Close

Default mods on my 79 clusters

I just wanted to share the digital conversion I've done. this is part of the 83-85 mustang kit from nordskog, tricky to install without the tacho and speedo center panel which is the master piece of the kit.
    I just wanted to keep my new 140 mph speedo and don't like the digital center gauge, the result is nice, and it was custom built for metric unit.

I just still have to fix the calibration of the oil pressure, that is supposed to be in bar unit but read about twice the pressure seen on my mecanical gauge: I guess the stock sender doesn't work with this gauge even if nordskog tech dept said it would...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    All forged 331 + Keith craft cnc'd brodix 195 + Astro performance T5 = 3 good reasons for fun

I'm not a digital gauge fan, but that looks really nice. Good job.

I want digital guages but with a carbed car, I dont see how its possible to make them work. I wanted Cynadine or whatever they're called guages. BEcause they come in red LED. I just dont see how they would work.

allenpul

I like it... Do they have it in Red? I am looking to do something special on my 86 Stang Vert.

I looked at the kit, how did you get the tach and speedo to remain stock? Is there a different kit you used?
    Last edited by allenpul; 04-16-2009 at 01:38 AM.

allenpul

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    I want digital guages but with a carbed car, I dont see how its possible to make them work.
    Why wouldnt they work? The guages use senders mounted in the engine, Oil, Temp, Voltage, and the fuel guage is off the sender in the tank. They work just like regular guages.

Quote Originally Posted by allenpul View Post
    I looked at the kit, how did you get the tach and speedo to remain stock? Is there a different kit you used?
    We worked together on this one (we are neighbours ) ...
    The full kit in itself if made of three parts ... left gauges/tach-speedo/right gauges. You can buy gauges individually (which wasn't the easiest solution for installation) or the full kit (he didn't like the digital speedo and tach), but he managed to get a special order for the side-gauges only, in metric.

Wiring is not difficult ... the factory harness is left where it belongs so didn't need to re-wire the tach and bulbs (speedo is not electric) ... we first tapped on the factory harness to feed the side-gauges but it didn't worked well so he ended making a dedicated harness ... gauges works way better except the oil pressure gauges that still reads twice the actual pressure.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Quote Originally Posted by allenpul View Post
    Why wouldnt they work? The guages use senders mounted in the engine, Oil, Temp, Voltage, and the fuel guage is off the sender in the tank. They work just like regular guages.
    I didnt know that. Would you just plug them up the same way as analog guages and then calibrate them somehow?

That looks pretty cool !

Scott
    ~Scott~

1985 Mustang GT
    Medium Canyon Red Metallic Exterior ~ Sand Beige / Buckskin Interior

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang View Post
    We worked together on this one (we are neighbours ) ...
    The full kit in itself if made of three parts ... left gauges/tach-speedo/right gauges. You can buy gauges individually (which wasn't the easiest solution for installation) or the full kit (he didn't like the digital speedo and tach), but he managed to get a special order for the side-gauges only, in metric.

Wiring is not difficult ... the factory harness is left where it belongs so didn't need to re-wire the tach and bulbs (speedo is not electric) ... we first tapped on the factory harness to feed the side-gauges but it didn't worked well so he ended making a dedicated harness ... gauges works way better except the oil pressure gauges that still reads twice the actual pressure.

What do you mean it didn't work well with the factory harness? I am in the process of wiring my gauges and I was going to tap into the factory wiring.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by zozolivier View Post
    I just wanted to share the digital conversion I've done. this is part of the 83-85 mustang kit from nordskog, tricky to install without the tacho and speedo center panel which is the master piece of the kit.
    I just wanted to keep my new 140 mph speedo and don't like the digital center gauge, the result is nice, and it was custom built for metric unit.

I just still have to fix the calibration of the oil pressure, that is supposed to be in bar unit but read about twice the pressure seen on my mecanical gauge: I guess the stock sender doesn't work with this gauge even if nordskog tech dept said it would...
    That looks awesome.......I like the digital only on the sides, it's different......I am now looking into doing the same thing (but all digital)..........and they do have them in red for everyone else that asked......it's a little on the expensive side but I think it looks cool........and again different!

does anybody around here has pictures of a complete nordskog 1983-86 digital kit thats already installed?

Quote Originally Posted by 69clark View Post
    What do you mean it didn't work well with the factory harness? I am in the process of wiring my gauges and I was going to tap into the factory wiring.
    All gauges were flickering ... not sure the reason but i guess it was related to the IVR due to the frequency of the variations.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

I just wired up all my autometer gauges last night and tapped into all the stock wiring (except tach) and it all seems to work well.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

FEP Member

I just wired up all my autometer gauges last night and tapped into all the stock wiring (except tach) and it all seems to work well.
    Pics?

Well this is from before I wired them up, but I guess they look the same now, lol.

Tom

I really dig the 8 track player with the elvis tape.

FEP Member

Well this is from before I wired them up, but I guess they look the same now, lol.

Don't mean to hijack your thread Zo.......69 did you make the dash yourself? Florida 5.0?

Started with an MC Machine dash (site supporter) and then after some carbon fiber, and some customization you get the hybrid you see above.
    Tom

allenpul

One thing you may wanbt to consider is getting a 8 grand tach from a 4 cylinder Turbo Mustang. There is a mod you must do to place this in to a V8. I have the link some where but I think its on Fletch's website.

Pics attached.

Thanks for your comments, I just forgot to activate the email notification ...

I like the way it match the clock, and I think about using a radio with a digital screen like the clock too... but I like too my 8 track tape player that is pure 70's.

I put some more pictures from inside, just to say that the plastic lens is a pain to cut...
    All forged 331 + Keith craft cnc'd brodix 195 + Astro performance T5 = 3 good reasons for fun

FEP Member

Those are nice, I am looking to use a MC machine plate with the 3 3/8 tach and speedo, and four 2 1/16 gauges, plus 3 2 1/16 guages in the console where the warning indicator and clock are.
    85 GT...work in progress

69Clark has my favorite afttermarket steering wheel.