Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I believe the rollover/tank vent valve is the same with the '80-'97 Mustang and can be bought from places like Laurel Mountain Mustang (and the grommet too). Some body mentioned it's the same as what's used in Tauruses. I think that connector may be available new since many other Ford connectors are available. I grabbed some from LTD/Marquis in the wrecking yard.

On thing I foresee with the Airtex E2146S fuel pump/sending unit is Airtex no longer produces them.

Oh, and as long as your Zephyr is an '81 or older, you're good to go with the F2C. If it's an '82/'83 then you will need the '84-'86 LTD/Marquis sedan fuel tank (F16C?) and fuel pump/sending unit assembly. Fortunately, those are still available.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I got my vent valve and grommet for my F2C at Latemodel Restoration. Same as the Mustang, as mentioned.

I got my pigtail, I believe from Auto Zone. Brand new. Take careful note of Dean's tank information too.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Well that sux.. cause i am pretty sure the Zeph is a 82.. whats the issue with F2C in the 82 up? the trunk floor is different?

I had originally bought the the F2C and Airtex sender for a 79 that FF that i had.. but then this cleaner 4 door came around and switched the project over to that..

Is there anyway to tell besides the year of the car if its going to fit? I am so curious now.. I'm going to swing by the storage place to see what year the Zephyr is now!!! thanks guys!
    85 Saleen#111
    86 SVO 5.3 BW S475
    04 Terminator
    80 Zephyr GS 5.3 4l60

The trunk is far deeper, and the spare tire is up next to the back seat instead of in a well.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

was able to swing by before work... the emissions decal states its a 81 and door tag is 08/80.. so I must be good to go with the F2C..

I just need to order the roll over valve and grommet, and the filler neck grommet..

Today i will be cutting up the Airtex assembly to mount the pump and the pipe to AN fittings..
    85 Saleen#111
    86 SVO 5.3 BW S475
    04 Terminator
    80 Zephyr GS 5.3 4l60

Russell makes adaptors for the type of fittings on the sending unit hanger thing. It worked out great for me. converted the slide-on fittings to -6 AN. If you want me to go to Russell's site and find the specific ones, let me know!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thanks for the offer.. I had already purchased them from earl's.... I am getting ready to order up the vapor valve and the grommet... on the filler neck though.. I think i am a bit confused on the the seal needed.. or the seal isn't the issue, the filler neck tube itself is the one that gets modded?
    85 Saleen#111
    86 SVO 5.3 BW S475
    04 Terminator
    80 Zephyr GS 5.3 4l60

Yeah, the seal isn't the issue. I believe your filler neck will be too big in diameter. You'll need to find one out of an '82 and up car. No one makes them, so the only place you can get one is the junkyard or someone parting out a car. If you do find someone reproducing them, I'd like to know about it though!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Or the other option of cutting and welding a 2 inch diameter tube to the existing neck right?
    85 Saleen#111
    86 SVO 5.3 BW S475
    04 Terminator
    80 Zephyr GS 5.3 4l60

Yeah, but that wouldn't be optimal. I've had a lot of trouble with gas pumps shutting off on me while trying to fill and even spitting gas back at me, and that's with the right filler neck! The filler neck needs that division down the middle so the air in the tank the fuel is displacing has somewhere to go.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I was thinking of just using a -8 rollover valve instead of the $40 dollar OEM one... I would think that would bleed the air out.. another issue now is finding e85 submersible hose ... to use between the pump and the hanger... I have te small piece of hose that came from airtex in a jar full of e85 to see if it swells up or whatever...
    85 Saleen#111
    86 SVO 5.3 BW S475
    04 Terminator
    80 Zephyr GS 5.3 4l60

Quote Originally Posted by safado View Post
    I was thinking of just using a -8 rollover valve instead of the $40 dollar OEM one... I would think that would bleed the air out.. another issue now is finding e85 submersible hose ... to use between the pump and the hanger... I have te small piece of hose that came from airtex in a jar full of e85 to see if it swells up or whatever...
    Haha, cool.

Well, I hope it works out for you. My problem might be some other issue I'm having that I haven't worked out yet.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I am doing a wagon and using a F2C I can't find the airtex e2146s anywhere.. I assume they are discontinued..

Dean, Brad... I think I've got a solution for my Filler Pipe Seal. I removed both my wagon's and the donor (1978 Zephyr sedan). The soft rubber collar from mine is in good condition, The Zephyr's is dried up and splitting up. I made a new steel collar that screws into the underside of the fender, and peeled off the collar side of the Original. I left it sit for a couple months, doing other stuff on the car, and when I looked at it again yesterday, I realized that the flat 'ring' that was vulcanized to the old rusty steel is in bad shape, but the softer bubble with the collar that wraps around the filler can still serve.

My solution is to buy one of the Mustang seals, slit the collar bubble on it, and glue mine with rubber tube repair cement on top of the new mustang collar. The rest of the seals are in nice condition, but that body seal is the one that needs to be replaced.

CJPonyPony and TheMustangShop both carry it:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-fill...-1993/p/FPS11/

https://www.themustangshop.ca/product/2608076/658805
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Good solution! I actually have a Mustang one of those on my car too, that I bought new. I didn't have to modify it since I have the smaller diameter filler neck.

The thing that's NOT available though, is the filler neck itself.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Duplicate post
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

So I just ordered the one from themustangshop.CA. Should be here by Friday from Alberta, Canada. I'll post pics of my ratty ones, later today and the steps to mod the new Mustang unit, once its here. Our Canadian dollar changes daily, and most things take a week to get here from the US, which is fine with me, but I have to take advantage of our weather. We're getting rain, freezing rain and snow for a couple days and then some sunshine over the weekend and warmer temps, toilet seat weather after that.
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

So here's my nasty old Seals and what I started to do to refurbish them:

Name:  Filler Pipe Seal Old_1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  Filler Pipe Seal Old_2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  Filler Pipe Seal Old_3.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  Filler Pipe Seal Old_5.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  Filler Pipe Seal Old_6.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  49.5 KB

Both of the metal plates and the top surface rubber were really rusted through. Even my rubber collar was splitting just below the raised 'bubble' area. I used my non-destructive Black-Strap Molasses mixture for over 6 days to soak off the rust, but that wasn't enough (1 part molasses to 4 parts tap water). Then I used vinegar and water to soak them for another 2 days (2 parts vinegar with 1 part water and a teaspoon of salt for a 3 quart solution) Still no go. but it did take off the worst of it.

Once I get the new Mustang seal, I'll use an Exacto knife and trim off my Fairmont's pipe collar, then trim back the Mustang collar just enough so my Fairmont filler pipe can pass trough, and glue my Fairmont collar to the new one with rubber cement.

Hey Guys, I have a question, I have a 79 Fairmont Futura, I am having fuel tank problems, I am aware the Spectra F2A tank is the correct tank but the sending unit only has a 5/16 feed tube, I need more fuel supply, I understand the 1965-68 mustang is a good replacement is this right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12