I just can't do that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr 351C View Post
    I think I'm just going to fit a mustang tank to mine. I know its a lot of work, but the advantage is that I can use OTS mustang parts that are still available at a local parts house (pickup, sender, fuelpump, etc).

I do sheetmetal fabrication for a living, so a little cutting, bending, and welding doesn't bother me.
    I have to agree that this is probably the best way to go about it, I just can't bring myself to cut up my cars....

Even my wiring.... I adapted the EFI harness to plug into as many stock 1980 underhood and underdash connectors as possible. Not that it's likely that I will EVER put a 200 back in my Zephyr, I just can't bring myself to cut up stuff like that.... On the few things that I have cut or modified, I have often spent hours ( days ? ) mulling over ways to accomplish what I need to do without cutting or modifying the factory stuff... I was almost giddy when I realized that the factory C3 transmission neutral safety/backup light switch connector was a direct plug-in to the AOD requiring no change, lol.....

50th Post ! Whoo Hoo ! I'm a FEP User now !

Quote Originally Posted by C7Z View Post
    I did the cutting and a friend welded it on for me. I didn't cut a big open hole, I cut slats sort of like louvers and bent them inward. I hoped that would help with the sloshing.... NOPE...

I am having a tank modified by Glenn's Performance that they assure me can be driven to empty with no sloshing or starvation issues. They quoted me $200 plus shipping for the modification.
    mine had two good sized holes up near the top/back to let fuel in and then it would hold there when you hit the brakes and the fuel sloshed forward.

Default Gas Holes

Quote Originally Posted by theuglystang View Post
    mine had two good sized holes up near the top/back to let fuel in and then it would hold there when you hit the brakes and the fuel sloshed forward.
    Yeah, in retrospect, that makes a lot more sense than how I did mine. This is the first tank I have ever had to sump... Live and learn...

On the few things that I have cut or modified, I have often spent hours ( days ? ) mulling over ways to accomplish what I need to do without cutting or modifying the factory stuff...
    That's the best way to do it. I, however, often jump right in and have to put a thing or two back.

That's one reason I haven't started on my 2"x3" SFCs yet. Screwing those up would qualify as an epic fail.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SHO-PNY View Post
    so this is so i could go fuel injection right ? and is that a pic of the actual part because the electrical plug looks different then what is on mine now ? or is tha more modifying iwill need to do ? will the f2c be a direct swap if staying carburated? no mods just put sending unit back in and good to go?
    have you done the f2c conversion? does it fit in the factory location does the top mount sending unit cause a fitment problem
    dont want to make any harder than has to be just want the car to work right if go fuel injection and want clean looking car top and bottom
    do you have any pics? if you have done it ?

thanks again
    stephen

Good luck

T
    Didn't the '84-'97 or so Mustangs use the 2" filler pipe also? I bought a couple of the filler pipe to tank seals from Ford already and harvested a used one from an '94 Mustang for my '89. I could swear the filler pipe I grabbed for my '78 was a 2" (from an LTD) and the same size as the '84's. Now I need to check to see what size the '83 Fairmont has!

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

let me know what you find out will have to check mine since is out been more concerned with getting proper tank or one that will fir in the given area i can make the filler neck aspect work either way

I know they were different b/w 79 fairmont and when I put the tank in from a 90 stang....I had to put the stock stang one in....just fyi
    ~~~Project Granny Sled~~~
    ~~~4 doors and some hurt feelings~~~
    79 Ford Fairmont with ALOT of mustang parts

Subscribed for future reference

Any questions, let me know. I did the LTD tank swap.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Raise!!! old thread... Raise!!..

hey fellas, I am in the process of installing the F2C tank into a 4door Zephyr with the above airtex assembly minus the rinky dink pump thats included and will be running a Walbro 465 in its place... I wanted to ask if anyone foresees any issues I will be seeing with this swap.. The issues I am not clear on their solution are the filler neck size issue and the availability of the connector pigtail for that EFI fuel pump assembly.. ohh and the rollover valve grommet.. is that fox mustang size per say? thanks!!!!!
    85 Saleen#111
    86 SVO 5.3 BW S475
    04 Terminator
    80 Zephyr GS 5.3 4l60

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast