Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Painting Booth

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeldevil View Post
    make sure the area is clean like no fresh cut grass but i am not a painter i used to deliver parts and saw a lot of shops doing it they all had hoses out wetting every thing to keep it from flying into the paint i assume
    correct. wetting the ground is a key thing to keep in mind. especially when doing tinting, holy crap dont ask how i know.
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

oh come on do tell

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeldevil View Post
    oh come on do tell

after half a**ing the tint on the sunroof for my 93, i "thought" i would "be able" to tint the rear window. --- --- sooooooo, after realizing the cut thin peice i was using (cannot use one big sheet on compound curve) was still too big, i had to cut it down again, but of course remember, i have to somehow hold the sheet of tint, while getting in the back of the car upside down and closing the hatch some (the only way i found i could "do" it), all the while whenever i try to place the tint on the window the wind would pick up of course, so several hours later (no joke) i finally get the thing (very small piece about 6" high) on the window, but its bubbled up still, and there still is every damn piece of dirt hair and whatnot in there, and when you try to remove it, its immpossible, and of course the damn thing is creasing. by now, i ran out of 4 letter words and was about to have a nervous breakdown.

end result: tint in garbage and rear window still untinted

see what you made me do! a big incoherrent rant

1982 Mustang GT T-Top

EvilTwistedTwins

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    Mercy, we're going to have to talk some more 'bout this.
    whatcha wanna know? lol

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwistedTwins View Post
    I went to school for painting.....and when I painted part of my dads old 67 f100 I wash the walls down and then I get some plastic wall stuff that you nail up on walls....and wash out the garage floor let it dry......I also paint when painting in the garage/at home between 6:30 and 7 AM (ON A CALM DAY) that way its cool when your painting and you can let it bake as the day rolls on.......I also use a gravity fed gun for primer and painting....and its important to use about 3 or more exhaust fans to help vent.....

Can't have said it any better myself.
    *~Brett~*
    1985 Mercury Cougar XR7
    Body work is progress.

Hobbies: Cars (My Mercury & Checker), Guns (Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU & Remington 788

Yes painting inside is much better. When painting outside the fresh paint will draw little bugs / gnats that just love to get stuck in the paint.

My cousin used to paint as a side business in a single car drive under garage. One of his first paint jobs took first place at the NOPI Nationals here is Atlanta back in the late 90s. He got a great reputation and was soon overloaded with jobs. The local Marshal came around and shut him down because of the neighbors complaining about the paint stink all the time.

RIP Brian A. Potter 6/14/64 - 8/22/08
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    Yes painting inside is much better. When painting outside the fresh paint will draw little bugs / gnats that just love to get stuck in the paint.

My cousin used to paint as a side business in a single car drive under garage. One of his first paint jobs took first place at the NOPI Nationals here is Atlanta back in the late 90s. He got a great reputation and was soon overloaded with jobs. The local Marshal came around and shut him down because of the neighbors complaining about the paint stink all the time.

RIP Brian A. Potter 6/14/64 - 8/22/08
    Thanks Ken (and everyone) for great information.

Your cousin passed away at a young age. Always sorry to hear such things.

There is a paint shop at my family's farm that I could use ---- but it's not very close to me.

It's probably a bad idea to try to set up one at home. I come up with some dillies.

i got a bunch of rolls of thin plastic sheets from lowes, and stapled them up on the walls, and then the ceiling (dusty old garage) soaked the floor down wit water, rolled the car over the water, did a final wipe down with paint prep solvent, and painted the car. x2 on painting in the morning. i painted the car at 5:30 am. my goal was to not get anyone pissed about the fumes if i painted it dduring the day. i didnt erven think about it letting the sun heat the garage during the day, good idea. im no professional by any means, and im sure there are better ways to do it, thazts just what i did.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

EvilTwistedTwins

Quote Originally Posted by varn82 View Post
    i got a bunch of rolls of thin plastic sheets from lowes, and stapled them up on the walls, and then the ceiling (dusty old garage) soaked the floor down wit water, rolled the car over the water, did a final wipe down with paint prep solvent, and painted the car. x2 on painting in the morning. i painted the car at 5:30 am. my goal was to not get anyone pissed about the fumes if i painted it dduring the day. i didnt erven think about it letting the sun heat the garage during the day, good idea. im no professional by any means, and im sure there are better ways to do it, thazts just what i did.

Thanks for reminding me as I forgot to add that....You also must whip down the car/parts with as you said a prep solvent.... and I also use a tack cloth before whiping it down with solvent.....

Sounds like you did a great job!

I primed and painted the interior, underside, and engine bay of my project outside in a 10 x 20 tarp shelter. I wrapped the sides with plastic to enclose it. You have to do this on days with no wind or you better have that thing securely attached to the ground. Those side walls catch all the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwistedTwins View Post
    whatcha wanna know? lol
    Well, I'm kinda not sure.

When you said that you knew how to paint cars, I guess mind said, "Okay ---- cool ---- tell me how."

I guess I'm looking for a step-by-step "how-to" on painting cars.

Since there have been a few threads on painting recently, I dug this one up in the event there was useful information in it.

ETT had some good information.

When spring comes, if I'm able, I may revisit the idea of doing some painting myself.

I think my greatest fear is still blowing up the house.

Last edited by dburdyshaw; 12-16-2009 at 07:14 PM.

The biggest problem your going to find with doing anything in your garage etc is keeping the particles etc from getting in the paint. Putting primer on isn't as big of a deal we always did that in the wash bay at my dads shop because you can cut it out afterward. My dads been a painter for over 30 years. I could go on and on if you wish hehe.

I put up some poly in my basement around a window area but it's not working too well. I need a better way to vent. The wife got pretty pissed at me over the paint smell in our new house.......ooops
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by reapers85cat View Post
    The biggest problem your going to find with doing anything in your garage etc is keeping the particles etc from getting in the paint. Putting primer on isn't as big of a deal we always did that in the wash bay at my dads shop because you can cut it out afterward. My dads been a painter for over 30 years. I could go on and on if you wish hehe.
    Feel free to go on.

I was told that I could only have fluorescent lights in the work area because incandescent lights would be a source of ignition. My water heater and the furnace are not in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post

after half a**ing the tint on the sunroof for my 93, i "thought" i would "be able" to tint the rear window. --- --- sooooooo, after realizing the cut thin peice i was using (cannot use one big sheet on compound curve) was still too big, i had to cut it down again, but of course remember, i have to somehow hold the sheet of tint, while getting in the back of the car upside down and closing the hatch some (the only way i found i could "do" it), all the while whenever i try to place the tint on the window the wind would pick up of course, so several hours later (no joke) i finally get the thing (very small piece about 6" high) on the window, but its bubbled up still, and there still is every damn piece of dirt hair and whatnot in there, and when you try to remove it, its immpossible, and of course the damn thing is creasing. by now, i ran out of 4 letter words and was about to have a nervous breakdown.

end result: tint in garbage and rear window still untinted

see what you made me do! a big incoherrent rant

If you decide to try again, the easiest way by far to tint your own rear window on a hatchback is to take the hatch off the car and set it on a table or workbench inside-up (with towels under it to protect the paint, of course). Did my own on the '84 back when I was in high school, and it turned out pretty nice. I used strips about 1/4 the height of the window. The parts-store tinting film started to separate and peel after about 10 years though, so I removed it last winter. Pulled the hatch off to do that too - way easier than working upside-down inside the car.

Rear quarters are small enough that they're easy to do in place; I pulled the interior panels out so I had good access all the way to the edges ...

As for paint booths, I haven't had the courage to try that myself, so no advice there, sorry ... Maybe if I get a place with a big, free-standing shop or something in the future.
    -- Brian

Have:
    '01 Mustang Cobra
    '74 F-100

Had:
    '84½ GT T-top
    '83 GT T-top
    '85 LX V6 Hatchback

Oh no doubt it would be much easier to do with the hatch off.

Just didn't want bother waiting for a helping hand to take the hatch off, then have to put it back on and re-align it! Plus after the sunroof (which was off the car on a table) giving me a hassle I didn't want to do all that and still get pissed at it
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

Feel free to go on.

I was told that I could only have fluorescent lights in the work area because incandescent lights would be a source of ignition. My water heater and the furnace are not in the basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    I put up some poly in my basement around a window area but it's not working too well. I need a better way to vent. The wife got pretty pissed at me over the paint smell in our new house.......ooops
    What is "... not working too well" ???

Something I read recently said that paint stores aren't selling to individuals anymore. That only a shop with a properly vented spray booth with a business license can buy automotive paints & primers.

I haven't verified any of it but it's just something I saw on another site.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

I did a couple half assed jobs in my garage, primered the Jeep and sprayed the bedliner through out the interior and another buddies truck we did bed liner on the whole outside of the truck plus undercoating in the bed.

we did close the garage up to prevent bugs and wind blowing on the paint, not as critical on bed liner but also to help prevent fumes from getting to my neighbors. I used 6 box fans, 2 blowing in and 4 blowing out. I got some cheap hvac filters for the in blowing fans and double stacked the outgoing fans, so i had 2 fans with fans directly behind them. The reason for this is cause i got some towels and draped them infron of the fans then took a holes with some small holes in it and ran it over the towels to keep them wet, like a backwards swamp cooler. It needed the second set of fans to pull air thru it. The towels worked good, had to throw them away when done but they really helped, neighbors barely noticed it at all!

Feel free to go on.

If you have an air exchanger downstairs or install one that will go alone way to solving any problems but you would also want to make sure its filtered really well. Fluorescent should work I personally have old lights from my dads shop that are sealed up and contained in their own box for any painting projects I might do in the garage.
    Humidity is also going to play a factor in anything you paint. As per baking it really varies to what type of paint your using and I would have to ask the old man on the average what they bake their stuff at. And finally if you're planning on doing this fairly often your going to need to make sure you have a decent mask to filter out most of the nasties. They use a respirator kind of setup and it still doesn't get everything out.
    *note* I'm not an expert by any means but I know a fair amount of what goes on having spent so much time out there when I was younger though I'm sure there are more than a few people on this forum that have a better grasp on it than I do.

Interesting info.

Anybody else?

Interesting info.

Anybody else?
    After you have the body work done, it's not. It will never be done. I "thought" I was "done". Primer makes everything look good. When the finished product is laid down, it shows EVERYTHING. Not to discourage you from doing it. My Capri is at best, a 15 footer. Don't look at it too close, pictures make it look better than it is. The actual painting is fun, the prep......is not. Spend the time with the prep work. It sucks, but you will be very happy with the results.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Chris, your Capri is much more than a 15 footer, don't deny yourself. It's a totally sweet car.
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top

prep work really isn't that bad once you have a handle on it. I actually don't mind doing body work so long as I am not cutting rear quarters off and welding a ton of patches I really hate that lol. Just remember the the time you spend sanding primer and getting imperfections out of the body as well as cutting buffing etc pays off in the end. If I knew as much about engines as I did body work I'd be in business!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast