Close

Default Supension question

Ok, so I'm right in the middle of the restoration on my 86 GT. I notice the car is leaning on the left front. I want to redo the suspension and am leaning toward the Steeda Sport springs. My question is, what would be the best shock and strut set up. Does Steeda make a complete set? I need help with this. I'm sure it has been asked before.
    Thanks.

Depends on what your plans are with it, dragracing, road course, daily driving, weekend cruises. What are your plans?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you dont take."
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing right."

I recently Installed the KYB shocks & struts on my 84 GT vert and It has a sporty ride. On the crappy michigan roads It Is mot the greatest ride (you feel every bump). On the nice roads and smooth expressway It handles & drives GREAT ! If you are looking for a nice ride and a cruiser I would go with a goor stock replacement but if you want handling get the KYB's or somthing like that.

FEP Senior Member

I had Steeda springs and Tokico adjustable shocks on my '91 coupe. I loved those shocks. I could dial 'em in for good handling or I could ease up on 'em for nice ride.
    Ron Gibson

'84 GT Turbo - Under construction - Build Thread - Maximum Motorsports, Cobra R, Boport, Chuck W, Stinger, Turbo_Dad MegaSquirt
    '83 Thunderbird TC - Bone Stock

I agree with psrumors, I haven't driven mine much yet, I also have the steeda sport springs, and Tokico Illumina 5way adjustable shocks and struts. I have them set at the softest setting, and from the little driving I've done, it seems to ride nicely, and I still have plenty of adjustment to stiffen it up if I want.
    306 roller motor, alum heads 2.02/1.60, eagle forged rods, srp forged flat tops,Comp cam, Eddy air gap, Eddy 800 thunder series, BBK equal shorties, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce aluminum flywheel and dual friction clutch, aluminum driveshaft, 8.8 w/3.55 gears, etc.

http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww337/83snake/

Thanks everyone, I will be using this as my summer daily driver. Will I need camber plates or are the stock strut supports enough? Sorry if the questions seem stupid, I know nothing about suspension except what I read on FEP.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentX1 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I will be using this as my summer daily driver. Will I need camber plates or are the stock strut supports enough? Sorry if the questions seem stupid, I know nothing about suspension except what I read on FEP.
    The general rule with suspesion stuff is the more adjustibility the better. However, this not only requires the user (you) to know something about suspension dynamics, the use of the vehicle and the coarse/road to be driven, but it also requires trial and error tinkering. Thus, adjustibility is a double edged sword; in my book this adjustibility is way too much stuff to deal with for a street car that sees occasional track time. For my money and because I don't want to hassle with suspension adjustments, I chose Bilstein dampers - in my case with coil overs (yes I know they are adjustible, but I'm after the ride quality - set it once and I'm done). Some will argue that the Bils are too expensive given that they are non-adjustable but that assumes one wants that choice. No one will argue that the Bils aren't quality dampers that will take almost anything thrown at them from a suspenion perspective. Thus, when I was running C springs with Monroe Formula GPs, it was clear that these dampers were under performers and ride quality suffered - yet, these were the damper of choice on some Saleen cars. When I moved to the Bils and used the same spring, it was a night and day improvement. Going to C/Os is an order of magnitude improvement ride qualty wise and the bonus - the C/Os control suspension articulation, front suspenion grip and body roll much better. If you only know about suspension stuff from your reading, you might want to read a bunch more before making a decsion on your suspension components. On the other hand, it's your money; there are lots of vendors and guys with no stake in you situation willing to help you make a decison - myself included.

Regarding CC plates, this is more adjustibility. However, on this piece I believe getting them is worth it. This is because the stock fixed upper mount has no adjustment at all, which means if you lower the car you will be unable to even get stock alignment settings. As a result, tire wear excellerates. I'd do the CC plates and I recommend Maximum Motorsport pieces.
    Last edited by qtrracer; 05-09-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I'd do the CC plates and I recommend Maximum Motorsport pieces.
    +2 I just bought a set and man these are Beautifal Pieces and the magnitude of adjustability on them is far better than others i have seen, in all the advice you get keep this at the front "You Get What You Pay For" especially with suspension parts it seems
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

Bilstein dampers, Eibach, Steeda, or H&R springs, and MM Caster/Camber Plates. Do it once, do it right, and be done!

Just my .02

I put a set of ford racing springs in my cruiser, lowered it 1 inch in the front and 3/4 in the back. It helped with the handling and gave it an agressive look but the ride was still comfortable. I have also have experience with the eibach springs but I would not recomend them for cruising.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you dont take."
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing right."

Quote Originally Posted by Nlped View Post
    Bilstein dampers, Eibach, Steeda, or H&R springs, and MM Caster/Camber Plates. Do it once, do it right, and be done!

Just my .02
    Maximum Told Me If You Can't Afford Bilsteins, than the only Other Option Is D-Specs, and If You Cant Afford Those Than you need to go a complete diff direction like staying stock they were very blunt about shocks because they make such a huge difference in handling
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.