Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Finally my 85 gets work. Only been 5 yrs

I have owned this car for 5 years and finally getting around to getting it going again. this has been through a lot of stages and is finally going back to some what stock. oK mostly but it will have an 86 stock roller motor with stock 85 top end. The exhaust is headers and offroad with no name mufflers. Also a C4 and an 8.8 with 3.73 gears. Will be fun... I have benn cutting out the bad spot this past weekend. I am to a point where I need some one with a welder to get the corner back on it. Oh ya, 5 lug with bullitts. I think it will be white in color when complete.

Before:

During the repair:

After the repair... This one will have to come later.... Like I said I need to find some one to weld this stuff back together and finally paint it.
    Only 1 Four eye left now and it is a 64 fairlane 2 door post! Think 408W with Griggs GR350 suspension!

LOL and stay after it till it's all finished friend.

Dan

nice work. cant wait to see more progress pics.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

that looked nasty
    1980 Mustang Notchback :: 83 5.0 from a truck! t-5 . almost running!

soon to have 7.5 rear from an 82 gt, e7 heads, turbocoupe wheels.

It was nasty and I will stay after it until it is done for sure... I will have some more progress this weekend.
    Only 1 Four eye left now and it is a 64 fairlane 2 door post! Think 408W with Griggs GR350 suspension!

Nice to see it getting some attention again.

Quote Originally Posted by flyintiger View Post
    Nice to see it getting some attention again.
    Yes it is... It got an engine and transmission installed on Saturday. Might have some more time this weekend to get some more done.

Keep at it and you will get it done.

Nice job! Keep us updated with pics and I definitely can't wait to see more!
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985

86 50CPRI

Quote Originally Posted by K PONY View Post
    Keep at it and you will get it done.
    As one of my co-workers said to me.."if you can do an hour a day(which isn't much) by the end of the week you'll have seven hours into it....keep it up,and things will start looking alot different before you know it"

now I need to put that into action myself...

pete

I have been tied up working on 2 other cars for friends... This will get some work done to it this week. The Wife and Daughter are headed to the In-Laws fir a couple days. I will get a lot done while they're away.

I like the thought of the hour a day but it's hard when I leave home @ 4:30 AM and then get back home at 6:30 PM.

The only thing about the car that no one likes but me is the red interior.

Quote Originally Posted by 85Coupe50 View Post
    The only thing about the car that no one likes but me is the red interior.
    I like the red Interior.. I have been stockpiling parts for my next build. Since nobody really likes it Its been easy to get little stuff like trim. The only hard part is dragging around a pair of red Halo frontseats/matching back seat. Cant put those outside.. mice might enjouy them
    A wise man said "Post counts don't mean a thing if you don't know what you're talking about".

PAST 1986 Mustang GT, 1996 Mustang GT
    PRESENT 1984 Mustang GT "FANTASy" 1976 F100 Stepside FE390

Here is the progress from the last 3 days.. Engine more together as well as getting the shofter installed back in the car. Need to get the 8.8 with the 5 lug conversion in as well as the frin 5 lugs. I have a lot to do still but by the months end I bet I can get it running and driving.

Here are some pics and some issues I need o get solved too...

I am putting together a 5.0 with a C4 and need to know what or how to hook up the kickdown rod. I have a stock 85 GT carb but I am not sure where or how to hook up the kickdown rod/linkage. It's stock Ford stuff but the carb is not from the engine that the c4 came from.

Please let me know what you all have done. I am cheap so it will have to be a low buck solution...

Thanks,
    Matt

86 50CPRI

I thought Holley made linkage to convert to a auto kickdown,either that,or the Carbs we used to install came with the linkage.
    As you know,the linkage is only to force a downshift by using the throttle.Very similar to pulling down the shifter-I say similar because manual 2 or manual 1, especially in the earlier trans, activated different hydraulic circuits within the valve body for different apply/holding methods to achieve the proper gear. I drove a 67 Cougar 302/C4 combo for years with out the linkage,mostly due to all the carb swapping I was doing at the time.

Pete

I will have to see what I can do as I need to find a throttle bracket too for the intake. I don't seem to have one of those lying around. Anyone have a picture of one? I could always make one. It's cheaper than buying one if I can find some good pictures. I did find some stuff on holley's website but there were very little install instructions there to know where these things are supose to mount.

OK, I still have to figure out the throttle bracket and kickdown linkage.
    Here is the rest of the work that has been done today. The brakes were removed to be replaced with 87+ brakes with 5 lug rotors. The springs are Saleen Racecraft. I have mounted the accessories aas you can see and hooked up some of the wiring and fuel lines. I still have a lot of work to do and the push is on to get it done.

Have a great weekend everyone.

86 50CPRI

what are you going to do for a PCV system? Those valve covers were meant for a PCV in the intake.I really like the looks of them,but usually there is a spot for the valve....

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    what are you going to do for a PCV system? Those valve covers were meant for a PCV in the intake.I really like the looks of them,but usually there is a spot for the valve....

Pete
    Good question... I will drill a hole in one of the valve covers when I have it off next week for a PCV...

this is how mine is hooked up.I had to buy an exstensions for the end of the kickdown rod (summit has these).this is a 302 with a holley 4160 carb,in a 83 Tbird,but I would think your setup should be pretty much the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by chooglin View Post
    this is how mine is hooked up.I had to buy an exstensions for the end of the kickdown rod (summit has these).this is a 302 with a holley 4160 carb,in a 83 Tbird,but I would think your setup should be pretty much the same.
    Thanks that is a shot that I have been wanting.. Does the kickdown linkage move with the throttle or is activate some other way? I just need need to find the springs that keep everything working right.

Thanks that is a shot that I have been wanting.. Does the kickdown linkage move with the throttle or is activate some other way? I just need need to find the springs that keep everything working right.

the rod itself only moves when throttle is at about 3/4 (near wot).you must adjust this correctly for proper operation though.there is an adjustment screw that determines when the rod begins to move.

Quote Originally Posted by chooglin View Post
    the rod itself only moves when throttle is at about 3/4 (near wot).you must adjust this correctly for proper operation though.there is an adjustment screw that determines when the rod begins to move.
    Can you take a picture of that? I am not sure I have that setup.

Can you take a picture of that? I am not sure I have that setup.
    This should show you what I am talking about.the green arrow shows you the arm that will contact the screw and begin to move the kickdown rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

86 50CPRI

Alot of Holley carbs do not have this linkage

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Alot of Holley carbs do not have this linkage
    true,but it looks as though his carb setup is much like mine.

he is missing this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-20-91/

85coupe50 wich Holley is that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast