Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Most of us cougar/bird guys were using those springs in the rear. It dropped it pretty good. Maybe too much for me, some were using adjustable rear lower cont arms to get the ride height dialed in for them.
    I was just looking at the moog site and what I've found for spring numbers at rock auto and the rear spring for an LTD LX is the same as what they show for the rear of an 85GT of the same year.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

That wasn't the 'Moog site'... It was an "independent Moog parts dealer".

Here is the Federal-Mogul tech site:
    http://www.fme-cat.com/

Interesting that this topic has come back to life. I'd like to go with stiffer rear springs on my car but most Mustang springs are too low. Might have to check out the Moog catalog to see what options are out there.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    Interesting that this topic has come back to life. I'd like to go with stiffer rear springs on my car but most Mustang springs are too low. Might have to check out the Moog catalog to see what options are out there.
    The coils on the wagon were .589, while the LTD LX were .620
    The 823 are substantially stouter then the 821 that come stock on the LX. Rock auto lists the 823, 821 and the 8597 as replacementss for the rear of an 86 LTD. I imagine the wagon would normally have the 823's but the coil diameter is too small on mine.
    For what it's worth the H+R race are close to the standard LTD LX springs, in rate from what I can tell, they are 11.5 free standing whereas the LTD LX are 12.29.
    Last edited by David Claflin; 08-08-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Quote Originally Posted by ratio411 View Post
    That wasn't the 'Moog site'... It was an "independent Moog parts dealer".

Here is the Federal-Mogul tech site:
    http://www.fme-cat.com/
    True, but that information is still correct as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    Oddly enough I have found that Amazon.com has the most complete "what else does this part fit" listing for these springs. I pulled a set of Thunderbird V8 springs out of the junk yard for use on the Lemons Futura after a long search of the internet. The Moog 8599 spring used in the back of the Fairmont wagons is also a stock Tbird part, and seems like the stiffest of the factory options.

Which brings me to my next question: Anyone know the stock ride height? Either the factory spec, and where its measured, or just with a tape measure to some standard point with stock springs and tires. I don't need to be super exact, but my car was lowered with a torch before I got it and I want to know where it sits now in relation to that.

Woody

Huh, good to know.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

I measured the LTD LX rear springs, they were .620 coil diameter. The LTD wagon rear springs were .589. According to rockauto.com there are a couple different springs for these cars. The 8823 is the stiffest available, and they are supposed to be in the wagons, not sure why mine doesn't have them, but it gives me options to upgrade depending how it behaves at the track.

Forget all that. Go to www.coilsprings.com call them. Dont emIl or you will never hear from them. Tell them what you have exactly what height difference you want from stock and how much of a springrate increase you want over stock. They will wind you a custom made set to youe specs. When i had them do the springs for my tempo (o.ly stock replacements are available and i wanted it lowered and stiffer) i got a 2" drop in front 1.5 in back and a 25% rate increase all around. Spent about 300 shipped. 6 weeks later i got them and they lowered the car exactly what i said and they were stiff enoigh to not bottom out my stock struts but still ride good.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome_Rush View Post
    Forget all that. Go to www.coilsprings.com call them. Dont emIl or you will never hear from them. Tell them what you have exactly what height difference you want from stock and how much of a springrate increase you want over stock. They will wind you a custom made set to youe specs. When i had them do the springs for my tempo (o.ly stock replacements are available and i wanted it lowered and stiffer) i got a 2" drop in front 1.5 in back and a 25% rate increase all around. Spent about 300 shipped. 6 weeks later i got them and they lowered the car exactly what i said and they were stiff enoigh to not bottom out my stock struts but still ride good.
    Bumping an old thread!

I may talk to these guys. I would like a higher spring rate than what the LTD LX had come with (275). Maybe a 300# spring.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    I may talk to these guys. I would like a higher spring rate than what the LTD LX had come with (275). Maybe a 300# spring.
    Did you talk to them? This wagon I picked up has mustang lowering springs, and air shocks in the back. Moog has discontinued the CC823, so I need something to use in this heap.

Found these on Ebay, but it lists them as T-bird/sedan
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-Coil-S...Fas6wU&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by David Claflin; 03-22-2018 at 09:00 AM.

FEP Senior Member

Rockauto lists a Delco p/n 45H2082 for the wagons that looks similar to the specs you listed for the Moog 8599. In fact it is the only rear wagon spring they list.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...131590&jsn=473
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Rockauto lists a Delco p/n 45H2082 for the wagons that looks similar to the specs you listed for the Moog 8599. In fact it is the only rear wagon spring they list.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...131590&jsn=473
    Weird, I initially only checked 84 LTD, and it listed one option, and that one was out of stock. I ordered a set through JC Whitney via the link I posted earlier.

FEP Member

Steer clear of Moog CC (Cargo Coils)....your car will be lifted more than stock...aka "four by four mode". I don't care what the specs say. Been there done that many many times on a 1984 LX 5.0, 1989 Taurus, 1985 Nova, and they wouldn't even fit on my 1963 Falcon, and on my 1989 Bronco II I had so much positive camber it was unsafe, and it was awful looking. (Yes, I used to work at CARQUEST which was Moog suspension). Your better off going with Eibach, BBK, FMS, or others and lower the car slightly (0" to 1/2" if you want stock looking) in the process.
    Terry

78 Fairmont Sedan V8 - Factory black interior, factory A/C, No longer a SHO project, t/c 8.8 diff w/ 3.73LS
    85 LTD LX - Black, 5.0L CFI, crank windows
    93 Mustang LX 5.0L notch - original owner, 20k original miles
    17 F250 - My RV Trailer, projects, and car hauler vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SHOmont View Post
    Steer clear of Moog CC (Cargo Coils)....your car will be lifted more than stock...aka "four by four mode". I don't care what the specs say. Been there done that many many times on a 1984 LX 5.0, 1989 Taurus, 1985 Nova, and they wouldn't even fit on my 1963 Falcon, and on my 1989 Bronco II I had so much positive camber it was unsafe, and it was awful looking. (Yes, I used to work at CARQUEST which was Moog suspension). Your better off going with Eibach, BBK, FMS, or others and lower the car slightly (0" to 1/2" if you want stock looking) in the process.
    Thanks, already got them, first thing I did before putting them in was cut a coil off...LOL!

On my 79 Zephyr wagon with a small block and A/C, I would like to have a lowered stance along with excellent handling. I am installing an AJE front K-member, Mustang GT rack and spindles.
    So, here are my questions:
    1) Which front and rear coil springs will give me a lowered (2" all around) stance?
    2) If I decide to go with coil-overs what front spring rate do you recommend?
    3) What brand/source is a good low cost coil over?
    4) With a lowered stance what type of rack bushing do I need, off-set or standard?

Maximum motorsports is a great place to ask about coil overs, or AJE seeing's how you've got their K-member. Ive had H&R race and super sport springs in a couple different cars, along with bilstien struts and shocks. I'll say that the spring choice isn't as important as what you use for struts/shocks. They can make or break it when it comes to ride quality.

FEP Senior Member

Dredging this thing back up after it appears somebody bought the last set of Delco 45H2082 wagon specific rear springs (hopefully it went to somebody here). I also see that Moog has discontinued the CC823 and those are not available anywhere. I did find that RockAuto does still have (5 in stock) a spring by Mevotech p/n SMS823V which I believe is the same as a CC823. I also saw a cross reference for the Delco 45H2082 to a Moog 8797, but the Moog 8797 is also discontinued. I did find a Duralast RCS8797S on AutoZone's website which I can only assume is equivalent to the Moog 8797.

So it looks like if you want a really stiff rear spring the CC823/SMS823V is your option. I am assuming the 45H2082/8797 would be comparable to a stock wagon rear spring. Here is where I get confused. According to earlier posts in this thread there is also the Moog 8599 and a Delco 45H2040 which also looks to be comparable to the 45H2082, but it is listed for the earlier Fairmont 4 cylinder wagons only. Why would the rear spring for a Fairmont wagon be any different from the later LTD wagon??

Ultimately the rear on my wagon is sagging and I'd like to get it back to stock ride height and weight carrying capability (not going to be hauling a boat, but we do use this for family vacations and road trips so it needs to be able to handle our gear). Does anybody have any ride/handling experience with the stiffer 823 springs and/or the softer stock springs? I'll admit the ride on this thing is pretty floaty right now, but it also has old shocks and tiny 14" tires which will both be changed soon.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I know I am bumping an old thread, but I felt it was an important enough reason to.

Moog no longer makes the CC821 and CC823 springs for the “big foxes,” and in an effort to find possible replacements I stumbled across the brand Mevotech. They list part numbers SMS821V and SMS823V, but I couldn’t find any specs on them so I shot their tech department an email and got this response:

SMS821V
    Free height: 12.29”
    Installed height: 9.25”
    Load capacity: 804Lbs
    Spring rate: 275Lbs per in.

SMS823V
    Free height: 12.63”
    Installed height: 10.25”
    Load capacity: 808Lbs
    Spring rate: 340Lbs per in.

These are identical to the former Moog springs. So there are still options for the non mustang guys still out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12