Close

Default Capri - 1st pass of 2011

Finally got my stuff together on the Capri and made it to the track yesterday. It was actually the first day of points so I thought it a good idea to take a car that hadnt made a pass yet and have a go at it

My winter upgrades this year consisted of getting rid of the POS tubular center mount header and installing a much modified Bob Log center mount (added my external gate). Also changed my intercooler from a NPR to one that fit my lower air dam better (and sealed the ducting) ...

Last years engine combo ...

To this ...

I also got a SFI bellhousing set up into the car ... Big deal for me. Nothing I did this winter was intended to make the car faster, in reality it as all just for durability.

Got one pass yesterday before the rain came ... Lousy 60' spinning, then I speed shifted rather than a typical power shift. Car went

1.64 in 60', 7.84 @ 88.11 in the 1/8th, 12.33 @ 111.14 in the 1/4. I'm real happy with it at this point, what I had in the car for boost would have been my 12.50 type package last year (safe bracket combo). I wish I could of got one more pass, but at least nothing fell off ... lots left in the combo with tuning.

Video for reference ...

http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/...riPass2011.mp4

Nothing great, but it's racing
    Last edited by martin0660; 05-08-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Awesome!! New combo looks more efficient, as far as piping goes. I'd be willing to bet, sealing that air intake in the fender helps a lot, too!!

ROb

Nice times Bob. If I can ever get all my parts here I may get mine to the track this year.

Dan

Cool setup! Looks like the track has been cleaned up since I was there last.
    ~Bryan

1985 Mustang GT w/ T-Tops, Original Paint, 160,XXX miles
    Mods: 600cfm Carb, Underdrive Pulleys, Subframe Connectors, 4pt G-Load Brace, MM Strut Tower brace, 8.8 rear w/ 3.55 gears & LCA's

Pics from production of "The Saleen Book"
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1027847075

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1271.htm

Mike Croke

Very nice Bob. Did I see the board show 114.14mph?

What turbo blanket are you using? I'd like to get something to hide the old turbo on our Capri.

That's a big battery you're running.

FEP Super Member

Nice engine bay, looks awesome.

You smoked that chevy truck lol...
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

Thanks everyone. Nothing great, but it's running now

Quote Originally Posted by bkoons85gt View Post
    Looks like the track has been cleaned up since I was there last.
    It's frustrating at times, but it's "home" for me and it's still open. Every year they at least put something into the facility ... This year we got new longer burnout pads and a lot of paving in the pits (still lots of gravel)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croke View Post
    Did I see the board show 114.14mph?
    Part of this years upgrades was those new LED score boards. They struggled all day with the timing system and those things. They actually dont "flash" like you see in the video when viewing them live either. I was in the lanes for over an hour and a half, warmed the car and strapped in 5 times only to stop while they played with sensors and blocks. It was a frustrating day for the track and the racers ... early season bugs are rampant.

It's funny, the video looks like 114, all my buddies thought it was 117 live, but the time slip is 111.14.

What turbo blanket are you using? I'd like to get something to hide the old turbo on our Capri.
    It's off eBay ... Last years combo had a T3/T4 style one and it was big, but worked real well with the POS centermount header to protect the wires. I went with a smaller T3 turbine model this year and it fits much better.

For you car with the stock WGA, I'm not sure if you can get away with one. It adds over 1/2" all around the turbine and "might" get into the WGA arm as it passes under the turbine. I'm external so it's no issue for me.

That's a big battery you're running.
    I have been using the small batteries since I put this car together. I simply did not want to go through everything that is required to do a legal trunk mount, especially in a hatch. 12#'s on the nose was better than everything needed to be legal in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by mattquerio View Post
    You smoked that chevy truck lol...
    That's what I do ... It's funny, but the class I run is a 12 flat lowest dial in so I'm usually at the fastest in the class ... some advantage to that in bracket racing, plus it helps your ego even if you arent really that fast My buddies that I race (in the video at times) with both have much faster cars, but we have more fun with mine (one is a 79 pace car at 9.80's, the other a 89 hatch at 10.20's)
    Bob Myers ©

Nice times out of that SVO man!
    1993 triple white GT
    2004 AZ Mach 1
    2003 zinc yellow Cobra
    1983 410 Windsor tko 500

Quote Originally Posted by 2camsam View Post
    Nice times out of that SVO man!
    hey now, that's a capri!

beautiful car btw, i always love watching your track videos. do you think it will be more consistent now? i remember you saying it was either bog or burn before. pretty good pass for the first one of the season for sure.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    do you think it will be more consistent now?
    That was sort of the plan with this years upgrades. The car is as consistent as a turbocharged 4 cylinder with a stick shift can be ... it bracket races every week and goes rounds so it's not terrible, but always can be improved. The inconsistency was from parts breakage, mostly centered around the POS tubular header.

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    i remember you saying it was either bog or burn before.
    That's more or less a 2.3 issue in general, I've moved past that some time ago. My combo is such it either goes or spins now. I leave off the rev limiter so it's just a matter of finding a RPM it likes to keep out of hard spin ... My stuff always hits the tires a turn or so.
    Bob Myers ©

Good to see you getting some seat time. With the constant rain this spring none of us have been getting much. We've been rained out 6 of 8 scheduled race dates so far at BSD, I don't suppose it's been any better at PRP.

It's always a good race day when nothing breaks, even more so the first run of the year after having made some changes.

Maybe eventually the monsoon season will end and we'll get to race every week.

Good luck this season!
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    We've been rained out 6 of 8 scheduled race dates so far at BSD, I don't suppose it's been any better at PRP.
    Nope, they got in ONE test and tune last Saturday, then this was the first points day and we only got one time trial before it rained (two classes got two).... still zero for the year on race days right now ... Simply amazing how bad it's been this year.

Good luck this season!
    You too Mike ... I am trying to find a way to get up to BSD to race a Friday night with you guys ... Didnt seem to work out last year, but I need to see if I can cut it with you guys on that pro tree
    Bob Myers ©

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    I am trying to find a way to get up to BSD to race a Friday night with you guys ... Didnt seem to work out last year, but I need to see if I can cut it with you guys on that pro tree
    I'm sure you'll do better on the pro tree than I do on a sportsman. I always either doze or redlight on the full tree, never anything in-between.

Your car reacts quick so you'll be fine. I noticed when I had the junk yard motor in my car the year before last that all of a sudden I couldn't cut a decent light. I finally realized that I wasn't doing anything different but the car had so much less power that it wasn't getting moving fast enough to net a decent R/T. Sure enough as soon as I got the good motor back the R/T's went back to normal.

It's rained so much it's got me gun shy. We had one race back on April 15 and I got knocked out in the first round. The next trip we got rained out after one round of time shots, so this past week when the forecast wasn't too good I didn't go and sure enough they got the races in.

So here I sit in 13th place in points, a position otherwise known as dead last. At least the only way to go from here is up!

It'd be great if you can make it down to the Beaver sometime this year. We always have a good time. They've done some work on the track these last two years and it's hooking better than it ever did before. Come on down!
    408/T5/3.73's

Your car reacts quick so you'll be fine.
    LOL, as long as most of the racers there are sportmen and courtesy stage I would be okay.

Most smucks try to double bulb me thinking it will do something for them ... It's no issue on a sportsman tree because that's more than enough time, but on a pro tree I could get caught.

In the video you can actually see the guy double bulb me on a time trial ??? I wont do it in TT's, but if they do it in eliminations I hope they brought a lunch because I'm getting myself fully ready before I put any bulb on and that might take a while ...
    Bob Myers ©

Wow. I can only dream that mine will pull 12's someday. Very nice.
    85 Turbocoupe
    86 GT. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    LOL, as long as most of the racers there are sportmen and courtesy stage I would be okay.

Most smucks try to double bulb me thinking it will do something for them ... It's no issue on a sportsman tree because that's more than enough time, but on a pro tree I could get caught.

In the video you can actually see the guy double bulb me on a time trial ??? I wont do it in TT's, but if they do it in eliminations I hope they brought a lunch because I'm getting myself fully ready before I put any bulb on and that might take a while ...
    The regulars are good about it but there's always some newer guys that you don't know what you'll get from them. I like to creep up on the lights myself so I know what you mean.

Some guys run up to the lights so fast I don't know how they don't wind up deep staged. It's like pre-stage, stage, boom, one motion!

The newer guys who will double bulb me usually have a car that's a good bit slower than mine so it's not too big of a problem for me as I can still get staged in time and then have a couple seconds before my side of the tree flashes to get ready. It would be a problem if the double bulber was as fast or faster than me because I probably wouldn't be up on the two step and ready to go when I got the flash, but the guys driving those cars don't tend to do that to you. They've been around and know about these things. I don't think the new guys do it on purpose, they just don't know any better.
    408/T5/3.73's