Close

Default Electrical question

Does anyone know where the power comes into the dash...into the fuse panel from? I have the Nordskog digital panel and it's sensitive to voltage drop. When my headlights are one and my a/c is running, it says I am at 238 degrees, but my volt meter drops to 12.1. Instantly when I turn off the headlights and a/c my voltmeter jumps to 13.5+ and my temp Instantly drops to 200.

I used the factory 12v lead for the cluster, then got an add a circuit plug in fuse and probed all over the fuse panel find fuses that don't drop voltage when the starter is engaged. There aren't many...most drop. I am trying to avoid a rat's nest of extra wiring, and looking to avoid putting a relay and power feed directly from the battery to the gauges, but I guess that's what I'll have to break down and do.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Sounds like you don't have enough power from the alternator. Did you check voltage at the battery with all your consumers on?
    1985 Mercury Capri GS - 5.0, 5-Speed, Ported E7s, FMS F303, TFS Valve Springs, Summit Stage 2 Intake, Holley Street Avenger 570, BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-Pipe, Flowmasters, Dumps, FRPP HD Clutch, Pro 5.0, Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tons of satisfaction when I can say, "I just beat you with a Mercury!"

1983 Mercury Capri RS Crimson Cat - 5.0, 4-Speed, T-roof.

Do you have underdrives and or a stock alternator?
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

If your digital gauges fluctuate in reading due to variations in line voltage of ~+/-2 volts then Id say those digital gauges are poorly designed. Variation of +/-2 volts is NORMAL for a normally operating system with varying loads. For all the stones thrown at the stock gauge system (and Ive thrown my own) the use of an IVR that drops voltage to ~5V at the gauges generally alleviates gauge fluctuations due to normal line voltage fluctuations.

T
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.