Close

Default Let's try this again...Any Electrical Gurus?

I've been having a very hard time getting my front blinkers to work properly. After some testing, adjusting, and fidgeting with wires, it mainly boils down to this: My right hand parking light stays on even when the blinker is on, the left one doesn't. Ive cleaned both grounds near the radiator support, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any ideas? sggestions?

FEP Member

check the back bet the bulb is burn out...
    99 gt with 03 cobra swap and tko600
    05 Saleen Stage II Procharged
    04 Durango
    01 CRV

Quote Originally Posted by mlchristopher View Post
    I've been having a very hard time getting my front blinkers to work properly. After some testing, adjusting, and fidgeting with wires, it mainly boils down to this: My right hand parking light stays on even when the blinker is on, the left one doesn't. Ive cleaned both grounds near the radiator support, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any ideas? sggestions?
    are both filaments in the bulbs good?

cale

The bulbs are new - isnt the parking light supposed to go out when the blinker is on? it only makes sense...If so, the issue is that the right hand parking light won't go out. Bad ground?

Had a similar problem on the Futura. The socket itself was corroded internally. Replaced the socket and it worked O.K.

The sockets sem to work fine when I touch my tester to them, I just need more information on the grounds - is there another place I should check, or just the two wires on either side of the radiator support?

i am not an electrical expert by any means, but it does sound like a ground issue still. possibly backfeeding through the parking light to find its ground, illuminating the parking light. i dont want to send you in the wrong direction, but its a possibility. what is the resistance of the ground terminal in the socket and the body of the vehicle. i had an issue similar with mine, and had a corroded wire in the harness, i cut out and replaced the rotted wire, and all my lights work mint now.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

I haven't tested the resistance, but that sounds like a reasonable diagnosis... I'll try to figure out how to check the resistance and do it tomorrow. Does the ground wire run from the frame to the socket? If so, that would be the culprit, right?

Remove the bulb. Use a test light. Connect the clamp of the test light to the negative battery terminal. Turn on the parking lights. Touch the probe of the test light to the two prongs inside the socket WITHOUT letting it come in contact with the outer metal ring around the inside of the socket. (That would blow a fuse.) It should light the test light on only one terminal, which would be your parking light terminal. Next, turn the parking lights off, turn the turn signal on. (make sure you are turning the correct side on for the side you are working on and make sure the key is in the on position.) Check the prongs again. The other should be the only one that lights now. If you have problems with either or these two tests, you need to figure out why. If there is no power, you need to check wiring, fuses and the switches. If there is power on both terminals at the same time with only one circuit turned on, you need to remove all of the other bulbs in the car, testing again as you remove each one until the problem goes away. Don't hesitate to recheck for proper bulb installation. A single filament bulb in a dual filament socket will cause this problem. If there are two prongs at the bottom of the socket, there need to be two metal contacts on the base of the bulb. As for checking the ground, you can do that with the test light too. Connect the clamp of the test light to the positive battery terminal. Then touch the probe of the test light to the metal ring around the inside of the socket. If it lights, your ground is good. Don't worry about a resistance reading. If the test light lights nice and bright, your ground is good enough for your turn signal bulb do the same. I hope this helps. Let us know your test results.
    Last edited by bigjason_5; 05-17-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Thanks jason, I haven't tested the ground in the socket, so I'll do that. I will do some more testing and definitely let you know what transpires.

Quote Originally Posted by mlchristopher View Post
    My right hand parking light stays on even when the blinker is on, the left one doesn't.
    The right one is working as designed. The front park lamp is not supposed to turn
    off when the blinkers are on. If the left one is doing that, there's a bad ground.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune